Talk

Advanced search

Just had first IUI which failed...what next?

(6 Posts)
dottyme Wed 05-Jan-11 12:16:14

Hello all

I'm using this for a bit of a moan and to see if anyone else is feeling the same.

My story so far: TTC for 18 months, MC 1 year ago. First IUI December 2010 which failed. Now I don't know what to do next. In all honesty I can't face another IUI just yet, although it wasn't too involved it was just stressful and felt like added pressure. With the success rates so low for IUI I'm wondering whether to try again or go straight for IVF or just keep trying naturally. My husband and I have both had all the necessary tests and all is well, so it feels like an endless and stressful waiting game.

Any success stories of conceiving naturally after a while of trying?

Thanks
x

DachshundsWantPuppies Wed 05-Jan-11 12:51:44

Sorry, don't have a success story for you but I just wanted you to know I know how you feel! TTC 7 years, natural pg which ended in mc in August. Then had IUI (unsuccessful), decided we couldn't handle the low impact route any more and had IVF. Unfortunately that was also unsuccessful but we are now doing another round - FX this one works!

I also have some friends who had baby number 1 with IVF, having tried 3 rounds of unsuccessful IUI, and then had number two naturally the first cycle they tried!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

dottyme Wed 05-Jan-11 13:54:14

It's good to know there are others out there. I'm sorry you have had such a hard time. How did you find the IVF cycle compared to IUI? Is it much harder? I really hope your next round works and will keep fingers crossed for you.

It's such a hard path but it'll be worth it when we get there!

Good luck x

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 05-Jan-11 14:15:35

dottyme,

IUI is unlikely to work in the first month and it may be that several attempts are needed. Did they actually tell you all this prior to starting IUI?. May I ask why IUI was suggested to you in the first instance?.

Re your comment:-
"My husband and I have both had all the necessary tests and all is well, so it feels like an endless and stressful waiting game".

Would ask what tests have actually been done on both of you to date?. Do you have up to date test results?. Any test result over 6 months should be discounted. Some tests can get missed out and those can provide an answer as to why conception is not happening currently. You need to ensure that you have both been adequately investigated. Will put up a list of tests that get missed out; if any of these have not been done on yourselves then I would be asking the clinic concerned some tough questions.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 05-Jan-11 14:18:56

The most common tests that tend to be omitted are:-

Adequate x-rays of the uterus which may show abnormalities not otherwise seen at laparoscopy.

Hysteroscopy - telescope inspection of the inside of the uterus which may occasionally show abnormalities not seen otherwise

Repeated sperm counts over several weeks and months to make sure there is no subtle abnormality

Testing the sperm in special media such as swim up tests and velocity testing. However, when they are done, they often uncover a hidden cause for the suppposed unexplained problem

Thorough hormone tests to detect abnormalities of male hormone or early falls in progesterone

Scanning of the ovaries to see if follicles really are developing and there are no sign of polycystic ovaries.

dottyme Wed 05-Jan-11 16:43:30

Attila thank you for all the info. We have had a lot of tests (and within last few months), I've had repeat blood tests (all the hormones) an HSG, scans etc etc. I haven't had an x-ray of the uterus (other than the HSG). The HSG was fine so I didn't want to to the hysteroscopy. The sperm test sounds interesting, I will ask about that. IUI was suggested to us as the consultant we saw felt that it was worth a try, we chose to do it as it is cheaper and less involved compared to IVF. I know it doesn't necessarily work first time and has low success rates which is why I am wondering whether to try it again. I keep wondering if I should give it more time to hopefully happen naturally (fingers crossed)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now