Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC after the pill

(17 Posts)
asouthwoldmummy Mon 29-Nov-10 11:03:44

I came off the pill last week, this will be our first month of ttc #2. I have heard that it can take a few months to start ovulating again, but we're in a hurry! DS took us 2 years to conceive and I really don't want it to take that long this time!

Has anyone else just started ttc after being on the pill and wants to join me?

MrsSatsuma Mon 29-Nov-10 12:38:49

Count me in! I'm on the September bus at the moment but it depends how it goes... TTC #1 and had last pill on Sat. Fingers crossed...

asouthwoldmummy Mon 29-Nov-10 13:41:40

Hello Mrs Satsuma!

I should have started taking the pill again after my break today, so we are officially ttc from today. There are so many conception threads to join but it's nice to talk to someone/people in the same position.

Do you plan to chart or use ovulation tests? I'm planning to use ovulation tests, mainly because I want to know how long it takes before I start ovulating again. I figured there's no point stressing too much about unsuccessful months when I may not even be ovulating, at least this way I know.

ItsJustMyOpinion Mon 29-Nov-10 13:54:47

Took me 6 months ttc our dd after being on the pill for 9 years. Went back on the pill after having dd, came off again Jan of this year and just had an emc.

Our Dr told us that you can get pregnant if you miss taking 1 pill, so its anyones guess how long it will take to conceive.

Good luck anyway

MrsSatsuma Mon 29-Nov-10 14:14:53

TBH I'm a novice and hadn't even heard of ovulation tests until I discovered MN last week... My master plan was to relax and enjoy the SWI (!), making sure it happens every two days or so around ovulation time. Then I'll probably invest in ovulation tests if that doesn't work! My cycles were pretty regular before I went on the pill - although that was 8 years ago so it's kind of hard to remember!

MrsSatsuma Mon 29-Nov-10 14:15:39

...although your point about not stressing if not ovulating is a good one... hmmm maybe I'll reconsider. Then I can have Christmas wine if I'm not ovulating!

asouthwoldmummy Tue 30-Nov-10 17:33:55

MrsSatsuma - if I were you I would just enjoy the SWI, at least for maybe 6 months or so. As I said, we're in a hurry this time, I don't want to wait 2 years again!

You might be lucky enough to get pregnant straight away, my sister only took 2 months after 15 years on the pill!

dontcarehow Thu 06-Jan-11 15:58:16

Sorry for bringing back an old post, but I'm having the same problems have been off for 6 months and still no period. Going to the docs, but here's a question, how come no one tells you before you go on the pill that this can happen? or even at your 6 month/ 1 year renewal appointments. I knew nothing of it, and then obviously when no period came I was over the moon thinking I might be pregnant, then then next month came then the next and still nothing. If I'd have known I would have come off it years ago.

CaveMum Thu 06-Jan-11 17:07:31

dontcarehow I'm in exactly the same boat as you - came off the Pill 8 months ago and haven't had a period for 6 months.

I have a Drs appointment on Monday to start investigating matters. I went to see them a few months ago and they told me that it is NHS policy not to investigate missed periods for 6 months.

Gawd only knows what is going on with my insides! I'm 29, was on the pill for about 13 years, I'm not overweight/underweight, I eat healthily, drink little and have never smoked.

I agree that we should be given more warning that this can happen, but it is reassuring to hear that other people have had the same problems.

Hope your Drs appointment goes well smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 06-Jan-11 18:25:05

CaveMum

It may be that a condition called polycystic ovaries is to blame. Its actually very common; around 1 in every 5 women have PCO.
Another possible cause is problems with the thyroid gland. Both of these can be checked for via blood tests. You may also be offered an internal ultrasound scan as well to see if the ovaries are polycystic.

There is no real evidence to suggest that the pill is responsible for failure to ovulate. What it can do though is mask symptoms of any underlying hormonal problem already there. The pill has not caused this to arise but mask it.

forceswife Thu 06-Jan-11 19:00:15

Hi!

Just joined this forum after a recommendation from a friend.

I have been off the pill since the end of September 2010 (after being on it for 15 years, never tried to conceive before) and am hoping as well that it's not going to take too long to get pregnant, as I am 35 (and I know, it's not old!) but would like to have more than one child (I think...)
Thought I may have been pregnant this month, as two months ago I used an ovulation kit (Clearblue - they are good I have heard) and now I know when the "prime time" is my husband and I make sure that we get a good few sessions in that week .
But, I have come on again today, so a bit disappointed, but I know it could take some time given I have been on the pill for such a long time (is that really true?).

My cycle is only 26 days long, and it is as regular as clockwork, so at least I don't have to wait as long as some to find out if I am pregnant again; seems to come round very quickly!!

It's hard to get the balance right though - e.g. not making it too technical/trying too hard, and not bothering to try at all. I am under a fair bit of stress at work as well (which is something that I cannot avoid as we are all on tenterhooks waiting to find out at the end of January about a restructure and I could lose my job) so that doesn't help. We will be ok financially, but that's not the point - I really love my job and it's taken me a few years to build up to it, so it would be a real smack in the face if I lost it.
Anyway - looking forward to chatting to all of you and for your support!

Thanks

CaveMum Thu 06-Jan-11 20:51:30

Attila thanks for your comments. I had thought about PCOS but wasn't sure that I "fitted" the other symptoms - trying very hard not to self diagnose!

Forceswife (I'm a RAF wife myself!) and dontcarehow you can always come and join us in the First Time Frolickers thread - we are all trying to conceive our first baby so it is great to be able to share experiences and wobbly breakdowns with like minded people! You can find us here

forceswife Thu 06-Jan-11 22:05:22

Hi CaveMum!

My hubby is based 2 hours away from here - at one point I had to drive all the way down there just to try to catch the right moment! ha ha that was a bit desperate...

Luckily he has the whole of this month off (
although he is going in for an operation on his arm tomorrow, but he should be back to normal within a couple of days) so we have some quality time together - so fingers crossed for this month!! ;)

YummyorSlummy Fri 07-Jan-11 01:21:45

Hello! Another raf wife here- we are currently living in Germany! I'm on the 'September Bus' too and took last pill on the 20th December. However if I'm not pregnant by March I'm going to be using condoms that month as Ds is a December baby and one is bad enough! grin

chocolatebuttontheif Fri 07-Jan-11 18:34:53

Hi to everyone who has joined in the last couple of days!

And sorry to those who are having problems with not having periods again yet, it must be so frustrating when GP's won't look into it until 6 months!

When it took us so long to conceive DS I thought the pill might be to blame. I stopped taking it at the end of November, and had a 36 day cycle before AF, I also had signs of ovulation, so I believe hopefully my cycles have gone straight back to normal.

Also my sister got pregnant in her 2nd cycle after 15 years on the pill so there is hope!

Good luck to everyone!

forceswife Wed 12-Jan-11 19:53:05

Hi!

Still trying (only since end of September last year) so still not getting worried yet. Been on the pill since I was 20 (now 35), so could take a while I guess.

However, now have come down with some sort of flu - aching muscles, sore throat, no appetite etc....I'm hoping it goes away soon as I don't want it to affect our chances this month, at the end of the week it is the "prime time!!"

Bye for now!

dontcarehow Thu 13-Jan-11 11:04:28

FFS!! I'm getting annoyed with my own impatience now. Went for a blood test today and have to wait until next week for the results. Even this relatively short wait is already driving me insane. I'm finding it very difficult to cope with myself right now, I feel crazy with one half of me being obsessive and the other wishing the other half would just shut the hell up. Might just get drunk to forget about it all. I've never wanted my period so bad! Just some change from the months of nothing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: