Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

how long does bleeding last after mirena removal / hysteroscopy / laparoscopy?

(16 Posts)
broodycoilsout Tue 30-Nov-10 19:20:30

hi,

TMI alert
we want 2 start ttc

last week i had mirena coil removed from my right fallopia tube via laparoscopy, after the dr had checked it wasnt inside my womb.

i asked the nurse at the hospital how long the bleeding would last-she didnt have a clue and said 2 ask the dr, but i was discharged before seeing him.

had 2 days of light bleeding/spotting, 1 of a strange discharge, 1 day of nothing then more bleeding for the last 2 days. my period would be due around now, but tis is much lighter than period, and also quickly goes brown.

how long does this usually last for?
we want to start ttc!!!!!

please share your experiences so i dont feel alone or quite so lost

a big thankyou in advance!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Nov-10 20:42:11

Hmm well I have had a hysteroscopy and laporoscopy and bled for three days and separately had a Mirena removed - the following bleed was 9 days.

It came in two spells. You may have another to come.

broodycoilsout Tue 30-Nov-10 21:38:20

Ooh thanku 4 that! I know every1s different,bt its nice 2 finally get sum answers! Thanku so much!

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Nov-10 21:48:27

They don't know about Mirena coil removals because very few women return with problems after having them removed. They are not being dense. It's just normal for the patient to bugger off home and never for them to see them again.

Some people find they get cramping too.

Take ibuprofen.

QuietTiger Wed 01-Dec-10 08:02:42

I had a laparotomy 3.5 weeks ago to remove a 9.5cm ovarian cyst (very impressive 7.5 inch scargrin) on Monday 8th Nov and had my merina coil removed at the same time. 10 days later I had a bit of cramping and some very light spotting, but nothing after that.

I'll know if my cycle settles down if AF arrives in 2 weeks time (which is when I expect it). The Gynae I saw told me that I could get PG straight away after coil removal, but it would probably take a few cycles to settle down and get back to normal.

broodycoilsout Wed 01-Dec-10 14:10:16

Hi whomovedmychocolate, i didnt mean any offence in saying the nurse didnt know the answer, and im sorry if i did.-thats wot dr's r 4 eh, the knowlege they have i know i could never do it! Quiet tiger that sounds massive! Must have been painful! How ru doing now! Gr8 news about possibly being able 2 fall pregnant straight away! Just gota wait 4 bleeding 2 stop 1st :-(

Karstan Wed 01-Dec-10 14:59:47

After a surgical hysteroscopy I bled for about 3 days but had a watery discharge that went on for ages. Prob about 3 weeks in total until things went back to 'normal'

whomovedmychocolate Wed 01-Dec-10 17:58:16

Ah no offence taken, just trying to explain why they don't have the answers

Hopefully you will get pregnant very quickly.

broodycoilsout Wed 01-Dec-10 19:08:23

Thanks karstan. Been just about a week so hopefuly will b over soon! How ru doing? Ru ttc? Whomovedmychoc (luv the name) ru ttc? Best of luck 2 u both if u r

buttonmoon78 Wed 01-Dec-10 20:51:55

Hi Broody. My bleed lasted about 9 days too. I then had one proper period and got pg the next cycle. Currently 5+3. So it shouldn't be too long to wait!

broodycoilsout Thu 02-Dec-10 09:54:13

oooh well done buttonmoon CONGRATULATIONS ! 9 days, hopefuly only another 2 days and should b sorted then.
can i ask if ur periods changed at all (lighter/heavier) after mirena? id b expecting myn around now, do u think the dates will get 'messed up' too?

buttonmoon78 Thu 02-Dec-10 16:07:52

My bleeding was always very difficult to predict on the Mirena - one reason why I'll never have another one!

I think they were a lot more regular and a fair bit heavier after it was out. After the first bleed it was 35 days until my next period but then I tested 28 days after that and was +ve. I think (going on cm rather than opks) that I ovd exactly 14 days before my period and before I tested.

I was actively ttc right from when I stopped bleeding - I don't place much importance on waiting a cycle to let things settle down. After all, that's what a dating scan is for, no?!

broodycoilsout Fri 03-Dec-10 10:16:20

Thats really hopeful and exciting 2 read. Getting heavier now,so think im a while off yet. I cant read the posts bak quickly from my phone, how far gone ru? How many dcs have u got?

buttonmoon78 Fri 03-Dec-10 13:40:32

Hi. About 6 weeks now - this is no 4!

broodycoilsout Sat 04-Dec-10 12:49:20

#4?!! when u had ur 1st/2/3 did u ever think that would b it?
we're going 2 b ttc #3, after being adament that we'd ds (#2) would b our last!! am saying this time (all being well) will b, esp as my dh (who's older than me) is 42, i wouldnt want 2 push it by thinking of having more after this (he has severe sleep apnea so is knackered all the time as it is, i dont think it would b fair on him or the kids, or myself 2 keep going).....but then u never know

buttonmoon78 Sun 05-Dec-10 23:13:35

Well, #3 was unplanned and we said we'd like 4 to even it out. I had really bad spd though so we decided 3 was enough.

And yet here I am! I think this will definitely be the last though. The increasing cost as they get older is frightening!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: