Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Anyone else trying to conceive this month?

(8 Posts)
OddBodd Sun 09-Jan-11 15:53:46

Hi me and DH are ttc DC2. My last period was on 5th December which means nothing really as my periods are sometimes 28 days apart and other times as much as 40 days apart. Because of this I find it quite hard to predict when I am actually going to be fertile as obviously I never know how long my cycle will last this month hmm. Doesn't help when we are desperate to conceive!

We got lucky first time with DS after just one month of trying. He's 3 and half now and would love to conceive now ideally before the age gap between ds and DC2 gets any bigger.

So anyone else out there trying this month?

ShowOfHands Sun 09-Jan-11 15:59:28

Do you know why your cycles vary so much? It's probably worth asking your GP to check you're ovulating.

But I have a 3 and a half year old too and didn't use contraception this month so I suppose that counts as ttc. grin

hippieshake Sun 09-Jan-11 16:08:13

We're trying. My periods have been all over the place since I came off the pill in September though, so I'm not sure when I ovulate. This will be our first... feel completely clueless!!

OddBodd Sun 09-Jan-11 16:21:35

I have no idea why my periods vary so much. To be honest when we had ds I was as regular as closkwork, every 29 days. Since ds they have never really gone back to normal. Do you think it could be something to worry about? I suppose I just thought I was irregular and never really questioned why!

Good luck Showofhands! Do you just have the one child? We are really hoping to get pregnant soon. There is already a chance I could be pregnant now though and just not know it yet with my periods being so irregular but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Hippieshake, how many days do your periods fluctuate by? Have you tried to plot how many days are between them and working out your most fertile days? I felt clueless first time round too so we were very lucky, I had no idea about fertile days or when we should be trying!

hippieshake Sun 09-Jan-11 16:29:34

Well they do tend to have 21 days between them, only one had 17 between. It's my actually peridos that have been odd. In november I had a 19 day period, then 7 days in December, I'm on my 9th day of period this month.

I'm not sure if it's my body adjusting, or if it's something I should go to the doctor about.

OddBodd Sun 09-Jan-11 16:33:07

19 day period??! Dear that will make it hard to find out when you should be ovulating.

I came off the pill in 2005 ready to concieve ds is 2006 and my periods were just as regular as before I had been on the pill and still only lasted 4-5 days however now they are all over the place.

I would maybe ask the doctor about it. It probably is just your body adjusting but you could maybe ask for advice re conception.

I think if I don't get pregnant in next 2-3 months I will be asking my doctor too. I seem to be getting more and more irregular as time goes on and I'm only 28 so I am hoping it's nothing too serious that will affect fertility.

ShowOfHands Sun 09-Jan-11 20:12:14

If your periods are really irregular (more than a couple of days variation), there's a good chance your are not ovulating often if at all.

It's not 'worrying' per se, particularly considering you already have a child and there are lots of things they can do if they find out you're not ovulating. It's hormonal in most cases, the reason for the irregularity and in a lot of cases, quick to correct.

Of course you might have ovulated and already been pregnant. Doesn't necessarily mean you won't get pg this month.

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler is very good if anybody's interested in finding out more.

I am lucky to have a v regular 27 day cycle (ovulate on day 11), less lucky in that I'm not entirely sure my heart's in ttc atm, if ever again. I probably want a child without the whole pregnancy/birth bit. I do have just the one dd. And v lovely she is too.

arabella36 Sun 09-Jan-11 20:38:29

Hi there, you should come and join the October bussmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: