Talk

Advanced search

Win the gift of #WorkthatWorks - a place on the Digital Mums Social Media Management Course worth £1,800 [NOW CLOSED]

(86 Posts)
JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jan-17 09:32:14

Digital Mums are firm believers that flexible work - or ‘work that works’ as they call it - should be seen as the norm and not the exception. It shouldn’t be a luxury only afforded to a lucky few, so they’ve teamed up with us to give two lucky Mumsnetters the opportunity to win the gift of #WorkThatWorks - two FREE places on their popular online Social Media Management Course (worth £1,800)!

All you have to do to get your hands on the prize, is comment on this post with why #WorkThatWorks is important to you. Please note, good things don’t come easy and this course is not for the faint-hearted. You’ll need to be prepared to put in 15 hours a week for 22 weeks, but will have plenty of support along the way in the form of the fab Digital Mums Guides as well as your very own Digital Mums cohort - a group of seven sympathetic mums who are all doing the training at the same time as you and have your tired back! One winner will be selected from this thread and the second will be selected from this competition page

If you’d like more information on what their fantastic Social Media Management Course involves, visit the Digital Mums website or check out what some of their graduates have to say about it. Alternatively, if you have any questions, feel free to comment below and DigitalMums1 will get back to you.

Competition closing date: Friday 3 February, 2017

See the full competition page here for more details plus T&Cs here

WellIGuessThisIsGrowingUp Thu 02-Feb-17 16:09:49

Why is #WorkThatWorks important? I'm a mum of 2, when my youngest started school I thought it would be the perfect time to go and retrain. I went back to Uni, completed my PGCE and worked as a teacher. My first (and final!) year of teaching was completely exhausting; early starts, late finishes, evening and weekend working... And a significant amount of time spent in school during the holidays. It was an awful year, I missed my children and partner so much and I was so unhappy.

I left my job in August and since then am looking for the right position which will work around my family. #WorkThatWorks will make sure you have a great work/life balance, ensures you have enough time with the people in your life who matter and gives you the satisfaction of building your own career while still enjoying time with your family. Its vital to good mental health, happiness and wellbeing, and increases staff retention.

I would love to have the opportunity to train as a Digital Mum and truely find #WorkThstWorks

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:32:25

FiveGoMadInDorset

I do have a question, I have looked on your website and the FAQ's But couldn't find the answer, can Digitalmums give a break down of the hours, such as are their set times during the day which are better, how many are face to face and how many are work done by yourself.

Thank you

You need to be able to commit 15 hours a week to the Course but the majority of the training materials you work through whenever best suits you. It is 100% online and there are weekly video calls with your peers which you arrange at mutually convenient times. We designed the course to be as flexible as possible to fit around a mums busy schedule!

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:28:43

WannaBe

I've been looking at the courses online after my submission on Monday and am really keen to do this one. The one question I would like to ask though is one re accessibility as I use a screen reader. As 85% of the working-aged VI population are unemployed I believe that, assuming accessibility is not an issue which can't be overcome, this course could actually present real opportunities to help many people with VI into or back into the workplace, even though I know your course is directed at mums atm (of which I am also one).

I have done a lot of social media in the past but all for my own purposes iyswim plus I am a keen blogger.

I am also extremely keen to get back to work #workthatworks

Thanks so much for your interest in our training and for your feedback on the visually impaired - that's really useful to know. At the moment our training isn't optimised for the visually impaired but it's definitely on our list for this year and we are about to start scoping out what this would involve. If you want to pass on your email to us via Mumsnet, we will be in touch when we know more.

WannaBe Thu 02-Feb-17 17:47:30

I find your response incredibly disappointing as yet again accessibility is considered an afterthought.

It's little wonder that so many people with visual impairments (and I am a mum to FWIW) are out of work when companies just aren't interested in even considering accessibility to be an issue until "some point this year,"?

I'm guessing therefore, considering you've admitted publically that your course isn't accessible that my entry will have been eliminated based on the fact that I have declared my VI as part of the entry...

Had I not won I was seriously considering signing up to the course anyway. Looks like you've lost a potential customer then.

TopBitchoftheWitches Thu 02-Feb-17 18:00:41

#workthatworks = time as a single parent family whilst earning as well.

Tigerlily13 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:17:09

Having had 3 children in 3.5 years, my youngest now being almost 2, I feel I've been out of work so long I'd struggle to get back in! However I would love to do something to take some of the burden off my husband who works crazy hours to support us. This course would be ideal and I'd hope it would give me more opportunities afterwards so he can step back a little and I can contribute while still spending time with my small people!

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:19:36

Hello @WannaBe. It's Kathryn Tyler, co-founder of Digital Mums here. We have just hired an experienced Head of Learning to investigate and implement accessibility measures across our training but, as she only started last week, we aren't in a position to commit to a date just yet as she needs to scope out exactly what we need to do. As a small start-up we just weren't in a position to hire someone of her level before. Would you be interested in talking to her about your experience of online courses and what has worked in the past and what hasn't? At Digital Mums all new products and updates are co-designed with our students and if you would be interested in speaking with us, we'll get in touch. Many thanks in advance.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 02-Feb-17 19:31:56

Out of curiosity, how many do you have on a course, I think it's 7? And have any found the workload to much and dropped out?

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:26:34

@FiveGoMadInDorset peer groups are in groups of 7 and we currently take 84 students a month - 95% of our students have completed our training successfully and 4 out of 5 have found work, which they attribute to Digital Mums

Stickytoffeepuds Thu 02-Feb-17 20:34:33

What a great competition; something practical and relevant, that can really make a difference to mums that want to work and their families.

I returned to work after my second mat leave in the first week of January this year, I was made redundant in the second week (welcome back!). It's a good time to re-evaluate options as flexible working is a priority and I'd like to set up my own marketing consultancy. The one area that I need training in is social media management, both to develop my own business and offer it as a service to clients.

This could be my silver lining!

emloudubbs1982 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:14:16

Why is #WorkthatWorks important to me ?
Well... I am a 34 year old mother of four .
My first born is a 13 year old who has asperges and needs my consistancy at home .
I have two primary aged children who have enjoyed having me around more recently as I have been on maternity leave from a job that was demanding with long hours.

I am unable to return to my previous position as it would be costly for my husband and I to engage childcare as he is a swlf emplyed construction worker, money is tight.

I also feel I have something different to offer the working world now but no doubt I need some tweaking !

I was recently offered a job doing social media work for a friends buisness but I declined as didn't feel confident enough.

To complete a course like this I feel would be life changing for me and enable me to actualy take up an opportunity like the one I have recently turned down.

I have researched lots of courses but the cost is very difficult to meet when surviving on a low income.

Snowmouse24 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:46:00

My husband works away 6 days at a time and really feels the burden of being the sole earner in our family. I'd love to be able to contribute but since having children, I haven't been able to return to work. Previously I had a senior management job in a large company. I earned a good salary but it still barely covered the cost of commuting and childcare for one child, let alone 2. Returning to working long hours in an inflexible environment just made now sence. I've been a SAHM for over 5 years now. We live in a semi-rural area and job opportunities are limited, particularly when any childcare costs are factored in. I'm also finding that as time goes on, my confidence outside my home is dwindling - that person who chaired meetings in the board room seems to have disappeared. I love being with my children and don't want to miss them growing up but I'd love to find a way back into employment, a way to rebuild that confidence and a way to contribute to our income to make our family more secure and to take pressure off my husband. That's why #WorkThatWorks is important to me and why I'd love to win this course.

petra81 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:03:22

#WorkThatWorks the best prize ever. I would love to win.

eeroberts1 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:16:42

I’m really nervous about posting this publicly because I’ve not admitted my challenges to many people blush But I feel inspired by mummy-bloggers on social media to spread the word and demystify mental health challenges after having a baby. So here it goes. Postnatal anxiety (PNA) isn’t as well documented postnatal depression – but I can assure you, it exists! It came as a massive shock to me, after the birth of my second daughter. Returning to work a year later only added fuel to the fire and my PNA spiralled out of control. My workplace thought that letting me work 3 days a week (rather than 5) was “flexible”. However, I was often pressurised into travelling into work on my days “off” (we all know that days out of the office are not “days off” with kids!). I am a brilliant multi-tasker but sadly I am not a superhero and cannot split myself into 2 – I’ve tried and it wasn’t not pretty! This inability to be a superhero meant my anxiety levels were through the roof and I was forced to quit for the sake of my mental health. But guess what, just because I had PNA does not mean I have lost my skills – I am creative, motivated, resourceful and willing to learn. I still want (and need) to contribute financially to our household. I have now dealt (and to some extent, still dealing) with the anxiety and feel more than ready to work. Only this time around, I want some control over what “flexible” looks like. To me, #WorkThatWorks is about working damned hard, but not necessarily the hours of 9am-5pm. Our family have made massive sacrifices since I stopped work and just this week I was with the bank manager discussing overdrafts sad . My family needs #WorkThatWorks – I want to pay for my girls to go football practice and I want to be there to take them football

Also, I LOVE social media and I think I’m pretty good at it – I’ve lots to learn about how to maximise the impact of social media for businesses and this is why the course would be fab. I’ve been looking at doing the Digital Mums course for a while but household finances have made it tricky. I would also love to contribute to peer learning and peer support - this is a real pull for me to join the Digital Mums programmes - #sistahood.

Thank you #DigitalMums for “getting it” and flying the flag for parents who want to work hard to support their wonderful families.

clementineclouds Fri 03-Feb-17 15:03:07

#WorkThatWorks will simply allow me to create a life that works for me and works for my family. This will help my physical and mental health as I juggle everything life throws at me and ensure I work smarter.

Shomama Fri 03-Feb-17 15:05:11

I would love to win this competition. I've looked into Digital mums and think what they are doing is wonderful.

As a media professional with 10 years experience in communications and journalism and currently on a career break, it would be a dream come true. I have 2 small children both with health issues so often I need to go for appointments or care for them from home. So a 9 to 5 job would be almost impossible.

I want to get back to work and this is the perfect first step to relaunch my career. I would like to lead a more balanced life while using my skills and experience. I miss working and collaborating with people to come up with new ideas to solve different challenges that work presents. Getting help and reskilling is a key part of that transition as well as getting coaching and training to make sure my skills meet current market demands. If I am given a place on the programme, I would maximise my potential.

I have solid experience of working in journalism like when I worked at BBC and CNBC. I have many transferable skills which would be applicable to my future work.

I truly believe working from home or from anywhere at anytime would be ideal for me. For me that's #WorkthatWorks. My children need me to be around and I also know I want to work and use my skills. Like many mums who stay at home I need a confidence boost. Fingers crossed.

I'm posting this from the car as my child is sleeping so had to do this really quickly.

clickclickclick Fri 03-Feb-17 16:05:58

What a great competition!

I would love to win and I can commit to the hours needed. I've recently just finished a photography course and dh was great at coming home, minding the kids while I ate my dinner quietly so they couldn't tell I was eating in front of a webinar grin

#workthatworks is important to me because I have experienced two sides of #workthatdoesn'twork scale. I've been so overworked and sleep deprived with so much on my plate that I almost cracked up. I still feel guilty for all the time I missed out with my toddler back then. And I've also found myself unexpectedly made redundant and it took a while before I could find another job. I had too much time on my hands and my brain, motivation and "me" felt like it was slowly turning to stone. I truly appreciate what it means to have a good work-life balance and having this is one of my biggest priorities in life.

I have about 4000 twitter followers, quite by accident. I don't run a business from my account or anything. I have also started a fundraising campaign on social media and raised more than £50k and I also organised (with help) a live event with a few household names from my twitter contacts.

My youngest will be going to school fairly soon and I really want to work for myself in a flexible way that means I can enjoy my family, my free time and my work.

doublebubble16 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:20:19

#workthatworks is important to me because work that works shouldn't just be for perks!

DigitalMums1 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:43:51

Happy Friday everyone! Thanks for all your amazing entries, we're totally blown away by them and we really wish you could all win! Just a few more hours to enter so please comment below to be in with a chance of winning a place on our Social Media Management Course and finding work that really does work around family life! #WorkThatWorks

MrsAFlorrick Fri 03-Feb-17 18:50:25

#WorkThatWorks
What an amazing program just what I have been searching for. #PickMe

MissMrsMsXX Fri 03-Feb-17 19:21:22

I'm crossing everything.

EllaBelle20032016 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:34:56

#WorkThatWorks is important to me because I am on the cusp of handing in my notice for my job as a Service Manager as it no longer fits my family commitments, as many women are finding on this thread. Working is part of my identity and I know I am more then just a mum and a wife. It's taken a long road to get to having my second daughter after several miscarriages and I'm loving being a mum again, however, I also want my career to still be a part of my life to create that happy balance between work and home life, which makes finding #WorkThatWorks so important to me.

Your founder states what makes a good social media manager - which is someone who’s level headed, someone who’s a good communicator and someone who’s calm in a crisis. I am all of this but I can also bring a sense of humour, creativeness and versatility.

This post came at the right time for me as I was recently considering this as a career path as I can navigate pretty confidently around various social media accounts, and I have also recently started a blog on interior design on Instagram too called #interiorsmuging. Hopefully this is a sign 🙏🏻 I am really keen to further my knowledge on social media and have heard great things about #digitalmums I am also not afraid of the commitment it brings, when my eldest daughter was 8 and I was a single parent I did my degree in Business Management while working full time and going to lectures in the evening.

Hopefully you've heard enough from me to feel I would be a good choice to represent the #digitalmumsmassive

#fingersandtoescrossed

Anj123 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:17:20

When my daughter was a baby, both my husband and I started working part-time as we don't have any family nearby to help with childcare. Flexibility with our jobs has been and still is vital. We couldn't manage if our employers weren't so cooperative. #WorkThatWorks is therefore very important to us and social media is a big part of life these days. I love using social media and would love to learn more about it! Thanks for the chance.

truetops Fri 03-Feb-17 22:52:43

#Workthatworks

I have been searching for sometime,
For that dream job of mine,
Looking for my one passion to spark a new career,
I am not afraid of working hard,
In fact grafter is what I'm striving for,
And job satisfaction
but not at the sacrifice of family interaction.

Trapped in a dead end role so as not to miss the school run,
Needless to say my Self esteem is at rock bottom.
How did it I get here when I had so much ambition?
Why should i suffer for being a great mother?

But what is this #workthatworks with innovative inspiration?
Providing mums with the training to build their own creation,
Hundreds of happy homes growing out of the social media revolution,
This could be just the answer to my struggling vocation.

IWishMyArseWouldBrexit Fri 03-Feb-17 22:53:00

#workthatworks is important to me as I need to be around for my SEN child as childcare for SEN children is so expensive, plus he needs consistency and a parent who knows his routines and triggers. We juggle my dh working full time and me at home doing virtual admin, but also working nights out of the house. We really need me to drop the nights and weekends and I would love training from digitalmums to take my small admin business to the next level.

I believe that people of my age are "digital immigrants" working and competing against the "digital natives" of the younger generation. We need to upskill as much as possible to keep up and keep ahead in a world of ever evolving technology. I need the help of #workthatworks to help me do this by building my business and earn the income that can support the needs of my family.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »