Talk

Advanced search

Freeview competition/research I did a while back have sent my email address to everyone on their mailing list and I am Not Happy

(41 Posts)
AnarchyAunt Wed 07-Jan-09 17:22:09

They have emailed me (which is fine in itself as I said they could) but they have listed all the email addresses they have replied to at the top of the email.

Mine is my real name and I didn't really want it sent to a few hundred other people angry

BONKERZ Wed 07-Jan-09 17:23:43

mine too but i think it would be hard for people to find out your mumsnet name from the email. she has sent an apology. its easily done, our local police officer did this recently in one of the neighbour hood watch emails!

NickiSue Wed 07-Jan-09 17:25:28

I wondered about that as I got it too and could see everyone's emails (and they mine). That said my real name etc/mumsenet name and email address have nothing in common.

GentleOtter Wed 07-Jan-09 17:26:18

Mine is up there too AA and I was a bit shocked - a lot of people have their real names up. It is not ok at all.

taliac Wed 07-Jan-09 17:27:09

Yes I was waiting for the apology when I saw this..

ThingOne Wed 07-Jan-09 17:32:00

Easily done, Bonkerz? Not by someone with half a brain.

See this other thread too.

AnarchyAunt Wed 07-Jan-09 17:36:30

I know its not linked to my MN name but thats not the point. I trusted them with my 'official' email as it was a competition entry as well. I don't want it spammed to buggery, or my real name given to everyone else who did the survey.

Really really unprofessional IMO.

BONKERZ Wed 07-Jan-09 19:38:29

like i said our local police officer did this with all the neighbourhood watch people in our district! thats why i said its easily done! If police do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnarchyAunt Wed 07-Jan-09 19:52:51

Its still not the point.

Easily done or not, they have a responsibility to take data protection seriously. It should be absolutely basic when sending out an email like this to avoid listing all the recipients' addresses.

kormaisforlifenotjustchristmas Wed 07-Jan-09 19:54:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 07-Jan-09 20:32:16

I had one as well - it said something about me having agreed to take part in further promotional activity which I don't actually have any memory of doing. I took part in the Freeview thing here, but as far as I knew, that was the limit of it.

MmeLindt Wed 07-Jan-09 20:36:14

Very annoying and easily preventable when you know how.

A friend used to block the other names on the email list by using an Outlook funktion. Does anyone know how to do that?

Ingles2 Wed 07-Jan-09 20:38:30

I had this too.
I didn't have a clue what it was about at first. they could have written a more professional email , saying what she was talking about, instead of assuming we'd have a clue who her colleague was. And then to have open addresses. shock
Sheesh... Pr agencies these days

AnarchyAunt Wed 07-Jan-09 20:48:49

I'd have thought someone working for a PR company would know how to do that!

Tortoise Wed 07-Jan-09 20:54:58

I had it too. Deleted it because it didn't look like an official email, thought it was spam lol!
Didn't see the email addresses until i looked again after 2nd email. Had to click too see them on gmail. Luckily email not in my real name but is my MN name!

whitenoise Wed 07-Jan-09 21:01:30

i don't remember putting my email address on the viewtrition thing anyway, i recall thinking it was a shit idea...have mailed to be removed from their list and that no i have not had further contact from Jo Drake (or whoever it was)

fishie Wed 07-Jan-09 21:08:14

bcc

it is a crime i think. data protection act.

silly and common mistake but could be really serious

callmeovercautious Wed 07-Jan-09 21:10:48

AA - I am with you in your anger - I posted on the other thread. Not something I would expect from MN. And I do hold them to account for this sad

Fillyjonk Wed 07-Jan-09 21:11:10

yes am annoyed, it has my real name

and I DIDN'T take part, I just won vouchers grin

and I have bugger all desire to promote freeview or any other tv related stuff.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 07-Jan-09 21:12:38

Actually there is a different question here which is: does the fact that we participated in the survey/competition give Jilly at Nelson Bostock and external PR company who clearly have little or no regard for privacy the right to contact us? I think not.

Am royally pissed off, I get about 200 spam messages a day.

To quote Nelson Bostock's website:

'But before we start telling you about the agency, what we do and who we do it for (and there's plenty to tell), we'd like to talk about what makes us that little bit different.

Quite simply, it's our people. We believe passionately that the most successful way of winning minds for our clients is to pack the agency with Winning Minds of our own.'

Winning minds? hmm

Fillyjonk Wed 07-Jan-09 21:14:34

agree whomoved

It IS spam as far as I am concerned. I didn't say I'd take part in PR, I can't abide tv anyway.

duckyfuzz Wed 07-Jan-09 21:18:19

got this email too, edlted it automatically as assumed it was spam, have since gone back and retrieved it to read properly and now conclude that I was right the first time, not v impressed

Hulababy Wed 07-Jan-09 21:20:18

I had this email too and wondered where it had come from. I don't remember the survey. Was it a MN thing then?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 07-Jan-09 21:20:47

Has anyone bothered to tell MNHQ about this yet? Am off to do so.

AnarchyAunt Wed 07-Jan-09 21:21:33

I am phoning the company in the morning to complain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »