Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Please help with some questions about Clomid?

(14 Posts)
rocketleaf Mon 03-Jan-11 18:04:02

I am asking this on behalf of a friend, she is on her third round of Clomid. We were chatting the other night and she said that before she started taking it she would always get sore boobs and other symptoms before her period. Since taking the Clomid these symptoms have stopped.

She said this has made her think that the Clomid is not working. (I guess she associated the symptoms with a normal cycle) I tried to reassure her and say not necessarily, it's just that her hormonal cycle would be totally different now and that could affect her symptoms. In fact in TCM a lack of symptoms indicated a 'better' cycle.

I feel a bit bad now as I don't really have any facts to base this on when it comes to Clomid, and could well be talking out my arse, I was just wanting to be reassuring. Does anyone else have any personal experience with this or know a bit more about the subject I could pass on to her?

I am also a bit hmm as she has no follow up appointment and I was under the impression that she would be scanned after 3 months to make sure its all happening as it should but apparently she has not been offered this. They have just been left to get on with it until they are called back in for ICSI. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 03-Jan-11 18:20:34

Your friend should not be on clomid without being properly monitored. She ought to have a follow up appt and to be also seen on a regular basis (i.e monthly). No monitoring is a no-no as it is quite powerful stuff, without monitoring of any sort there is no way of determining whether it is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Its main and only job is to make the ovaries work harder.

It should only be given to women who present with ovulation problems; if she was to be ovulating normally it can have a reverse but temporary effect.

Also its a hell of a leap between clomid and ICSI; why has ICSI been mentioned to her?.

I think your friend needs to ask this clinic some tough questions with regards to her treatment. She needs to be persistant in order to get answers.

rocketleaf Mon 03-Jan-11 18:39:48

Thanks for your reply, Attila. Not only does she have ovulation problems but her husband also has a low sperm count, thats why they have been told ICSI is the next port of call. Also she is over 35 so I think that is a factor (why they are skipping IUI for example) She has been for a group introduction session at the clinic and is now on the waiting list for IVF/ICSI treatment which should happen quite soon.

Re: the monitoring: that is exactly what I thought. I said she should get back to them but she said she didn't want to stress out about it and wanted to 'go with the flow'. :S I think I will try and talk to her about it again as I don't think she should just be taking it with no monitoring.

I just need to be careful as I don't want her to think I am over stepping the mark, we are very close but this is such an emotive subject. I don't want to be too pushy/bossy.

highheelsandequations Mon 03-Jan-11 20:35:33

I second atilla about the monitoring, she should be asking for her blood progesterone to be checked every cycle as it's possible the dosage she's on might not be right for her. I was only on 25mg of clomid and it made me ovulate but others have needed 100mg, or more. I found my PMS symptoms did change when taking the clomid, I can't remember my boobs being as achy for a few days before my period and I don't think I had as many 'signs' that I was due on. Sorry I can't be of more help but I definitely think your friend should be asking more questions, you're only allowed a limited number of cycles on clomid and it would be a shame for her to 'waste' them on an ineffectual dosage. Don't know what to suggest about how to broach the subject though. You could tell her you are worried about her as clomid can cause problems by overstimulating the ovaries, one of the reasons why it needs to be monitored.

rocketleaf Tue 04-Jan-11 10:04:48

Thanks highheels, thats a good idea about the dosage. It is slightly more tricky in that I am pregnant as well. Not that its been a totally easy ride to get here and she is wonderful about it and very excited for us. I just want this for her so badly too and that is one of my worries. On the one hand I think her attitude is great, that she doesnt want to get all stressed about it but I would hate for her to waste the cycles she's been given if they aren't working properly. Thanks for the advice, I will try and talk to her again next time I see her.

highheelsandequations Tue 04-Jan-11 12:02:36

Hope everything goes well for your friend and congratulations to you on your pregnancy. It's so difficult balancing trying not to obsess and stress out when ttc with trying to make sure you're doing everything possible to try and get that baby.

rocketleaf Tue 04-Jan-11 19:40:04

Thank you! yes it is tricky, was in the same position last year, we both started down the AC route at pretty much the same time and we had just been referred straight to IVF when we were very lucky and got pregnant naturally. I have to admit I got totally obsessed for a while so I am really impressed at her attitude in someways.

Hope things work out for you too.

rocketleaf Tue 04-Jan-11 19:51:48

ah have just realised from scanning that Clomid thread that you are pregnant too highheels, many congratulations!

highheelsandequations Wed 05-Jan-11 16:56:22

Thanks, we were waiting for my period to arrive (for nearly 70 days!) so I could have a HSG after 3 cycles of clomid and no pregnancy when I got the BFP, think I'm still in shock 9 1/2 weeks later!

rocketleaf Thu 06-Jan-11 08:40:40

Ah how wonderful! Funny, seems not unusual for people to get pregnant just after coming OFF Clomid, I know of at least 2 others on here and one IRL. I know it doesn't feel quite real, especially after waiting so long. Took me ages to get my head round it, even after 1st scan. Hope all goes well for yours!

BarbiesBeaver Thu 06-Jan-11 09:18:26

Hello Roquette! Yep your friend should have had monitoring while on Clomid - to check the doseage is working to produce enough follicles and not too many. Another friend on a different fertility forum recently found out she is expecting quads on Clomid, so it is not stuff to be taken lightly.

Clomid can also thin the uterus lining - I found this and had to take oestrogen supplements while taking it. A mid cycle scan would confirm this. Another point is that monitoring would pintpoint exactly when she is about to ovulate, which is espcially important if her husband has issues as day after day of shagging may not be the best approach.

Clomid did give me different PMS (as well as being a raging hormonal mess), as with taking any sort of hormone it is bound to affect your normal symptoms. You are a kind friend to be thinking of her. I would advise about talking to her tactfully about all this, but I know I don't need to do that where you are concerned!

rocketleaf Thu 06-Jan-11 10:15:00

Thanks very much babs Lovely to see you popping up. I know I need to approach it carefully. I don't want her to feel I am being over bearing although we have both been in each others confidence through this whole thing so hoping it will be ok, we are hanging out tomorrow so I'll raise it then.

I hope you are doing ok?

BarbiesBeaver Thu 06-Jan-11 15:42:54

Yep good thanks...have plunged back headlong into the BESH ski hut whether they like it or not! I know what you're up to as I've been manically stalking reading along to see how everyone is.

rocketleaf Thu 06-Jan-11 15:44:35

Yes I saw that little sneak back in (i just can't leave the Palais wink) Wishing you so much luck with it all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: