Talk

Advanced search

Ridiculously irregular periods- How will I ever be able to work out when i'm most fertile??!!

(21 Posts)
NatznNutmeg Sun 02-Jan-11 21:35:53

Hi All,

first time on here so hope this is the right place to post this!
I have ridiculously irregular periods (which is why I was on the pill for 10 years and as a treatment for Endometriosis)I came off the pill in September and did not have a period until the 22nd of October. I haven't had a period since then but have only been TTC for about 2 weeks (so sure I'm not Pregnant!)-
my question is really if anyone else has this out there- how can I possibly calculate my most fertile time when I have no idea how long my cycle is and when my next period will be?!
And also how will I know when to take a test if i'm not having a period for months and months on end?!!!??

All advice gratefully received!!!!

sobloodystupid Sun 02-Jan-11 21:40:50

I don't have endometriosis, but have always had very irregular periods. The only way I suspected that I was fertile was if I noticed my discharge as being clear and stretchy and quite plentiful blush. With regard to testing, I looked at the longest possible time I have gone between periods (about 8 weeks) and tested if it was longer than that. Sometimes if I thought my breasts were tender or I couldn't stand the smell of lager, that was a clue. I have 3 adorable dc so irregular periods don't necessarily mean probs conceiving just probs working out when you are due. Good luck smile

Ilovekittyelise Sun 02-Jan-11 22:28:40

clearblue fertility monitor is definitely the way forward. i was irregular following a pregnancy that ended early; got pregnant both months i used the CBFM: first month was chemical pg/early MC, this month iv my fingers crossed that its a sticker.

carlossss Sun 02-Jan-11 23:08:22

Message withdrawn

NatznNutmeg Sun 02-Jan-11 23:15:25

Thank you all for your advice, I really wanted to join this site so that I could find people (and chat!) that either have the same experience or know someone who does so thank you for sharing!!

I had looked at those fertility monitors but was put off a bit by the price tag- nice to hear that they are actually worth it! And will defo be looking on Ebay!!!

Thanks again

carlossss Sun 02-Jan-11 23:28:23

Message withdrawn

TheUnmentioned Sun 02-Jan-11 23:38:31

Just to say good luck with ttc. I haven't read all the replies as just on way to bed but I had irregular periods since I was a teenager and when ttc we just tried to have regular sex tbh - every other day or around 3 times a week. Conceived ds and dd both within around 6m I think. You can do charting / fertility monitors etc but I didn't want to get obsessive and I knew I, personally, would if I went down that route. The one way I can usually tell when I'm ovulating is by monitoring cervical mucus which is gross and tmi but hey you're ttc now - its one long road of grossness!!!

TheUnmentioned Sun 02-Jan-11 23:38:32

Just to say good luck with ttc. I haven't read all the replies as just on way to bed but I had irregular periods since I was a teenager and when ttc we just tried to have regular sex tbh - every other day or around 3 times a week. Conceived ds and dd both within around 6m I think. You can do charting / fertility monitors etc but I didn't want to get obsessive and I knew I, personally, would if I went down that route. The one way I can usually tell when I'm ovulating is by monitoring cervical mucus which is gross and tmi but hey you're ttc now - its one long road of grossness!!!

Tobermory Sun 02-Jan-11 23:47:59

My periods are v irregular - the cycle before falling pregnant with DD1 was 130 days long! My doc told me to wait for 12 months befor anything could be done - as it transpired all was ok. I didn't use any kind of fertility monitor, but 'got to know' my body and had lots of sex - every other day if it was at all possible - a bit in an attempt to conceive.
Hope things work out for you

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 03-Jan-11 11:08:46

Natz

Irregular periods are more often than not caused by hormonal imbalances; in this respect a condition called polycystic ovaries may be the cause. Another possible one is thyroid problems. It is certainly in your interests to establish exactly why your periods are so irregular particularly as this is a long standing problem.

