Talk

Advanced search

Win the gift of #WorkthatWorks - a place on the Digital Mums Social Media Management Course worth £1,800 [NOW CLOSED]

(86 Posts)
JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jan-17 09:32:14

Digital Mums are firm believers that flexible work - or ‘work that works’ as they call it - should be seen as the norm and not the exception. It shouldn’t be a luxury only afforded to a lucky few, so they’ve teamed up with us to give two lucky Mumsnetters the opportunity to win the gift of #WorkThatWorks - two FREE places on their popular online Social Media Management Course (worth £1,800)!

All you have to do to get your hands on the prize, is comment on this post with why #WorkThatWorks is important to you. Please note, good things don’t come easy and this course is not for the faint-hearted. You’ll need to be prepared to put in 15 hours a week for 22 weeks, but will have plenty of support along the way in the form of the fab Digital Mums Guides as well as your very own Digital Mums cohort - a group of seven sympathetic mums who are all doing the training at the same time as you and have your tired back! One winner will be selected from this thread and the second will be selected from this competition page

If you’d like more information on what their fantastic Social Media Management Course involves, visit the Digital Mums website or check out what some of their graduates have to say about it. Alternatively, if you have any questions, feel free to comment below and DigitalMums1 will get back to you.

Competition closing date: Friday 3 February, 2017

See the full competition page here for more details plus T&Cs here

MumFullofDreams Wed 01-Feb-17 14:02:13

I can't speak for everyone but, having followed Digital Mums for some time, I'm well aware of their fabulous campaign and it was actually the reason this thread caught my eye 🖒

BigGrannyPants Wed 01-Feb-17 15:59:22

I have a 6 year old son and in 2015 had twins. Because of the costs of nursery, I had no choice but to give up my job and become a stay at home mum. Recently I looked again at working but even putting the twins in to nursery one day a week was almost as much as the job paid, and there is after school care to consider for my older son on top of that. I gains qualifications through my previous job, some of which are industry specific, some are transferable. I volunteer for my sons school Parent Council. I am the Social Media Coordinator and currently run their Facebook page and Twitter Account. I would love to do this course. A home working position would be ideal as my husband doesn't have set hours and can be called out at any time, for hours, days, weeks at a time.

JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Feb-17 16:21:00

Fair point @Trills - we are going to edit the title now wink

saltydogandme Wed 01-Feb-17 18:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DigitalMums1 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:03:54

Thanks for all your amazing comments so far - we've loved reading why #WorkThatWorks is important to you! Remember you still have until Friday (3rd Feb, 23:59) to enter if you haven't done so already. Good luck!

GoNorthatthefirstleft Wed 01-Feb-17 19:10:32

#workthatworks is very important to me as a disabled working mum I want to be able to both spend time with my beautiful children but also feel as I've I'm being productive and useful to. I currently work opppsite shifts to my husband to save childcare but would love to study to try something different ,to be a role model for my children showing that you don't give up and hard work pays off.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 01-Feb-17 20:11:16

This time last year I had a great job which I enjoyed and was flexible to enjoy family life and my husband ran our B&B, since then its all gone a bit tits up. My Dad died so i now work for my mother and although I get paid it is less money and doesn't challenge me, and then last August DH was diagnosed with bowel cancer with secondaries already in the liver and is already at stage 4 so bye bye B&B and hello treatments and learning to live on benefits as we had to close our business. In the mean time I have started a small but successful local business and struggling to have the knowledge to get it out there on social media, i glean bits and pieces from friends but I know it isn't enough.

I am not the only one in this rural county that has small businesses that they are trying to promote to earn a living and have a family friendly lifestyle and if I was successful I would use the knowledge to promote the many fabulous talents in this part of Dorset.

I don't know how long DH is going to be with us, it could be months or years but I need to put things in place to earn the money to keep us afloat without having to rely on the government and this would go along way in helping.

The course looks great on the website and the comments are really positive.

Mbear Wed 01-Feb-17 23:01:29

I would love to do this course. I was made redundant last summer and it has really made me reassess what work means to me and my family. They love having me around more, but part time work in what was my field (high end retail) is thin on the ground. I'm articulate, smart and funny and I'm good at talking to people - and this would be an amazing opportunity for me and my family.

#WorkThatWorks

Felicitystar Thu 02-Feb-17 03:10:29

I first found out about Digital Mums when I went back to work after having my daughter. I've been really interested in doing the course to enhance my skills and get accreditation for what I do. The joy of being a part time self employed mum means money has been tight and I've never been able to get the full course fee together. I would love to win this to show #workthatworks

Rojak Thu 02-Feb-17 06:03:28

I'm another DigitalMums alumni - think there are a number of us here. I found out about the course here and it has been fantastic for me. Helped me upskill & get back to work smile

lizritchieuk Thu 02-Feb-17 07:50:25

I have a 15 month old and due my 2nd child in May this year.
I have previously been a Social media Manager for a global brand of mobile phone so posting technical support answers on the clients Facebook and Twitter pages and checking my teams responses in line with the client but have no understanding of the internal works of social media and the platforms.
I would love to not have to go back to work full time and be able to work around my 2 children to save money on childcare costs. #WorkThatWorks.

WannaBe Thu 02-Feb-17 08:19:20

I've been looking at the courses online after my submission on Monday and am really keen to do this one. The one question I would like to ask though is one re accessibility as I use a screen reader. As 85% of the working-aged VI population are unemployed I believe that, assuming accessibility is not an issue which can't be overcome, this course could actually present real opportunities to help many people with VI into or back into the workplace, even though I know your course is directed at mums atm (of which I am also one).

I have done a lot of social media in the past but all for my own purposes iyswim plus I am a keen blogger.

I am also extremely keen to get back to work #workthatworks

willknitforwine Thu 02-Feb-17 09:42:41

#workthatworks would allow me to make a success of my small business, contribute to household finances for the first time since my son was born and achieve that elusive work/life balance.

Working 2 days a week and cramming my admin onto evenings and weekends allows me to have my son at home with me the rest of the week, but I feel like I'm always working and always tired! #workthatworks would help me learn to work smarter, not harder.

MadamPatti Thu 02-Feb-17 10:28:03

#workthatworks

Still searching for the elusive work life balance.

Just because my kids are now in school doesn't mean I'm not needed at home. Even so called "family friendly" hours can still put a family unit under considerable stress. After a long career in production planning, including a recent part time contract, I am accepting that my original career choice is not conducive to a work life balance, and that I am in need of retraining. However, that still does not mean I am willing to accept a low paid job as an alternative, and I still have a functioning brain that is in requirement of stimulation.

I would love a place on this course. It is key to my future.

stillnotjustamummy Thu 02-Feb-17 11:04:45

#workthatworks is important because the current patriarchal industrial revolution culture can't be smashed while we force ourselves and families to fit their structures. By doing it, being the model, showing the flex of it we can make work culture better for all workers and the workers of tomorrow.

cecr2912 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:39:41

This is revolutionary. I am a mum of twins and I need to travel with my husband's job so formal, permanent work isn't practical or possible. However, coming from a creative business background, I just know that there are so many more mums, talented and ambitious, who have the time and head space and drive to work flexibly, from home and with social media platforms that they already use in everyday life. I think this is AN AMAZING concept and I so so want to be a part of this and bring this way of working to the next level. I see this as a gate way opportunity and would maximize its impact in every way. I believe I'm a keen administrator and I love to network, spot individual talent and introduce collaborative partners; this course would allow me to do that on a scale that would change my personal and professional life and those of so many mums like me who need that initial lift to move in a productive, progressive and exciting direction. Please! Pick me!! Thank you so much and best of luck with your incredible training xx

poiana Thu 02-Feb-17 12:05:54

I already know about the courses organised by Digital Mums since I have recently started to look around for flexible working...

I had a little girl one year ago and I have been lucky enough to go back to my job (as a postdoc at the university) part-time and working remotely, but my contract will end soon and I am trying to come up with a solution that would allow me to get an income but be present for my little one now that she needs me the most.

The usual fee for the course is just too steep for me at the moment, so winning the chance to take part would be just perfect!

JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Feb-17 12:42:31

Reminder- You've got until 23:59 tomorrow (Friday) to enter! Lots of brilliantly inspiring entries so far smile Go ahead and leave your answers below if you haven't already- why is #workthatworks important to you?

Also, DigitalMums1 are on hand to answer any questions if you have any...

Over and out!

cookiefiend Thu 02-Feb-17 13:21:24

Winning a place on #workthatworks would be a dream come true. I have gone back to work part time since having my children and I know I am fortunate to have been able to, but working has restricted our family time which makes me sad.

Also after three years of toddler groups, feeding the ducks, collecting sticks and building forts- work seems impossibly dull! I have found my inner creative and am reluctant to let go!

I have recently started dipping my toe into social media and would love the skills to make a career from it.

Kapoww Thu 02-Feb-17 13:27:42

Hi Digital Mums!

I worked for many years as an Executive Assistant in a corporate environment and I loved it. I always intended to go back to work after children, I felt like I had it all planned out. Six years ago I had my first child and after he was born we discovered he had a disability. He has brought us so much joy, however with the additional needs it became more difficult to balance work and home life. I did go back to work full time but I constantly felt like I was not quite good enough, both as an employee and as a Mum! After my daughter was born in 2013, I made the decision not to go back to work.

I became a trustee for my local charity supporting families of children with the same disability. My key responsibilities are marketing, fundraising and Social Media. I love it, but I feel like I could be doing so much more if I had some training! I would love to build upon my self taught skills and really increase our SM presence, and make it successful for such a wonderful charity.

It's not all about charity though. I would love to be able to #dothehustle and find some paid work for myself! It's so important to me to be able to contribute financially to my family, and as my daughter is going to school in September I feel this is the perfect time.

I know that in order to become a freelance SM Manager it will take initiative and grit. In 2005 I moved from the Southern Hemisphere to the UK by myself, despite only knowing a couple of friends here. I stepped out of my comfort zone and it was scary and exciting and so worth it! I made it work and I am now settled here with my beautiful family. As the mother of a child with special needs I have found I am stronger and more determined than I ever knew. To ensure my son gets what he needs I work hard and I never give up. It's time to apply that strength and determination to my own goals and dreams.

I've been following Digital Mums for some time now, and I'm so excited about the advances you are making for #workthatworks. I also love how you have created a peer network. Motherhood can be isolating and so can returning to the workplace. I can't think of anything better than having a supportive network as I navigate this new path.

#workthatworks is not just important to me, it's a necessity!

Happymum123Z Thu 02-Feb-17 14:10:40

I'm sure many mums will relate to the post birth identity adjustment we all go through, the stress of a new child, wanting to still be superwoman (even though we don't realise we already are!!) and the bluriness of reality as we cater for the needs of our special new additions and also search for the new 'me'. This is the new 'me' which also still needs to fit into the demands of family life and all the different hats we wear on a daily basis. Phew! Being a mum is a gift, a blessing, an amazing experience... it's also a tough task but equally very rewarding. It's great that some of us on our unique journeys are able to find the new 'me', some of us on the other hand find it a little more challenging and just need a gentle helping hand in the right direction.

I took a break from a career within an office role after giving birth to my first son 5 years ago. I wanted to spend more time with my son and my new little family. It was one of the most special times of my life.
What I found was that there was however something missing. It was the independence of 'me' doing something for 'me' making my brain work again for 'me'. It's the 'me' that was bursting out of the seams to find independence outside of being 'mum' and a 'wife'. When my son became 3 years old, I finally found a part time office role in the hope to fill that void but still enjoy that special time with my family. Initially the role was a great outlet for me to get back into the outside world, meet different people and try and continue from where I had left off from in my career. Also with my parents being able to support me with childcare, it was a win-win, but after 6 months they were unable to continue with the support for all the days I was working and to be fair, I had always wished that childcare was easier to obtain through the work place. ( this is a different topic which I am very passionate about; work life balance through onsite crèches in the workplace. These companies are like gold dust for a working mum and there needs to be far more of them!) Dropping my son to my childminders and hopping on trains and buses, having to explain my son was ill and not being able to work from home as much as I would have liked to challenging. The whole process was expensive, tiring. I was exhausted, my son was missing me greatly, I was missing spending quality time with him and my husband. I actually realised I didn't enjoy what was happening anymore.
Since 2015 I have been a SAHM again, helping my husband with the admin side of his business and spending time with my son and I have recently had another baby earlier this year. I have been yearning for the independence to be successful as 'me'. Not just for my family but because I owe it to myself. This is why #WorkThatWorks is so important to me on an individual basis but also fundamentally for my family too. I believe a happy and successful 'me' as well as helping my family would be a massive achievement. It will help support me to overcome the challenges that come with relentlessly looking for that ideal space which I can own as my own. I have recently started up a domain in anticipation for a blog which I am finding very daunting to begin as I don't have the social media skills or experience but am full of ideas and bursting to share my thoughts and experiences on motherhood and new interests which have transpired. I would love to be able to complete the course successfully so that I can be fully equipped to start my journey as an avid writer which will form my blog so that I can reach out to others and inspire. I want to be part of a happy story where I have finally found work that has worked for me. My aim is to be able to look back one day and say to my kids and close ones that I did it for 'me' and 'us'. Thanks

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 02-Feb-17 14:16:25

I do have a question, I have looked on your website and the FAQ's But couldn't find the answer, can Digitalmums give a break down of the hours, such as are their set times during the day which are better, how many are face to face and how many are work done by yourself.

Thank you

Bernie16 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:04:38

#WorkThatWorks would be life changing for our family. Having been made redundant from a media relations role a year ago (a role I was in for 19 years), I thought that finding another role that would fit with my current life-stage would be far easier - what a shock I got! Having been in my previous role for so long, I have to confess I was very naive about finding work again. I have good experience and qualifications, but it means very little at my age (44) and finding a decent job that fits in between school hours is extremely difficult.
Having had a year to reflect, I have just set myself up as a self employed freelance writer and marketing professional, so having the added bonus of a social media qualification to add to my skill set would be invaluable. I have only just started out so I have not yet found work and have the time to dedicate to a fab course such as this. Despite seeing other mums friends, I am finding being a SAHM very isolating and miss the camaraderie you get working as part of a team. My old team mostly worked and met remotely but we were still very close, and I miss the shared work experience terribly.
Another issue I have to consider as part of my work search and a reason why I am so keen to embark on a course such as Digital Mums, is that I am a parent carer to my youngest son who was recently diagnosed with autism. Neither my husband or I have any experience of autism in our families and our oldest son isn't autistic, so this was a hugely unexpected bombshell when we first found out. The implications of having a disabled child are pretty huge. There aren't after school clubs locally that can care for him as they don't have that kind of provision, so this affects my availability for work - I simply have to work within school hours at this stage. I am hoping that as he gets older, his skills and communication will improve and enable him to attend more out of school groups independently but at this stage no one really knows what the future holds as he is largely non-verbal. We have never had family support like so many of our friends, which means my husband and I have been the sole care givers to both our kids since they were born. I have always been so incredibly envious of my friends who have grandparent or sibling support.
Winning the opportunity to start the Digital Mums course would be such an amazing and positive experience for our family, at a time when life seems incredibly hard and there are a lot of negatives. The chance to be part of a not only a course, but a movement that helps people like me continue to in a role that I've invested so much blood, sweat and tears in training and working for is incredibly special. Thanks for the opportunity. :-)

Annamaria0 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:20:37

My son has special needs, which makes finding childcare even more difficult and costly than usual. My husband has a demanding full time job and we don't have family living near us. It means I can only really work school hours and term-time, and there are so few businesses that are flexible enough to accommodate it. I am able to volunteer, though, and I have found it very rewarding. I would love to be able to develop social media management skills and find a paid, flexible position within the charity/NGO sector. In an increasingly crowded online space, these organisations have to be really savvy about their online presence and fund-raising. Many smaller charities don't have big marketing budgets, but clever use of social media doesn't cost much and can really help them get their messages across.

Confuzzlediddled Thu 02-Feb-17 15:39:42

I left my job though a settlement agreement in December, it's been an eye opener how much my children have enjoyed having me around even though they are 14 now.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis in 2013 and fibromyalgia in 2016 and as a result I've gone from leading a normal life to being disabled and in constant pain. #workthatworks would allow me to work round my illness and not have to go out in the cold on a bad day, at the moment even my weekly trips to the jobcentre are a challenge if I can't get parked close by, takes me a couple of days to recover! The hardest part of becoming physically disabled is the prejudice ive faced. I had to achieve more than my peers in my last job just to be treated as an equal because of course if my legs and hands don't work very well obviously I must be just a little bit thick of course, even the assessment for disability benefits included questions on such difficult subjects as if I had a pound and spent 97p how much money would I have left!!

I would love the chance to prove to the world I can be normal and achieve things so in a nutshell please please pick me you would genuinely change my life, in fact you would be giving me a life...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »