Talk

Advanced search

How much should my temperature rise?

(6 Posts)
KHT1975 Fri 13-Aug-10 12:30:40

I'm CD13 of 34. BBT read 97.33 today whereas up until now its been 97.18 pretty much every day. Can anyone tell me how high my temp should go when Im ovulating?

girlwithacurl Fri 13-Aug-10 12:41:03

Its quite individual, i take it this is your forst month? Your temp goes up the day after ovulation, so don't use temping as a way to time BD'ing. My temp goes from around 36.25 before ovulation, to around 36.6 after, so a rise of .4 (sorry in deg celcius) you need to look for a sustained (3 or more) rise before you can pinpoint ov. My temps do fluctuate though and can be anywhere between 36.0 - 36.4 before ovulation, and 36.5 - 36.8 after. i have been doing this a long time so I can identify it quite well, are you worried you have missed it or aren't ov'ing. I would keep BD'ing until you are certain, with a 34 day cycle the liklihood is you will ov around CD18, but again this can be different for different people, so just keep BD'ing.
Good luck

KHT1975 Fri 13-Aug-10 13:21:21

Thanks for that. I came off the pill end of May but havent had a positive OPK yet so was worried Im not ovulating and with this temp rise today was wondering if this was maybe the start of it. Hope so!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 13-Aug-10 13:31:42

Your temperature rises AFTER ovulation, not before or during.

OPK's are fickle things. They work for some but not for others.

I think it takes a good couple of cycles of charting your temperature to work out what is normal for you.

Have you heard of the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility? It is a revelation and tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about your cycle ie how to get pg, and how not to get pg.

Good luck smile

lucysnowe Fri 13-Aug-10 13:45:37

I second the book recommendation! Temps can go up by quite a small amount, but it's consistency you're looking for - consistently around a certain temp before ov, and consistently around a higher one afterwards. If your temps have been pretty much the same, and tomorrow and the next day they're still elevated, that might be a good sign of ovulation. But yeah, read the book, that can give you better advice.

BTW I never have had luck with OPKs either...

proseccogirl Fri 13-Aug-10 15:00:56

I wholeheartedly support the book recommendation - I got pregnant on month one of using Taking Charge of your fertility - now expecting baby in 7 weeks.
I didn't notice a discernable temperature shift the month I conceived so was worried I hadn't ovulated at all - if you want to get pregnant, then trust me, its all about the cervical mucous! sounds gross I know, but toni weshler tells you exactly what to look for and how, and you can then clearly tell when you need to get it on! worked for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now