Talk

Advanced search

So many conflicting theories...I don't know where to start.

(5 Posts)
nicole333 Tue 21-Dec-10 14:54:25

Hey all!

I'm all geared up to have a go at this ttc malarky, but am coming across a lot of conflicting ideas. Well, two so far, but that's two too many already!

The first one being what is considered to be CD1? My husbands GP said it was the very first spotting, but a fertility website says it's the first day of proper flow. This can mean up to two days difference for me!

Also, I started on the folic acid last night. Again, the same GP said you could start taking it a day before ttc, yet reading the packaging on bottle it says you should start it three months before!

Arrghhh!!

GetDownYouWillFall Tue 21-Dec-10 15:10:37

Hi nicole CD1 is the first day of full red flow, not spotting.

Re. the folic acid, it's best to start it 3 months before conceiving to get it into your system, and also probably because a lot of people conceive before they realise, that way it is already benefitting the fetus. And being cyncial, the manufactueres want you to buy more of their product!

However, it benefits the fetus whatever stage you start taking it in the first trimester.

Hope this helps, and good luck! smile

nannyl Tue 21-Dec-10 15:29:07

another vote for 1st day of full flow.

when i went for my pre-TTC Drs appt the only thing she was bothered / made a point about was me taking folic acid now (now being 2 months before i was going to be trying)

Given that folic acid is so cheap (Im sure you can get 90 tabs for about £1) IMO its worth taking it as soon as you know you might be TTC.
Personally i took it for 4&half months before TTC (I took it as soon as i switched from hormanal to barrier contraception 'just in case' i got pg by mistake before we were properly trying)

nicole333 Tue 21-Dec-10 20:39:03

Thankyou both, can you tell me where your theories are coming from?
The website that says it's full flow is fertility friend, or something like that. I've been trying to find it on the 'Taking charge of your fertility' website, but can't. I've yet to get hold of the book.

DilysPrice Tue 21-Dec-10 20:48:54

It doesn't matter how you count it as long as you're consistent, and remember what you chose, if you're using kits or other method to determine actual ovulation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now