Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Withdrawral SEX! Anyone fell preg..v.worried!

(24 Posts)
mummysmadhouse Mon 22-Nov-10 21:11:57

Hi this is slightly embarrasing..as i know it was irresponsible..But me and my dh got a bit ahem carried away a couple of weeks ago, but a paniced and we stopped be for he..you know what!

But now ive been worrying as i had really mild period symtoms but not due for a week (or so i think..i only had my first period 3wk ago as im still Bfeeding)

But previously my periods have been to the day (28day cycles) if this is still the case its a week before im due..so im prob reading far too much into it..i hope but im worrying im having implantation symtoms or something.

With dc3 we had only had sex once the day my period stopped and was soooo shocked to be preg think thats why im worried now

TrillianAstra Mon 22-Nov-10 21:17:21

Withdrawal method is not a form of contraception, there are sperm in the pre-cum.

If it's within 72 hrs, get the morning after pill.

Otherwise, you'll have to wait until it's late enough to test.

If you have gotten pregnant before on a non-optimal day after one session of sex - BE CAREFUL!

Of course you are probably just imagining things because you are worried. Hopefully this is just a scare.

winnybella Mon 22-Nov-10 21:20:03

There are sperm in the pre-cum, but usually that's when the man has ejaculated not long before. If your dh didn't for a day or two, urine should have washed the remaining sperm out from the urethra.

HTH

mummysmadhouse Mon 22-Nov-10 21:24:26

Thank you..i know it is so not a form of contraception, thats why it was so STUPID! And wont be happening again.

I suppose its a waiting game, and hopefully ive been luckly and learnt my lesson...i am usually so sensible!

TrillianAstra Mon 22-Nov-10 21:27:58

Fingers crossed - make DH get some condoms!

reddaisy Mon 22-Nov-10 21:35:28

We do this every time we have sex, it isn't ideal and I know it isn't a reliable form of contraception but I haven't fallen pregnant in nearly two years of doing it so I'm sure you will be fine.

Disclaimer: We wouldn't mind at all if I did get pregnant so that is why we don't use condoms.

TrillianAstra Mon 22-Nov-10 21:38:46

Daisy you may not have got pregnant in 2 years but did you see where the OP got pregnant with her most recent DC after having sex once? Sounds like a pretty fertile couple!

Sorry, not helping there.

purpleduck Mon 22-Nov-10 21:43:26

Both my kids were conceived this way

TheBigZing Mon 22-Nov-10 21:45:47

We have used withdrawal as our only form of contraception for about 10 years.

We stopped withdrawing about 4 yrs ago to try for a baby. Had a baby who is now 2 yrs old. Since baby we have been using withdrawal again.

It certainly has worked for us. I know there's no guarantees but I think it's much more effective than people give it credit for.

reddaisy Mon 22-Nov-10 21:47:12

Trillian - I didn't spot her last line about getting pregnant after having sex once.

I was just hoping to reassure her through sharing my experience.

TrillianAstra Mon 22-Nov-10 22:25:13

"I think it's much more effective than people give it credit for."

Well yes, more effective than having sex all the way, but the plural of anecdote is not data. Your personal experience isn't evidence that the withdrawal method is good, it's only evidence that you were lucky and/or don't get pregnant very easily.

I'm just arguing the concept of proof and evidence now, not trying to worry you more madhouse, you are very probably not pregnant at all.

TheBigZing Mon 22-Nov-10 22:38:58

I don't think I even remotely implied that my personal experience was 'proof' thanks Trillian.

Merely sharing my anecdote as reassurance to the OP. Not dressing it up as anything but anecdotal.

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 22-Nov-10 22:44:03

In response to OP, not read other posts, DD arrived in April after a session similar to the one you describe in July 09...

TrillianAstra Tue 23-Nov-10 08:46:14

Zing you said "I think it's much more effective than people give it credit for." If you were basing this on something other than your personal experience then I apologise for my impromptu lecture on the nature of proof.

Basically, we can have all the stories of 'I got pregnant doing this once' and 'I did this for years and didn't get pregnant' that we like, but it's not going to change the actual likelihood.

