Talk

Advanced search

Would you get the swine flu jab when TTC?

(8 Posts)
InnocentRedhead Thu 13-Jan-11 06:50:01

This is something that i am seriously considering. I have looked into everything and i feel it would be the right thing to do for me, especially as i am TTC.

So, if you could actually get hold of a doctor with them, would you have the swine flu jab?

Iggly Thu 13-Jan-11 12:22:53

Hi Innocent, I'm TTC and have had the jab last week. I went to boots and paid for it. I've had the flu jab in previous years and see this years flu jab as no different.

IslandIsla Thu 13-Jan-11 12:44:28

I also got it at Boots last month, mainly because I am TTC.

MummyAbroad Thu 13-Jan-11 14:47:38

I have just had mine done. I dont think there is any problem at all especially as GP's are recommending that pregnant women have them whatever stage of pregnancy you are at. I would rather do it while TTC than while pregnant. If you are worried you can always do it in the first half of your cycle to be sure you are not hurting your chances in anyway.

MrsSatsuma Thu 13-Jan-11 19:04:12

No! Sorry to sound mean (and I know I can talk as I get it anyway due to asthma...) but there are people who really need it due to other medical issues and a national shortage. Definitely get it if/when you get pregnant, but while there's a shortage leave it for the ones who really need it. Aside from anything else flu season doesn't last very much longer (according to the MN doctor webchat a week or so ago). If there weren't a national shortage I'd say definitely, but as there is, and you might not get pregnant for a while (you might get pg next month too, but you don't know either way), please let the people on the high-risk list get it first. [runs away and hides from all the rotten tomatoes about to be thrown in anger]

MummyAbroad Thu 13-Jan-11 19:34:10

satsuma Is there really a shortage? I was just reading that some surgeries have had large uptakes while others have surplus stocks. Shortage of organisational skills maybe? wink

Anyway, I would have thought that if innocent gets vaccinated she is not only protecting herself but doing something for the greater good of the community too because if more people who get vaccinated the more difficult it is for the virus to spread around.

As she is not in an at risk group (yet! hope you get your BFP soon!) then she would have to pay privately anyway, so she is not using NHS stocks and therefore not taking away the vaccine from someone who needs it more.

MrsSatsuma Thu 13-Jan-11 20:09:56

Maybe I'm wrong - everywhere I read about it it seems there is a shortage, but I could have missed the bit about some areas having a shortage. The thing I was worried about is that part of the reason GP surgeries are running out is because places like Tesco have bought up a lot of the stocks. While this isn't anyone's fault but the supermarkets', I'd still feel bad... Good point about not spreading it though.

TBH I have to add that I'm not hugely sympathetic to the ones in the high risk groups who are now saying they can't get it... surgeries start offering it in October - be more organised for goodness' sake!!

IslandIsla Thu 13-Jan-11 20:39:03

The reason GPs surgeries are running out is because they didn't order enough! Which isn't their fault, because the media have hyped this up. Its not the supermarkets fault! I believe if necessary the government can draw on private supplies of the vaccine if they need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now