Talk

Advanced search

Is there a way to ovulate earlier?

(11 Posts)
Tansy70 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:50:52

Strange question but with a LP of 10/11 days, I can't help but feel if I just ovulated around day 14 as opposed to 17 (ucl 26/27days), then if an egg did fertilise, then there is more chance of implantation with a 13/14 day LP. I have been taking vitamin B6 but does anyone know whether you can do or take anything to ovulate earlier...??

systemsaddict Tue 04-Jan-11 11:55:02

Don't know whether you are yet going down the treatment route but I had this issue and ended up having scans of ovaries from day 10 and HcG injections to induce ovulation as soon as the follicle was ripe enough, taking my luteal phase from 7-10 days to 14 days (and resulting in ds). Don't know if there's anything else you can do though!

ShowOfHands Tue 04-Jan-11 11:57:27

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a luteal phase of 10/11 days. It's normal. I'd say there's little point to fiddling with what might be a perfectly normal cycle. There's even a good debate about the relevance of a LPD anyway, not that 10/11 days is anywhere near abnormal.

Are you having problems ttc?

Tansy70 Tue 04-Jan-11 12:37:49

Hey thanks systemaddict. How long of ttc did you wait until you went down that route? We have been trying for 9 mths. I have read that if you chart etc and are timing everything correctly then you should be investigated if you have been trying for 4-6mths. All i know is that apparently a 10/11 LP can be a little on the short side which in a way makes sense if it takes 6-8 days for a fertilised egg to get down to the womb and then 4-5 days to implant but perhaps I am wrong. There is so much conflicting advice out there and I’m just confused about how long to wait and whether the LP is a factor.

GetDownYouWillFall Tue 04-Jan-11 12:52:05

I'd read that the normal range for LP is 12-16 days so I think your 10 /11 days is a little on the short side. Implantation CAN happen from as early as 6 days post ovulation, but sometimes can be later, so it is possible to still get pregnant with a shortened LP but I think your chances are lower.

BTW your LP tends to remain fixed, so by ovulating earlier it won't extend your LP it will just make your overall cycle shorter.

Vitamin B6 is supposed to help, but I see you are already taking it. Also low progesterone levels can sometimes result in a shorter LP. Maybe best to discuss with your dr.

MummyAbroad Tue 04-Jan-11 13:01:35

How much B6 are you taking? Could you up the dose? Also, try and take two doses a day rather than one(bite the pill in half) and make sure you take it at the same time as a good multivitamin as B vitamins need other B vitamins in order to be absorbed properly.

systemsaddict Tue 04-Jan-11 13:03:17

Hi again, we were ttc for 2 years but my LP was shorter than yours, it was normally around the 7 day mark. We spoke to GP after about a year but she didn't think the LP was a factor (but then she didn't believe charting could indicate when ovulation happened either hmm). Then had to wait for the GP-based blood and semen tests (including losing one set of results) so another few months before we were referred on.

The hospital dr. we saw said we would follow the protocol of testing tubes were open, then Clomid and IUI, but he had just got a new internal ultrasound scanning machine and I think he wanted an excuse to try it out! so said we could have 3 cycles of this follicle scanning / hcg injections / timed intercourse while we were waiting for the tubes test and I fell pregnant 2nd cycle.

Dr.s were always ambivalent as to whether LP was a factor though or whether it was just 'unexplained'.

It's worth talking to a GP to check what their protocols are but you might have to wait till you've been ttc for a year before they will investigate.

Tansy70 Tue 04-Jan-11 13:49:46

Thanks so much for all your responses. I am currently taking 50mg of B6, I didn’t want to overdo it as again conflicting advice but I had read that it’s not that good for you. Mummyabroad , do you know what a good multivitamin is to take with it? I have been taking Pregnacare Conception ones now for about a year.
Thanks system addict for your response – that sounds like you were in with a bit of luck with the follicle scanning , I’m glad it worked out well in the end. Where was the hospital out of interest?

MummyAbroad Tue 04-Jan-11 14:13:50

Hi Tansy,

I am sure Pregnacare is a good multivit (just guessing as I am not in the UK so dont really know the brand) If it is designed for conception is must be good right? Just check the label to see that is has other B vitamins included in it.

I've read about other women taking 100mg doses - why not check with your doctor or a qualified herbalist if increasing your dose is OK?

Tansy70 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:50:20

Thanks MummyAbroad - that's probably a very good idea. Thanks for all your advice.

ShowOfHands Tue 04-Jan-11 15:03:56

Between 10 and 16 days is normal.

And it's also normal for it to take 1-2yrs to get pregnant. Your chances of conception if you have sex at exactly the right time, both couples in 20s and fit and healthy and of normal fertility, is around 25%. It's normal for it to take a while.

Of course if you're worried then see your GP but there's nothing wrong with a 10/11 day luteal phase in absence of any other indicators.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now