Talk

Advanced search

Fertility treatments/tests, What can I expect?

(7 Posts)
Sarahk73 Sat 20-Nov-10 11:06:48

I'm 37 and have a 7yr old son with my ex-husband. I got pregnant straight away with my son.

I remarried and my husband is 27 and we have been trying to conceive for Just over 2 years. He has no children.

Our fertility tests have come back ok and I have been referred for an ultrasound scan and to a fertility gaenacologist (I think), both appointments are coming up this week.

Just over a year ago, I did become pregnant, but didn't know and was rushed to hospital with a ruptured eptopic pregnancy when I collapsed. I was in surgery 5hrs and am lucky to still be here. They had to remove the tube that ruptured completely.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what happens through the fertility referral process and would just like to talk about it as I don't know anyone who has had this type of experience.

longgrasswhispers Sat 20-Nov-10 16:24:29

Oh poor you re the ectopic.

The ultrasound will show up if anything's out of place or not working properly, or if you have a cyst or a fibroid or something. They'll probably scan that ruptured tube quite closely.

After that I would imagine they will do blood tests to make sure your hormone levels are normal, and possibly something called an HSG where they'll shoot dye through your tubes to make sure they're clear (i.e., that eggs can get through them).

I'm not an expert - had tests for recurrent miscarriage - but I really wish you all the best. Someone else may be able to give a bit more detail.

Keziahhopes Sat 20-Nov-10 21:03:50

Hi, yes basic tests are: - SA for your dh, your bloods may be repeated (day 2/3 and day 21 ones) and a transvaginal scan and a HSG possilbe to check health of uterus, cysts/fibroids and health of other tube and to check it is not blocked. A recent smear will be needed, if you not had other tests they may be ordered - STI tests (chlymdia especially), thyroid blood tests, prolactin blood tests. I guess you could talk about your ectopic last year and what happened, in case that is causing an issue.

However, you will not likely be able to have NHS funding for fertility treatment as you already have one child if you need ivf - each area has its own rules etc.

All the best x

BelleEpoquex Sat 27-Nov-10 12:58:17

Hi Longgrasswhisper & Keziahopes, thanks for your replies.

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, sadly my mum was rushed into hospital at the weekend and its been a very scary week.

I had my appointment and I'm to have a laperoscemy op in January to see if my remaining tube is blocked and several other tests of bloods etc.

The consultant was very straightforward and informative, apparently there is a very high chance my tube is blocked, it could be as a result of the surgery after my eptopic.

On a positive note, if it is blocked we will be put forward for IVF as my husband does not have children, so thats good news.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Best wishes x

Italiangreyhound Sun 28-Nov-10 03:15:01

There is an assisted conception thread on here would you like to come and join us?

Italiangreyhound Sun 28-Nov-10 03:16:06

It is here all welcome.

Sorry to hear about your mum, hope she is better soon.

BelleEpoquex Tue 30-Nov-10 09:57:26

Hi, thanks I'll come and join x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now