Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Quicker to conceive DC #2?

(12 Posts)
smk84 Sun 07-Nov-10 15:29:56

I am just wondering if it takes less time to conceive a second child. I have several friends who conceived their second almost straight away. Anyone else found that? Or the opposite?

Luce2006 Sun 07-Nov-10 16:46:35

I guess it all depends..I conceived DS1 while on the pill and we've now been trying for just over an year for number 2 and I've got few friends who are in the same boat or were in the same boat.

GetDownYouWillFall Sun 07-Nov-10 16:57:01

I know several couples who had "unexplained fertility", had fertility treatment to conceive their first and then went on to have another DC naturally. One couple had been trying for 8 years, had a DD through IVF in the end, and then a year later had a DS totally naturally.

Also know a couple who tried for around 10 years, eventually adopted two children, and then went on to have two naturally,

But also know people the other way round - had their first, and are now struggling to conceive their second.

I think there is no real rule either way, some people just get lucky first time round and think it will be the same next time and are shocked when it's not. For others it's almost like their body needed a pregnancy to jolt it into normality in some way, and then they were able to go on to have more. Or maybe it's because the stress and pressure of conceiving was then lifted, who knows.

pud1 Sun 07-Nov-10 17:00:49

took me 3 years to conceive dd1 after 2 mc. was a year between last mc and conceiving her.
dd2 was a total shock found out i was pg when dd1 was 9 months, was bfeeding and on the mini pill ( was rubbish at taking it at the right time). i do think having the first gives you a kick start

systemsaddict Sun 07-Nov-10 17:09:42

have posted this before I think - dc1 took 2 years - dc2 2 minutes grin

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sun 07-Nov-10 17:17:12

I had months of fertility treatment prior to conceiving DC1. DC2 was conceived naturally within a fortnight - that was a pretty big shock, I can tell you, esp. as we'd started earlier expecting to try again for months before being referred for more treatment!

sickoftheholidays Sun 07-Nov-10 20:19:58

DS took 39 cycles of planning and near perfect timing. DD took 1 cosy evening in
front of telly and a bit too much wine.......

KTDace Sun 07-Nov-10 21:04:07

DD took 1 month, DC#2............well it has been over 2.5 years, 2 MC and still no DC. Having got pregnant so very easily the first time I thought we would have no problem having a second, oh how very wrong we were.

So until you try you just can not be sure.

duffegg Sun 07-Nov-10 22:51:03

Message withdrawn

CornishKK Sun 07-Nov-10 22:54:32

Took 1/2 an hour to conceive PFB, have been trying for dc#2 for nine months now.

smk84 Tue 09-Nov-10 22:42:38

Thanks everyone, such a mixture !
KTDace & Pud1 - so sorry to hear what you have been through. TTC is such a rollercoaster !

smk84 Tue 09-Nov-10 22:43:32

Thanks everyone, such a mixture !
KTDace & Pud1 - so sorry to hear what you have been through. TTC is such a rollercoaster !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: