Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

HSG

(5 Posts)
KnackeredCow Thu 06-Jan-11 12:39:09

On Wednesday I was referred for an HSG by fertility.

The hospital that I am at only does them on Mondays or Fridays.

I am hoping that I will get a cancellation slot on Friday afternoon, which is Day 10 of my cycle. In the unlikely event this occurs, DH will be able to get the afternoon off work to take me so all is well.

If I am unsuccessful, then I need to wait till next month. By this point DH will have changed jobs and won't be able to get time off to take me.

Reading the booklet that the hospital has given me it advises "taking someone with you in case of any discomfort following the procedure and to drive you home"

I don't know anybody who would be available and whom I would feel comfortable about asking to go with me.

So, has anybody been on their own and how uncomfortable was it?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 06-Jan-11 13:24:24

I went on my own to have a HSG done and it was not too bad overall (the fear of it was worse than the reality). I got a taxi home afterwards.

I was given a couple of painkillers beforehand and a gown to wear. Do take some sanitary protection to wear, that dye although they don't use much (about a teaspoonful) does come out afterwards.

It is a useful test to have done as it can give information not easily accessible by other methods. Deformities INSIDE the tube can only be seen on x-ray.

The procedure itself should not be painful provided the dye is injected both slowly and carefully. You should receive the result of the HSG at the time; they should be able to tell you whether the tubes are patent (open).

HTH

KnackeredCow Thu 06-Jan-11 13:35:23

That's really helpful. Thanks Attila

You are right, it is the fear that is bothering me. I nearly fainted after a smear test once blush!

I had a perforated appendix as a child, the result of which was peritonitis and a nasty pelvic abscess. I suppose I am nervous because they have warned me that there is a risk that subsequent scar tissue may mean my tubes are not patent. The nurse did warn that this can cause cause a bit of discomfort when the HSG is done, and I suppose that's why I'm feeling so fearful. I am, however, hoping that my tubes are fine and that I am worrying unnecessarily. FX

Thanks for the tip about the sanitary towel. That is very useful to know.

I think I'll get the bus there and a cab home, as you suggested.

Greeneyesbigbottom Thu 06-Jan-11 14:46:37

Hi, I went alone and found it ok, just like a longer smear.

It was not at all painful, although I did take some paracetamol just beforehand.

You can see the screen and the dye going through and the doctors pointed and showed me what was happening.

Good tip re the sanitary towel!

I hope you manage to get your appointment and everything goes well for you.x

KnackeredCow Thu 06-Jan-11 15:03:55

Glad to hear it's just like a longer smear. They're simply uncomfortable as opposed to painful.

It must be a bit strange to see your own uterus...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: