Talk

Advanced search

Scan shows no follicles

(5 Posts)
Vics79 Mon 15-Nov-10 15:01:58

Hi - I have been trying to conceive since May and I have just been for an ovarian reserve test and to talk about a short luteal phase at the london fertility clinic. The doc there did a scan and basically said he couldn't see any follicles in one ovary. He said that wasn't good. I have a second scan in 2 weeks but told me not to worry until they get the full picture. Obviously I am not just worried but close to tears. Has anyone had experience of this?

DachshundsRule Mon 15-Nov-10 16:44:19

vics Really really don't worry, although I know from experience that it's a lot easier to say than do. I had a similar experience - I had a scan and they couldn't see any antral follicles on either ovary. However, I've been having fertility treatment and both times when they gave me the drugs I produced lots of nicely growing follicles. Before I had any investigations or treatment I got pregnant naturally in June, which sadly ended in miscarriage but at least it proved I could get pregnant.

Vics79 Mon 15-Nov-10 17:00:31

Hi DachshundsRule , that is so comforting to hear about drugs helping your follicles. I also got pregnant naturally in June which ended in an m/c 7 wks later which proves i could get pregnant but I’m not sure what this means about not seeing follicles...is it low ovarian reserve? Is your fertility treatment just stimulating the follicles or is this because you are having ivf?

DachshundsRule Tue 16-Nov-10 10:10:39

They would usually expect to see follicles but the lack of them on the scan doesn't necessarily mean low ovarian reserve. When I saw a gynae for a completely unrelated matter he was totally unphased by my apparent lack of follicles. You could just be odd! The follicle stimulation was first with clomid for IUI and then with injectibles for IVF.

Vics79 Tue 16-Nov-10 11:31:11

Thanks! I best stop panicking until i get the full picture at the next scan. Good luck with your treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now