Talk

Advanced search

I need a lie to tell people why I am having a laparoscopy

(9 Posts)
Florin Wed 12-Jan-11 15:15:34

Hello
Next week I am having a laparoscopy as been ttc for a year and been diagnosed with pcos. I am having ovarian drilling, checking for endo and treating it if necessary, tubes flushed with dye etc. My parents know and are now putting pressure on me to tell my siblings which I really don't want to do as I don't want any more pressure ttc than I already have. Decided on a compromise that I tell them I am having an operation but not that it's for ttc. Sibling is not in medical field but quite interested in medical stuff and knows a bit about it so will need to give a few details about what I am having done. Thought I could just say I am having a laparoscopy but need reason for it-any ideas?

Milngavie Wed 12-Jan-11 15:18:24

Investigating heavy bleeding?

Checking for polyps?

Possible cyst?

Probably not very helpful but I try smile.

Florin Wed 12-Jan-11 15:20:04

Oh cyst I like that one, is symptoms of a cyst just pain?

Alouiseg Wed 12-Jan-11 15:20:34

Tell your parents to mind their own! Bloody cheek of them, what good will it do by telling your sibling every last detail.

MummyAbroad Wed 12-Jan-11 15:24:04

Having fibroids removed. These can cause very painful periods, and are removed via lap. Google fibroids and you will get loads of info

Hope it all goes smoothly, good luck with TTC smile

onepieceoflollipop Wed 12-Jan-11 15:25:18

I would be inclined to say firmly to my parents that it is my decision not to tell my siblings. If siblings ask say it is "personal" and you would rather not discuss it.

If your parents betray your confidence, then in your position I would be very disappointed and tell them that it may result in me feeling unable to confide in them in the future.

Do not be manipulated into telling people your private business, regardless of if they are relatives.

pils tell us all kinds of stuff (private) about bil and sil and I hate it. As a result dh tells them nothing; in fact only ever has meaningless chit chat with them now.

muffins Wed 12-Jan-11 15:26:16

I'd say cyst is a good option. Usually detected on ultrasound.
Pain, possible pain on intercourse as well.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 12-Jan-11 15:26:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTittleMouse Wed 12-Jan-11 15:26:35

Why comprimise with your parents? You are TTC, not them!

Lies like this are a PITA as you will be asked about the op before, questioned about the outcome after, and if you show any TTC behaviour your sibling might put two and two together anyway.

We kept things completely to ourselves for a while, and then (on my request) told a very small number of family members. To be honest, in retrospect DH was right, and we shouldn't have told anyone. It does put extra pressure, doesn't help if your the kind of person who likes privacy (which you obviously are) and you can't ever untell.

Your parents are probably worried about you, and it will ease their burden to have your siblings to unload on. That is none of your concern, and you need to do what is right for you right now. Go with your first instincts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now