I would not bother using fertility monitors if your periods are so irregular as this would be both a waste of time and effort. You would be far better off getting blood tests done via the GP and ask for a referral to a gynae.

When and how were you diagnosed with endometriosis?.

carlossss Mon 03-Jan-11 11:41:52

Message withdrawn

hairyfairylights Mon 03-Jan-11 12:01:06

I deffo recommend the clearblue monitor and also start noticing changes In mucus etc . Good luck!!

Ilovekittyelise Mon 03-Jan-11 12:04:34

natz the CBFM advertising itself at about 100 quid in boots, its 50 on amazon and throws in a box of sticks too!

carlossss Mon 03-Jan-11 12:32:27

Message withdrawn

carlossss Mon 03-Jan-11 12:33:04

Message withdrawn

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Mon 03-Jan-11 12:43:52

Hi Natz,

I also suffer from irregular periods but have just been diagnosed with PCOS. My most recent cycle was 165 days.

I echo what attila said regarding the fertility monitor possibly not being a great idea until you rule out any hormonal imbalances or thyroid issues.

If you go to your GP and explain you are TTC but with irregular periods, ask for the basic hormone tests such as FSH, LH, full blood count, thyroid, estradiol, prolactin. There are aslo plenty of things you can do to boost your fertilty such as diet, exercise, vitamins and minerals and books on fertility to help you understand the processes.

If you do decide to use OPKs or BBT look on amzon for cheaper but just as reliable tests. You can sign up for fertility friend and chart your temps there.

You GP won't usually refer you for any fertility help until you have been TTC for a year, or 6 months if you have an underlying issue.

Hope you have success soon

bloomingnora Mon 03-Jan-11 13:15:25

There's some great information on Marilyn Glenville's website re fertility.

Even though my periods were very regular - 32 days, EWCM on day 14, this did not help me to conceive! It took about a year each time and my children were conceived on day 15, day 6 and day 21 as far as I can work out! Day 6 was 100% definite as it was the only possible day that month.

Good luck.

NatznNutmeg Mon 03-Jan-11 19:45:34

Thank you all so much for your replies-

I was diagnosed with endometriosis at approx 21 ish having had many ultra sounds and lots of prodding and poking since the age of 16 (yes it took them THAT long to diagnose!!!). I had an op when I was about 23 to help clear it as best they could. (I am 29 now)
Have been on the pill ever since as a "treatment" for the condition.
The docs know about the endometriosis and know I am now TTC. they have just said to give it 6 months of trying naturally and if nothing happens to go back and see them... I guess there isn't much more they can do at this stage?

Thank you all again

xx

worththewait Wed 05-Jan-11 14:39:40

hiya to natznutmeg
i didnt think that endemetriosis could be diagnosed by scans only
did you have a lapcoscopy too?
as that how they diagnose it
i suggest trying to get a cbfm from amazon or ebays
they are really good try it

NatznNutmeg Wed 05-Jan-11 22:06:30

Hi worththewait,
yup had 2 endoscopy (I think thats right- the one where they put the camera in through your belly button) before diagnosis and then one about 4 years ago to "check on progress"- where I was told they lasered/burnt off the blood that had settled on my organs etc etc (sorry if TMI!!!!!!!)

I definitely think i'll get a CBFM- I guess it can't hurt to have one especially if I can get one cheapish on Ebay!!!

xx

worththewait Wed 05-Jan-11 22:58:50

hi no its called lapcoscopy that goes through ya belly button ive had one ten yr or more ago
endoscopy is a bum one i think ?
lapcoscopy is where they go through the belly button and above the bkini line with tubes with camres on end of them that how i rember it and putting lots of gas in me to blow me tummy up
all irember was coming round going home and being sore
and lots of tharting to let gas out
and a yelloew makrk where they cut youive got scarring still too lol
yer ebay have cheap ones and amazon hun x
endoscopy is where they put it up ya other end ya bum
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now