Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

What's wrong with an August baby?

(25 Posts)
WispaCat Mon 29-Nov-10 17:22:25

Hi everyone, I'm new and still getting used to all the acronyms and terminology here! I've seen a few times people saying they'd prefer not to have a baby born in August...why is this? Sorry if this is a really stupid question...

NorthernLurker Mon 29-Nov-10 17:24:25

If you live in England then August bbies will be the youngest in the school year. It's possible for a child who turns 4 on 31/08 to start school at the same time as a child who turns 5 on 01/09 I think.

However - if you want a baby then you want a baby - and August babies are lovely smile Though you do have to be pregnant all summer.....

WispaCat Mon 29-Nov-10 17:29:42

Ahhh, I see. Thank you!

RugbyWidow7 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:29:48

Hello - yes it's really that the child will be a year younger in terms of both physical development and mental, than some of its school peers.

This concerned me for a while, then I realised that it's much more important to me that we get pg asap, than worrying too much about this. As Northern said, <if you want a baby, you want a baby>

Hope that makes sense ...

RugbyWidow7 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:30:39

sorry x-posted

jetgirl Mon 29-Nov-10 17:31:01

I think people are mainly worried about school as they're the youngest in the year. But to put a positive spin, it saves you a year in childcare fees if you work! My August baby is lovely (not strictly a baby at 5 yo though) and doing absolutely fine at school. smile

BellaBearisWideAwake Mon 29-Nov-10 17:32:07

if you are a teacher then an august (or july) baby means that the only part of your mat leave you get full pay for is the summer holidays - when you wouldn't be working anyway. I know of one teacher who had an august baby and about five who have september ones!

WispaCat Mon 29-Nov-10 17:32:50

Yeah, it does make sense, and I suppose it could make quite a bit of difference, depending on the child. I think I'm too impatient to wait another month though! It seems like there's always something else you could put it off for...

RugbyWidow7 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:41:13

I agree and felt exactly the same a few weeks ago. I was really concerned about whether it would be in the child's interests, then realised it's my first attempt to conceive and could therefore, take a lot longer than I think. My DH wanted to get started ASAP. wink We started trying a couple of weeks ago and I jumped on the August bus! Hope to see you there too?...

RugbyWidow7 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:42:47

jetgirl it's really interesting to hear that your 5yr old didn't have any issues in school whilst being one of the youngest in the year...v uplifting about the whole thing

WispaCat Mon 29-Nov-10 17:47:25

Yeah, cross fingers it'll be an August baby after all! Come to think of it, DH was born in August and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm.

RugbyWidow7 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:48:39

Oh that's good to hear. I'm sure they must all catch-up in the end

jetgirl Mon 29-Nov-10 20:27:48

I am a teacher! My next baby was a November one grin

DD went to nursery from the age of 4months 2 days a week and I am convinced this helped with her settling so well when she started school last year. She is working with yr2 pupils for reading and writing despite being in yr1.

I can even tell you when she was conceived blush she was 2 weeks past her due date so if you're hopping on the August bus do it now! 6 days later and she would have been a September baby.

DiscoDaisy Mon 29-Nov-10 20:31:24

My 2nd child was due in the september which I thought was great as she would be one of the eldest in the year group. She had other ideas and arrived 3 weeks early making her an august baby!
She's coped absolutely fine with being one of the youngest in her year group and has had no problems whatsoever.

onadietcokebreak Mon 29-Nov-10 20:48:12

I would love an august baby. Nice weather to take them out on walks. Plus a years less childcare fees. My DS would be ready for school this September coming (hes attended nursery since 9mths) yet he has to wait. His mates that are a few weeks older are going and to TBH some of these are going to struggle- they have never in a pre school setting.

A baby is a gift at anytime so if you are TTC I would recommend you dont try and plan but just try!

Jellykat Mon 29-Nov-10 21:14:32

I was an August baby! It didn't hold me back educationally smile and it was great not having to go to school on my birthday! Tee Hee

tory79 Mon 29-Nov-10 21:16:22

I am an August baby (31st to be precise!!) and certainly I feel it had no real effect on me - I did very well at school all the way through. The worst bit was when everyone was starting to learn to drive and turning 18 etc and I was the last!!

KEAWYED Mon 29-Nov-10 21:22:38

My DS1 is an August baby and in year 3. He has just got star of the week for the 2nd time since September term. I am chuffed to bits after all my worries.

I worried like mad but hes 'average' at school and really enjoys it

Pippaandpolly Tue 30-Nov-10 16:52:46

I'm an August baby and I'd love to have one of my own...it's a lovely time to have a birthday! (I was always fine at school too - and I quite liked being young at sixthform and university as I always felt I had a year on my side if I wanted it - even now I've been working for 6 years and at 27 I feel like it wouldn't be too bad if I wanted to change careers or take a year out...unlikely but it's a nice thought!)

tory79 Tue 30-Nov-10 19:02:17

Oh yes, I should say that I love it now that we are all getting old.....but I'm always the youngest of my school friends - especially pleasing when we hit the big 3-0!!

Glitterboots Thu 02-Dec-10 09:29:16

Thanks for posting this question as I think I may be pregnant and so will be having an August baby - going to test this weekend
My nephew is in his first year at school and an August baby and is thriving, top of his class, good circle of friends etc
My initial feeling was it'd be nice to have a newborn in summer - my DS was born mid-December and the dark mornings did nothing to help PND. So I'm looking forward to greeting the dawn lol

LadyGoneGaga Thu 02-Dec-10 10:02:42

I was a n august baby and started school at just 4. I was fine and always did well at school, settled in well etc. And I'm now pregnant with a baby due July 28th so could well be another August one!

Not paticularly looking forward to carrying in heat of summer but beggars can't be choosers!

RunDMC Thu 02-Dec-10 16:40:40

not an issue in Scotland- the cut off here is February birthdays so the youngest you can go to school is 4 1/2...

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Fri 03-Dec-10 22:16:36

August babies prob will be born in rain and cold like this year anyway...it's the mums heavily pregnant in april and may I feel sorry for!

I have August born friends, never made any difference to them!

KittyFoyle Fri 03-Dec-10 22:29:14

DS is an August baby and did seem teeny when he went to school. I was agonising about it for ages but he is now 5 and top of his Year One group academically and, his teacher says, the most mature pupil, always responsible and looking out for other kids. So all the fears about his being emotionally less prepared were unfounded. It did help, I think that in his case he shares a classroom with Year 2 (where his big sister is) and they give each other a lot of support and also has a baby sister at home so is used to looking out for little kids.

Basically, August babies, especially boys, sometimes struggle but there are lots of other factors too which help them thrive or not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: