Talk

Advanced search

7 days of positive OPKs - argh what gives?

(24 Posts)
skandi1 Mon 25-Oct-10 23:44:34

I am hoping some of my fellow POAS -addicts- experts can help me out.

Imve now had a weeks worth of positive OPKs. And yes I'm doing them correctly - around 2pm every afternoon.

Had ovulation pain last week after 2 days of positive OPKs.

And they are very positive (test line darker than control line).

Bit confused as last month (first go with OPKs and ttc) they were psotive for 2 days and then line complete disappeared within 12hrs of feeling ovulation pain.

Not on medication, not ill, not taken any natural remedies.

Any ideas???

tyia

skandi1 Mon 25-Oct-10 23:45:52

argh can't even get spelling right on phone!

CoinOperatedGirl Mon 25-Oct-10 23:59:17

Pregnant? I'm sure I read they can pick up hcg too.

skandi1 Tue 26-Oct-10 00:12:07

would it not be too early to tell at 5 days dpo and they've stayed positive the whole time.

perhaps i am super ovulating and will be popping eggs out all over the place....

honestly puzzled!

MummyAbroad Tue 26-Oct-10 00:50:19

I agree with CoinOperatedGirl, its worth a pregnancy test.

Have a read of this:
www.peeonastick.com/opkhpt.html

On the other hand high levels of LH (the hormone detected in OPK's) are also associated with Poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). If you are having other symptoms like irregular periods for example, you could consider having a chat with your doctor to do some blood tests to see what is going on with your hormones.

Hope its the first option though!!! FX

skandi1 Tue 26-Oct-10 09:05:20

thank you Mummyabroad.

don't have pcos or pcos symptoms and periods are regular (clockwork).

This didn't happen last month. last month i had 2 days of positive opks and then no line about 12hrs after i felt ovulation pain.

hence very confused.

read what the poas.com lady had to say (fantastic btw!) and it would seem that if my opks were positive just before my period then it could be worth a hpt.

but this is as if the LH spike hasn't died off.

not a sign of some sort of illness?

IggitheImpaler Tue 26-Oct-10 13:18:44

Do what House would do. Rule out pregnancy, and then worry about what else it might be!

skandi1 Tue 26-Oct-10 13:37:51

ok. will poas later to rule out.

opk still positive today but ever so slightly less. is now same colour as control strip. perhaps thats my lh surge dropping and i really just did release several eggs.

a reasonable explanation but why just one ov pain?

perhaps dh is rigging the opks for extra bd!

MummyAbroad Tue 26-Oct-10 14:20:38

my money is still on BFP...

but found some more info here, apparently you can get positives for several days in a row and not have a particular problem... interesting.

www.peeonastick.com/opkfaq.html#4
4. What if my OPK is positive for several days in a row?

this guy says the same but you have to do a lot of scrolling
www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey =54668

good luck with the HPT!

NoMoreChocBiscuits Tue 26-Oct-10 15:14:02

Some one on another thread had 5 days of +OPKs last month and it turned out she was pg. Go do a pg test.

Good luck grin

skandi1 Tue 26-Oct-10 21:10:22

poas and obv it was negative (5 dpo so no surprise there).

This evening the opks are still positive.

off to do some more bd in case of another egg hatching....

Still mystified and would love to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Itsallkickingoff Tue 26-Oct-10 22:04:11

I had this experience when ttc #1 opks stayed positive for over a week but I got pregnant that cycle so was clearly ovulating. Never was really clear though as to when I ovulated. hth

skandi1 Tue 26-Oct-10 22:48:51

Thanks Itsallkickingoff.

All very odd.

In the interest of poas science I am going to keep using the opks to see how long they stay positive for.

More later.....

MummyAbroad Wed 27-Oct-10 00:49:11

curiouse and curiouser...

could it be a dodgey batch?

skandi1 Wed 27-Oct-10 15:13:47

I wondered about dodgy batch so bought another pack (Boots own) today.

Well, both are still positive. However I think the surge is dying down now as I think the test line colour is just a touch lighter than the control - but its hard to tell really as its clearly still very pink and strong.

I would say that these were less positive than previously as previous were darker than control until yesterday.

Anyway, I've not had any further ovulation pain (than the once last week) so am pretty sure its not a multiple ovulation situation.

Puzzled. I have googled and nothing sensible really comes up so not sure.

Did think about ringing GP but then reconsidered as they would probably think I was an odd time waster...

Will just have to keep testing.

So much for staying away from poas....

skandi1 Thu 28-Oct-10 20:31:37

Did another opk today and I wouldn't say that it was positive but there was still a very obvious line.

Dipsy3 Fri 29-Oct-10 15:05:08

There's nothing dodgy about the batch of opks- more like a dodgy batch of YOUR eggs! Start babydancing NOW and stop obsessing! Take it in the spirit it's intended- joke/ laugh! x

Brokenbits Fri 29-Oct-10 16:35:43

This happened to me the month I conceived DC2. In hindsight I believe my LH levels were too high and it unfortunately ended in mc, but lots of positives doesn't always indicate a problem so don't rule out a happy BFP at the end of this cycle. Good luck!

skandi1 Fri 29-Oct-10 17:48:31

ooooh. brokenbits.you're getting my hopes up!

did another opk today and there is only a very faint line so surge has died off.

dipsy3. lol. done lots and lots of bd. dh doesnt know whats hit him! think he is worn out by now.

couldnt help being puzzled by this so posted to see if anyone else had experience. it would seem just a few mners so clearly not common.

anyway got 7 days before end of cycle so am trying to stay away from the hpts until next week. wish me luck with that!

thanks ladies.

BrownB Sun 31-Oct-10 22:59:40

skand1.. did I see on another thread that you have had a BFP?

Congratulations! Fingers crossed for you - hope the next 8 months are good ones.

skandi1 Sun 31-Oct-10 23:02:02

i did but as am only 9dpo, i think i'll have to keep fingers firmly crossed to see whether it sticks!

thank you though.

kat2504 Sun 31-Oct-10 23:09:57

When I purchased sticks on line I was offered the choice of high/normal/low sensitivity. The 20/30/40 mIU/ml of LH respectively. With the high sensitivity I got a fade-in pattern, a day and a half of convincing positives, and then a day with a fading line.
Perhaps you need a less sensitive ov test so you will be able to identify your peak day?

skandi1 Sun 31-Oct-10 23:20:56

sticks were first response from boots with sensitivity of 40miu so not very sensitive.

i have ovulation pains but tried the sticks last and this month (first of ttc #2) because i wanted to know whether ov'd before ov pain, during or after.

the answer must have been during ov pains.

the first month with the sticks the surge and line vanished completely within 12hrs of ov pains. this month it stayed positive for 8 days.

and when the opk line was barely visible i got my bfp.

perhaps lh keeps surging for a while if you concieve?

Sinople Mon 25-Jul-11 23:32:41

My LH / opk is continuing to be positive, now day 21... hoping I could be pregnant too!!
Has anyone else noticed that they stay poitive when theyre pregnant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now