NHS says: "Of every 100 women whose partners use the withdrawal method, 19 will become pregnant during the first year of typical use." This is the average, and some women wouldn't get pregnant in the first year even if they did nothing of course.

You're probably going to end up with the much-less-exciting story of 'I did this once and thought I was pregnant and it was a bit scary'

Duna Tue 23-Nov-10 10:21:51

Hi OP

The general advice for the withdrawal method is don't use if pregnancy would be 'totally unacceptable' because, as Trillian points out, the typical use failure rate is very high.

However, the perfect use failure rate is actually fairly low...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_birth_control_ methods

It depends a lot on how effective the man is in pulling out completely in time (and also not ejaculating anywhere near the vagina). We need to bear in mind that the typical use failure rate is also skewed by teenagers and young men who get very, ahem, excited, and aren't as good at timing themselves.

Oh, and also, the general medical consensus now is that there is no viable sperm in pre-cum, but like has been pointed out, if I man was to come very soon before intercourse and has not been for a wee, then there may be some still in the uretha.

Hope this helps, and try not to worry too much... :-)

mummysmadhouse Tue 23-Nov-10 13:06:14

Thanks everyone .

ladyoftheflowers shock&smile

I completely agree and know it is not a realiable contraceptive method, but i made a mistake..so was interested to see if anyone popped up that had fallen pregnant this way.

I think i should be ok and feeling hopefully..but had some doubt in my mind as i was convinced it would be very unlikely i was preg after having sex once the day my period stopped. Esp as on 'average' women ovulate around the 14day mark! (we had talked about having another so were fine about becoming pregnant at the time - not just being irresponsible..so it was i happy surprise)

Previously for my 2dds i had used ovulation tests and was ovulated around day 15 or later...so god know what was going on down there for dc3 smile

mummysmadhouse Tue 23-Nov-10 13:07:19

feeling hopeful blush

mummysmadhouse Fri 26-Nov-10 12:06:45

Ladyoftheflowers and purple duck im back again to quiz you both!

Did you mean you fell preg once after having sex once after your period or that you fell preg after withdrawral??

Sorry dont mean to offend just wanted to be clear...as my period still hasnt arrived dispite me feeling like im going to have one everyday sad

EnnisDelMar Fri 26-Nov-10 12:12:31

Hiya,

when did you have this incident, cycle wise?

do you think it was around a week before ovulation? If so your chances are slim.

mummysmadhouse Fri 26-Nov-10 12:16:43

It was just after my period stopped..so normally it would be a slim chance timing wise..but thats what i thought when me and dh had sex once the day my period stopped. I was shocked to say the least when i found out i was preg with ds BUT at the time we had alreadty decided to have another child if lucky enough so it wasnt a problem

Im hoping all my period symptoms, but lack of actually period may be related to still breastfeeding

EnnisDelMar Fri 26-Nov-10 12:19:17

I see where you're coming from.

Normally it would be a very low risk, but given Bf cycles can be all over the place, there's no guarantee of when you ovulated (or if you did!)

Do you monitor your cervical, erm, output? The time when you are 'wettest' is your most fertile time and indicates ovulation is about to happen.

It's a very useful thing to watch out for.

I do sympathise, had a w/d scare myself a while back. I wasn't pg, incidentally smile

mummysmadhouse Fri 26-Nov-10 12:32:45

Thank you, its good to hear your scare was just a scare! Think if nothing happens by monday ill be sneding dh for a test..part of me does not want to know the answer..really dont think i can come with 4dcs! 3 4and under is enough for me atm

Ive heard all different things re cervical mucus..that your fertile when its stringy or when there is more/less etc etc

Just out of interest are you using natural family planning now? The reason my contraception isnt yet sorted is because i cant find anything suitable apart from condoms and they actually irriatate me..not as in a dont like them but they seem to make me sore tmi!

AmandaCooper Wed 01-Dec-10 08:03:19

Sorry if I'm being thick Trillian, but isn't the 'data' on c

AmandaCooper Wed 01-Dec-10 08:06:06

Sorry if I'm being thick Trillian, but isn't the 'data' on contraceptive failure almost exclusively based on anecdotes? I don't see how it can be otherwise. The 17% the NHS quote must be based on what people have told them anecdotally in a survey.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: