Talk

Advanced search

Should I contact the MW?

(6 Posts)
evitas Fri 03-Dec-10 15:16:37

I had a baby 10 months ago and I was thinking about start TTC some point next year.

I didn't have the easiest pregnancy, I had to stay one week in hospital when I was 26 weeks (Drs couldn't tell what was wrong) and I had a (healthy) premature baby at 35+5 weeks and no one never mentioned a possible cause for that.

Of course I'm slightly worried about getting pregnant again, go through the same and have another premature baby. I was wondering if I should contact my previous MW and ask for an appointment. Maybe we could go through my notes, see what happened... Maybe it's not worthy and she will tell me there's nothing she can do, but I guess I would like to feel more supported this time.

Has anyone else been in this position before?

x

Havingkittens Fri 03-Dec-10 18:23:13

I haven't been in your position before but I do have a very understanding midwife who, through the course of 5 unsuccessful pregnancies has always told me that if I had any questions or needed any advice when I was next TTC or pregnant that I shouldn't hesitate to get in touch. So, on that basis I would say there's no harm in trying. She may not be able to shed any light on the situation but maybe she will be able to reassure you if what happened in your last pregnancy holds no risk to any future pregnancy.

Best of luck.

evitas Fri 03-Dec-10 20:14:59

Havingkittens thanks you.
Sorry to hear that you've also been through difficult times.
Best of luck to you too
x

Havingkittens Sat 04-Dec-10 10:55:32

Thank you. You too. x

broodycoilsout Sat 04-Dec-10 12:59:37

hi
you're not going 2 lose anything by getting in touch with midwife, and may b suprised by how helpful she/he is-and hopefuly gain comfort and reassurance from it.
also, tho everyone is different and this is a completely different situation to yours, someone i used to work with went in2 labour early about 4 years ago(i cant remember how many weeks she was), i think about a week b4 they try 2 save babies who r premature (by that i mean scbu, i think, 2bh im not 2 clued up on it), she gave birth to a little boy who passed away, i believe within minutes of being born. we still keep in touch, she now has a little girl who's about 2yrs old and perfectly healthy.
my husbands cousins 1st was premature, was let home from hospital after 2-3 weeks (now perfectly healthy 3yr old). she recently gave birth 2 another girl-this time round dd was not premature and didnt require any hospital stay.

hopefuly 2nd time around you're experience will be much better 2

even if you cant get hold of prevoius midwife, surely new 1 would b able 2 access your notes anyway? and would u b under the care of a consultant 2? he/she should also b able 2 c ur notes

best of luck

evitas Sun 05-Dec-10 17:27:53

Thanks broody. I think I'll try to contact my previous MW and see if we can get the notes from the hospital - I think we can ask for our records.

BW
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now