Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Mirena coil

(10 Posts)
dolcegusto Sun 21-Nov-10 21:34:56

I've had a mirena coil for about 18 months, had light periods every 6 weeks or so.

Have just realised I haven't had a period for probably 4 months at least. Is this normal or should I do a pg test?

bellylicious Sun 21-Nov-10 21:49:39

i would test just to be sure but it can be normal,
i know when i had my coil in it took me 3 1/2 months before i had a period!
if you get a bfn then just to put your mind at ease go to the nurse/doc just to be sure

bellylicious Sun 21-Nov-10 21:50:33

ah sorry forgot to say
my second son was a happy accident whilst i had the coil .......... eek grin

dolcegusto Sun 21-Nov-10 21:52:16

Oh god don't say that... My sil also has a 6 month old dd conceived with a coil.

An awful lot of people seem to get pg with a mirena coil.

bellylicious Sun 21-Nov-10 21:54:15

yer its not quite as good as they say im afraid
i know of 2 people who have had babies whilst having the coil

what would your feelings be about a bfp

MimsyRogers Sun 21-Nov-10 21:56:14

I didn't have periods with the Mirena coil, so hopefully it's normal for you.

dolcegusto Sun 21-Nov-10 22:02:06

God I really hope so mimsy. The thing that worries me is that I did have periods for the first 15 months or so.

Would like dc3 but not just yet!! Am finally back at pre-preg weight after 4 years of trying, and have plans to finish my degree next year, so timing is a little poor. Plus I have a large glass of wine in my hand that I'm really enjoying and would like a few more months of drunkeness wine drinking. grin

dolcegusto Sun 21-Nov-10 22:12:39

Sorry missed your message there belly,

A bfp would be received with a massive grin on my face, and probably lots of tears, but dh is dead set against another, although I'd like it but not for a couple more years for the reasons above.

Am still very broody though [Blush]

QuietTiger Mon 22-Nov-10 13:36:17

I had a mirena coil for 4 years and no periods. It was bloody bliss! I'd do a PG test to be sure, but IME it's highly probably that you're not pregnant. Having said that, it's not beyond the realms of possibilty. QT

decisiontime Mon 22-Nov-10 21:16:08

Hi Dolcegusto, I've got Mirena coil now for 3.5 yrs and apart from initial prolonged bleeding I haven't had periods during this time, only occassional spotting.This can be normal for some women that have Mirena. However, given that your bleeding pattern has changed suddenly, I would check, just in case, oops.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: