Talk

Advanced search

how long to conceive after depo injection

(11 Posts)
teacher123 Sun 28-Nov-10 21:35:15

My depo shot 'runs out' the first week of december-have read lots of worrying things on the internet about it taking ages for fertility to return to normal. We hope to ttc as soon as possible. Just wondering what peoples experiences were.

Thank you!

DrewsGirl Mon 29-Nov-10 08:49:30

I have never had the injection but when i was deciding wgat contraception to have my doctor told me to have the implant instead as the injection can take a year to wear off. Probably not what you wanted to hear though. Good luck TTC x

ThwopGoesTheMooncup Mon 29-Nov-10 09:27:28

I switched from depo to mini pill because of this, but came off mini pill after 6 months and conceived in 2nd month of trying. So only 8 months after I came off depo and I had been on it for years. Good luck!

catmad2010 Mon 29-Nov-10 09:30:52

I have a friend who was on the depo and concieved within 3 months of coming off it. I was also on the depo (for 3 years) and was told that it takes an absolute maximum of 18 months to get your fertility back, but most people do much much quicker than that. I was also recommended to go on the pill for a little bit because once you come off the pill you have a surge of fertility, and is actually sometimes recommended for couples having fertility problems to take advantage of that surge. My advice is not to worry about it, everyone is different and the internet is always full of worst case scenarios!

Enjoy your TTC! grin

teacher123 Mon 29-Nov-10 12:32:51

Thank you for your replies - think I'll go and have a chat with the GP and see what they recommend! (probably should have done that first rather than posting on an internet forum, but hey ho!)

silkenladder Mon 29-Nov-10 15:44:01

I've also just been through the horrible experience of googling ttc after depo so I know what you're going through sad

Do you know whether you had the new version of depo? It's only been around since July 2009 and tbh I don't even know if it's used in the UK (I live in Germany), but it has a 1/3 lower dose of the hormone than the old one. I found the information sheet online and that said 97% of women menstruated again within a year of injection (37 of 38 women who were given a single injection). Average return of period 30 weeks.

My experience fwiw: I had one single injection of the new depo in March (would have "run out" in June) and have just had my first period, having had spotting eight weeks previously. I am fairly sure that I have not ovulated yet though. I am breastfeeding twice a day, so that may well be affecting things.

My OB/GYN also mentioned going on the pill for a month or so if things didn't seem to be getting back to normal quickly. Hope things work out for you.

teacher123 Mon 29-Nov-10 15:57:02

I've been on the injection for about 2 1/2 years... (was trying to remember earlier) so would definitely have been on the 'old one' iyswim...

Ah well, I think we're just going to have to wait and see - I think I'm just being very impatient! Basically DH and I decided last week that we were ready ttc and I am terrible for wanting things straight away!

nurse47 Mon 29-Nov-10 20:56:00

Hi i was on depo for 3 years, i came off it in may 06, my af came back in nov 06, and then we started ttc. i fell pg in sept 07, i sadly mc in nov 07, but then fell pg in feb 08 and had my little girl in oct 08. Just to add i did have my bloods done in May 07 just to check everything was ok (i think they did my day 21 bloods to check i had ov) and they came back normal, hope this helps.

katielou878 Mon 29-Nov-10 21:10:29

I had been on depo for about the same amount of time as you and mine 'ran out' at the beginning of july. I had my first period two weeks ago. I had been taking agnus castus tablets as I read these can help but don't know if it had anything to do with that or not.
Try not to read too many of the horror stories on the internet as I have also heard of a lot of women not having any problems at all after the depo.

nurse47 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:46:02

I agree with katie dont read all the horror stories, i did and got myself all stressed out. Like i said my bloods were fine, i think the stress got to me and thats why it took so long, when i got pg in the sept 07 we were on holiday, even though i mc it reassured me that i could get pg and i think thats why i got pg so quickly because i stopped worrying, (well i didnt i just realised that i was more worried about been pg and losing the baby, getting pg was the easy bit).

indigobarbie Tue 30-Nov-10 23:17:03

I came off depo after 10 years in 2007. Went straight onto a pill, and then came off that after around 6 months. My period settled quite quickly and I fell pg fairly quickly. I know there are lots of horror stories around, but everyone is different. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now