Talk

Advanced search

Advice TTC after MC

(4 Posts)
Dummyhunter Thu 30-Dec-10 16:53:01

Really just after some advice on TTC after a MC (7/8 wks along mid Dec when MC). How long should we wait until trying again? Is there a time frame the professionals suggest? We really want another and a small age if possible.

Starting to wonder if its me as l had a MC 10 yrs ago as well. But we have a DC who is under a year old - a relatively problematic pregnancy (cyst on ovary at 8 wks, bleeding at 22 wks and baby on nerve retricting movement at 34wks).

They asked at EPU if we had any questions when they scanned me and found that I was no longer pregnant but at the time l was too upset to think of any, is it possible to arrange to see someone and ask all the questions that l now think off - has anyone had any experience of this?

Thank you for your help in advance

spilttheteaagain Thu 30-Dec-10 17:26:59

So sorry to hear about your recent loss.

As far as I know they recommend waiting until your first period has arrived before trying again, partly because it makes dating the next pregnancy easier and also my MW said there is a very slightly higher risk of MC if you conceive before the first period - not sure why though.

There's certianly no need to wait longer if you're emotionally ready (and assuming you weren't told of any specific reasons to wait, i.e. an infection/illness).

Good luck.

gummymum Thu 30-Dec-10 19:08:56

So sorry to here your news. There is evidence that conception within 18 months of a previous pregnancy (with any outcome) results in an increase in complications including miscarriage. This increase is only small and realistically most people don't wait anywhere near this long. The 'professional' advice is traditionally to wait for two to three periods but this is not based on any strong evidence.

Good luck!

Dummyhunter Sat 01-Jan-11 18:02:16

Thank you for your replies - dh and l have discussed and decided to wait until easter.

Does anyone know if I can see someone at the EPU to discuss our questions on our recent and past mc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now