Talk

Advanced search

Win the gift of #WorkthatWorks - a place on the Digital Mums Social Media Management Course worth £1,800 [NOW CLOSED]

(86 Posts)
JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Jan-17 09:32:14

Digital Mums are firm believers that flexible work - or ‘work that works’ as they call it - should be seen as the norm and not the exception. It shouldn’t be a luxury only afforded to a lucky few, so they’ve teamed up with us to give two lucky Mumsnetters the opportunity to win the gift of #WorkThatWorks - two FREE places on their popular online Social Media Management Course (worth £1,800)!

All you have to do to get your hands on the prize, is comment on this post with why #WorkThatWorks is important to you. Please note, good things don’t come easy and this course is not for the faint-hearted. You’ll need to be prepared to put in 15 hours a week for 22 weeks, but will have plenty of support along the way in the form of the fab Digital Mums Guides as well as your very own Digital Mums cohort - a group of seven sympathetic mums who are all doing the training at the same time as you and have your tired back! One winner will be selected from this thread and the second will be selected from this competition page

If you’d like more information on what their fantastic Social Media Management Course involves, visit the Digital Mums website or check out what some of their graduates have to say about it. Alternatively, if you have any questions, feel free to comment below and DigitalMums1 will get back to you.

Competition closing date: Friday 3 February, 2017

See the full competition page here for more details plus T&Cs here

Stripeyblanket Mon 30-Jan-17 10:47:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stripeyblanket Mon 30-Jan-17 10:50:29

A dream come one true to spend More time with my little family. Working nights, evenings, weekends and even holidays like Christmas wasn't too bad before I had my little boy. Now I'd like the chance to change career to facilitate spending more quality time as a family. #WhyThatWorks

MissMrsMsXX Mon 30-Jan-17 11:35:05

Last year was the first year we haven't had holiday and when our car blew up we couldn't replace it. Life is getting expensive and my DH's company is making it harder and harder to earn. He carries the entire financial burden on his own.

I would love to get back into work, I had a fantastic job before DCs but circumstances meant, and lucky for me, that I stayed home with them. I am ambitious but in no position to flex those muscles, having been out of work for so long the only job I could get would be rubbish hours, low pay and impossible due to having four children.

#workthatworks is important because it will enable me to work at a time and pace that is right for me and my family. It will give me me back! It will also enable me to support my DH with his career, a real family effort.
I'm already relatively active on SM and have acquired a decent, 3000+, twitter following but that doesn't make any money! I am an intelligent woman who only manages to exercise my grey matter when helping with GCSE homework! Please help me get back in and get on with my working life.

WannaBe Mon 30-Jan-17 11:56:18

When I gave up work to be a SAHM I never even considered that it would be impossible for me to go back. But after looking extensively for work for the past five years I have begun to realise that it's more than just an uphill battle.

As well as being a SAHM I am also visually impaired, meaning that the opportunities I have open to me are significantly reduced due to accessibility issues. Added to that, a recent survey concluded that nine out of ten employers wouldn't employ someone with a visual impairment.

Workthatworks would mean that I would be able to regain my financial independence while at the same time being able to be here for my teenager, as no-one seems to tell you that having teens is in some ways harder than having babies. At least they're portable. ;)

Trills Mon 30-Jan-17 11:56:25

Do you think it might be better to state what the prize is in the title?

#WorkThatWorks is a nice slogan but not very illuminating.

Pinchydowling Mon 30-Jan-17 12:07:30

I would love to spend more time with my family. I have a little girl who's 6 next week and a baby boy who is 4 weeks old. We tried for 3 years to have him, 6 miscarriages and thousands of pounds on treatment to sort my overactive immune system, the last thing I want is to leave him and return to working at my old work and missing out on both my children development #WorkThatWorks

whizzlepuff Mon 30-Jan-17 12:09:26

Not entering - just wanted to say I studied with digital mums and it was great. Got work at the end of it too... would recommend!

raspberryblush23 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:27:15

Im desperately wanting to update my skills and have work that fits around my family life. I'm presently working evenings and I'm exhausted! #WorkThatWorks.

DigitalMums1 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:33:33

whizzlepuff

Not entering - just wanted to say I studied with digital mums and it was great. Got work at the end of it too... would recommend!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it and hooray on finding Work That Works! smile

Leatherboundanddown Mon 30-Jan-17 14:18:57

I would love to win this.

I've been following the work of digitalmums for some time now and as a lone parent of one I am looking to career change to secure our future but could not really afford the course fee myself.

The course looks brilliant as do the testimonials from ex students and I find that really encouraging.

Keep up the great work digitalmums.

Cantwealljustgetalong Mon 30-Jan-17 14:46:53

I would love to win a place on this course as I have just started maternity leave for my 4th baby and will have to give my notice in as i will not be able to afford the childcare and also dont want to miss out on my final babys precious first years. I am willing to put in all the effort and work required to complete this course.

ElDa Mon 30-Jan-17 16:47:42

Hi, I had a great career prior having my family but since then I have been made redundant twice. First time around I was asked when am I having my third child and second time around that company can't afford part timers any more.. it's been disappointing and unfair to punish women because they want to have a family. Most women want to have a balance between their career and family time so well done for promoting this. If I get chosen it will be a bonus. Thanks

onadifferentplanet Mon 30-Jan-17 19:46:31

I would really like to win this I am agoraphobic which has meant I haven't been able to work for a while but just because I am stuck at home doesn't mean I don't want to work. I have some social media experience, I have set up and run FB and Twitter pages for people and also edit a local magazine and website for my Community. I have also done odd bits of online research for people and I am I think pretty good at it. Winning this would give me the chance to feel like a human being again and get me back into regular work. I am a hard worker and would give 100% at all times.

Brasoff2 Mon 30-Jan-17 23:39:53

#workthatworks = #familythatworks

Brasoff2 Tue 31-Jan-17 00:18:52

Or in the voice of Donkey from the Shrek DVD main menu "Pick me! Pick me!"

BlameItOnTheBogies Tue 31-Jan-17 12:58:18

The biggest change that happened when I became a mother was the discovery that I wasn't actually the most important person in the world (I know, who knew?). Suddenly my wants and needs had to be balanced with the increasingly irrational demands of the sub-one footers in the house.

I knew that for us as a family, we'd work best with me at home and available for all the exciting minutae of family life. So working outside of the home was a no-go. #WorkthatWorks for me is a role where I can benefit from the satisfaction (and money!) that an engaging job brings without compromising the happiness of my children

With the children at school age I am ready to take the next step career-wise and I have started to freelance remotely. I have taught myself Wordpress and my evenings consist of trying to understand Twitter and thinking of how to engage in Instagram. I dream in hashtags and no longer #dresstoimpress but #covertomother.

The Digital Mums course is one I've been interested in for a while and I love the idea of the recently launched 'Do The Hustle' course. Taking time-out caring really affects self-esteem so the extra focus and support when taking those first few steps as self-employed is such a great idea.

herebehippos Tue 31-Jan-17 16:30:04

#workthatworks would be a wonderful thing. At the moment I'm a sahm as we have no wider family help and with 3 dc we need the flexibility of someone based at home. But I would love to freelance, and I grew up online to a large extent. I often see businesses locally which could be running social media but don't know where to start and I could help them, if I knew more about marketing! This course could change my life and let me have a career instead of having to wait til my children have left school to work again!

northernlites Tue 31-Jan-17 17:21:49

I want my family back!
I currently work in public 'caring' service that means shifts, early hours, late shifts, nights, weekends, bank holidays.
Although supposedly flexible, it's a very demanding job, which penalises 'family' and therefore women.
Even going to a doctors appointment is sometimes impossible as you can't get the time off!
I don't want to miss my children growing up, but I need work that works for us
I want us to be 'family'
#workthatworks can change facilitate this

Kittykat1978 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:51:16

#WorkThatWorks Is important to me as I want to be a strong role model for my two girls so they know that actually, you know, in this day and age we can have it all. We can be a fabulous mummy AND career oriented at the same time. Family life needn't be impacted by the old constraints of 9-5, mums can go to the nativity play or piano recital and help teens navigate their group dynamics at school or help with tricky homework, mums work can be managed in and around family life. We only get one life and it's important for me to be able to choose an optimised lifestyle to suit my family AND my career. #WorkThatWorks

RockyTop Tue 31-Jan-17 21:40:13

#workthatworks is important to me as it sums up my two priorities when it comes to work;
1) It is important to me that I work, not just for an income but also to allow me to demonstrate a strong work ethic for my children. It also provides me with a professional and creative outlet to be me, not 'just' mum.

2) It has to work for us. Prior to starting a family my work was my priority, long days and plenty of travel was fine then. Now my family is my number one priority, if it doesn't work for them then it is my responsibility as a parent to make it work, or change it. I am now at the point where I want to make that change....

I have been fortunate over the past couple of years in that I have had the opportunity to dip my toe into the digital world and management of social media, helping friends and family out with small projects and pieces of work. I have developed a real interest in this area and believe I have a talent for it and that it really could be my professional future. If i won this it would really give me a kickstart into making that dream a reality and help me to make work work for my family.

HelenaGWells Wed 01-Feb-17 09:48:29

#Work That Works is important to me because:

My husband is disabled and I am a carer for him as well as a mother to 3 children. In this situation I simply can't just go out and get a job. My qualifications are in an area which is impractical due to the anti-social hours required. If I get a shop job or similar any earnings I had would be swallowed entirely by the childcare and other help I would need for my family. My family have to have priority but they shouldn't be a barrier to working.

I am needed at home but I also need to work and earn money. Life on disability benefit is difficult and I want more for my family. I also want to work for my own mental health and to set a good example to my children. I want them to grow up seeing that you can prioritise your family whilst still enjoying a successful career.

My field is related to media but is not in social media. Social media and marketing is an area that I have a lot of interest in but self teaching is very difficult as it's hard to know where to start. I would love to do a course designed to help me get a proper grasp on this area.

Helping people find #workthatworks is an amazing thing. I would relish the opportunity to be able to do this course that I would otherwise not be able to afford.

teddygirlonce Wed 01-Feb-17 11:36:08

#WorkThatWorks is important to me because having spent some time being self-employed working from home (working from home suits us as a family as DH works a four hour round-trip commute away), I would love to build on my skill-set in social media and marketing to make more money.

Plus I am currently very much experiencing life as part of the sandwich generation and whilst I need to earn money from something that is stimulating and lucrative, I do find that I need more flexibility than say ten years ago. My children are growing up BUT are at times in their lives (particularly education-wise) when they need support and for me to be around for them. I have elderly parents living close enough for me to be involved in their care. I would like to put myself in a position, financially and professionally, to move forward and realise my potential whilst also juggling family commitments and involvement with both younger and older generations.

It shouldn't be a lot to ask in the 21st Century as a woman but it still is sadly. So a course such as this (which I would not be able to afford without dipping into family savings) is a life-line and a very attractive option.

Teladi Wed 01-Feb-17 13:05:34

I work part-time already to try and balance mum life and work life. In theory it's great! I have a chronic illness that makes commuting tricky. I feel like I'm constantly rushing and under pressure! I was a high achiever as a young person and I want to find my chance to shine again.

MumFullofDreams Wed 01-Feb-17 13:58:44

I've been keen to do this course ever since I was made redundant while I was pregnant.

I'm pretty terrified about being able to get back into work, especially #workthatworks with my beautiful little boy, and I genuinely believe this course would be invaluable to me.

I've been writing a blog about my journey from losing my job to - hopefully - achieving my dream of being a writer! amumfullofdreams.wordpress.com/

I'm determined to do this course whatever it takes, but with being out of full time work for over 12 months having wiped out my savings - being chosen for this prize would be a 'dream come true'...

Oh look, how perfectly that fits with my blog 😉

MumFullofDreams Wed 01-Feb-17 14:02:13

I can't speak for everyone but, having followed Digital Mums for some time, I'm well aware of their fabulous campaign and it was actually the reason this thread caught my eye 🖒

BigGrannyPants Wed 01-Feb-17 15:59:22

I have a 6 year old son and in 2015 had twins. Because of the costs of nursery, I had no choice but to give up my job and become a stay at home mum. Recently I looked again at working but even putting the twins in to nursery one day a week was almost as much as the job paid, and there is after school care to consider for my older son on top of that. I gains qualifications through my previous job, some of which are industry specific, some are transferable. I volunteer for my sons school Parent Council. I am the Social Media Coordinator and currently run their Facebook page and Twitter Account. I would love to do this course. A home working position would be ideal as my husband doesn't have set hours and can be called out at any time, for hours, days, weeks at a time.

JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Feb-17 16:21:00

Fair point @Trills - we are going to edit the title now wink

saltydogandme Wed 01-Feb-17 18:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DigitalMums1 Wed 01-Feb-17 19:03:54

Thanks for all your amazing comments so far - we've loved reading why #WorkThatWorks is important to you! Remember you still have until Friday (3rd Feb, 23:59) to enter if you haven't done so already. Good luck!

GoNorthatthefirstleft Wed 01-Feb-17 19:10:32

#workthatworks is very important to me as a disabled working mum I want to be able to both spend time with my beautiful children but also feel as I've I'm being productive and useful to. I currently work opppsite shifts to my husband to save childcare but would love to study to try something different ,to be a role model for my children showing that you don't give up and hard work pays off.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 01-Feb-17 20:11:16

This time last year I had a great job which I enjoyed and was flexible to enjoy family life and my husband ran our B&B, since then its all gone a bit tits up. My Dad died so i now work for my mother and although I get paid it is less money and doesn't challenge me, and then last August DH was diagnosed with bowel cancer with secondaries already in the liver and is already at stage 4 so bye bye B&B and hello treatments and learning to live on benefits as we had to close our business. In the mean time I have started a small but successful local business and struggling to have the knowledge to get it out there on social media, i glean bits and pieces from friends but I know it isn't enough.

I am not the only one in this rural county that has small businesses that they are trying to promote to earn a living and have a family friendly lifestyle and if I was successful I would use the knowledge to promote the many fabulous talents in this part of Dorset.

I don't know how long DH is going to be with us, it could be months or years but I need to put things in place to earn the money to keep us afloat without having to rely on the government and this would go along way in helping.

The course looks great on the website and the comments are really positive.

Mbear Wed 01-Feb-17 23:01:29

I would love to do this course. I was made redundant last summer and it has really made me reassess what work means to me and my family. They love having me around more, but part time work in what was my field (high end retail) is thin on the ground. I'm articulate, smart and funny and I'm good at talking to people - and this would be an amazing opportunity for me and my family.

#WorkThatWorks

Felicitystar Thu 02-Feb-17 03:10:29

I first found out about Digital Mums when I went back to work after having my daughter. I've been really interested in doing the course to enhance my skills and get accreditation for what I do. The joy of being a part time self employed mum means money has been tight and I've never been able to get the full course fee together. I would love to win this to show #workthatworks

Rojak Thu 02-Feb-17 06:03:28

I'm another DigitalMums alumni - think there are a number of us here. I found out about the course here and it has been fantastic for me. Helped me upskill & get back to work smile

lizritchieuk Thu 02-Feb-17 07:50:25

I have a 15 month old and due my 2nd child in May this year.
I have previously been a Social media Manager for a global brand of mobile phone so posting technical support answers on the clients Facebook and Twitter pages and checking my teams responses in line with the client but have no understanding of the internal works of social media and the platforms.
I would love to not have to go back to work full time and be able to work around my 2 children to save money on childcare costs. #WorkThatWorks.

WannaBe Thu 02-Feb-17 08:19:20

I've been looking at the courses online after my submission on Monday and am really keen to do this one. The one question I would like to ask though is one re accessibility as I use a screen reader. As 85% of the working-aged VI population are unemployed I believe that, assuming accessibility is not an issue which can't be overcome, this course could actually present real opportunities to help many people with VI into or back into the workplace, even though I know your course is directed at mums atm (of which I am also one).

I have done a lot of social media in the past but all for my own purposes iyswim plus I am a keen blogger.

I am also extremely keen to get back to work #workthatworks

willknitforwine Thu 02-Feb-17 09:42:41

#workthatworks would allow me to make a success of my small business, contribute to household finances for the first time since my son was born and achieve that elusive work/life balance.

Working 2 days a week and cramming my admin onto evenings and weekends allows me to have my son at home with me the rest of the week, but I feel like I'm always working and always tired! #workthatworks would help me learn to work smarter, not harder.

MadamPatti Thu 02-Feb-17 10:28:03

#workthatworks

Still searching for the elusive work life balance.

Just because my kids are now in school doesn't mean I'm not needed at home. Even so called "family friendly" hours can still put a family unit under considerable stress. After a long career in production planning, including a recent part time contract, I am accepting that my original career choice is not conducive to a work life balance, and that I am in need of retraining. However, that still does not mean I am willing to accept a low paid job as an alternative, and I still have a functioning brain that is in requirement of stimulation.

I would love a place on this course. It is key to my future.

stillnotjustamummy Thu 02-Feb-17 11:04:45

#workthatworks is important because the current patriarchal industrial revolution culture can't be smashed while we force ourselves and families to fit their structures. By doing it, being the model, showing the flex of it we can make work culture better for all workers and the workers of tomorrow.

cecr2912 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:39:41

This is revolutionary. I am a mum of twins and I need to travel with my husband's job so formal, permanent work isn't practical or possible. However, coming from a creative business background, I just know that there are so many more mums, talented and ambitious, who have the time and head space and drive to work flexibly, from home and with social media platforms that they already use in everyday life. I think this is AN AMAZING concept and I so so want to be a part of this and bring this way of working to the next level. I see this as a gate way opportunity and would maximize its impact in every way. I believe I'm a keen administrator and I love to network, spot individual talent and introduce collaborative partners; this course would allow me to do that on a scale that would change my personal and professional life and those of so many mums like me who need that initial lift to move in a productive, progressive and exciting direction. Please! Pick me!! Thank you so much and best of luck with your incredible training xx

poiana Thu 02-Feb-17 12:05:54

I already know about the courses organised by Digital Mums since I have recently started to look around for flexible working...

I had a little girl one year ago and I have been lucky enough to go back to my job (as a postdoc at the university) part-time and working remotely, but my contract will end soon and I am trying to come up with a solution that would allow me to get an income but be present for my little one now that she needs me the most.

The usual fee for the course is just too steep for me at the moment, so winning the chance to take part would be just perfect!

JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 02-Feb-17 12:42:31

Reminder- You've got until 23:59 tomorrow (Friday) to enter! Lots of brilliantly inspiring entries so far smile Go ahead and leave your answers below if you haven't already- why is #workthatworks important to you?

Also, DigitalMums1 are on hand to answer any questions if you have any...

Over and out!

cookiefiend Thu 02-Feb-17 13:21:24

Winning a place on #workthatworks would be a dream come true. I have gone back to work part time since having my children and I know I am fortunate to have been able to, but working has restricted our family time which makes me sad.

Also after three years of toddler groups, feeding the ducks, collecting sticks and building forts- work seems impossibly dull! I have found my inner creative and am reluctant to let go!

I have recently started dipping my toe into social media and would love the skills to make a career from it.

Kapoww Thu 02-Feb-17 13:27:42

Hi Digital Mums!

I worked for many years as an Executive Assistant in a corporate environment and I loved it. I always intended to go back to work after children, I felt like I had it all planned out. Six years ago I had my first child and after he was born we discovered he had a disability. He has brought us so much joy, however with the additional needs it became more difficult to balance work and home life. I did go back to work full time but I constantly felt like I was not quite good enough, both as an employee and as a Mum! After my daughter was born in 2013, I made the decision not to go back to work.

I became a trustee for my local charity supporting families of children with the same disability. My key responsibilities are marketing, fundraising and Social Media. I love it, but I feel like I could be doing so much more if I had some training! I would love to build upon my self taught skills and really increase our SM presence, and make it successful for such a wonderful charity.

It's not all about charity though. I would love to be able to #dothehustle and find some paid work for myself! It's so important to me to be able to contribute financially to my family, and as my daughter is going to school in September I feel this is the perfect time.

I know that in order to become a freelance SM Manager it will take initiative and grit. In 2005 I moved from the Southern Hemisphere to the UK by myself, despite only knowing a couple of friends here. I stepped out of my comfort zone and it was scary and exciting and so worth it! I made it work and I am now settled here with my beautiful family. As the mother of a child with special needs I have found I am stronger and more determined than I ever knew. To ensure my son gets what he needs I work hard and I never give up. It's time to apply that strength and determination to my own goals and dreams.

I've been following Digital Mums for some time now, and I'm so excited about the advances you are making for #workthatworks. I also love how you have created a peer network. Motherhood can be isolating and so can returning to the workplace. I can't think of anything better than having a supportive network as I navigate this new path.

#workthatworks is not just important to me, it's a necessity!

Happymum123Z Thu 02-Feb-17 14:10:40

I'm sure many mums will relate to the post birth identity adjustment we all go through, the stress of a new child, wanting to still be superwoman (even though we don't realise we already are!!) and the bluriness of reality as we cater for the needs of our special new additions and also search for the new 'me'. This is the new 'me' which also still needs to fit into the demands of family life and all the different hats we wear on a daily basis. Phew! Being a mum is a gift, a blessing, an amazing experience... it's also a tough task but equally very rewarding. It's great that some of us on our unique journeys are able to find the new 'me', some of us on the other hand find it a little more challenging and just need a gentle helping hand in the right direction.

I took a break from a career within an office role after giving birth to my first son 5 years ago. I wanted to spend more time with my son and my new little family. It was one of the most special times of my life.
What I found was that there was however something missing. It was the independence of 'me' doing something for 'me' making my brain work again for 'me'. It's the 'me' that was bursting out of the seams to find independence outside of being 'mum' and a 'wife'. When my son became 3 years old, I finally found a part time office role in the hope to fill that void but still enjoy that special time with my family. Initially the role was a great outlet for me to get back into the outside world, meet different people and try and continue from where I had left off from in my career. Also with my parents being able to support me with childcare, it was a win-win, but after 6 months they were unable to continue with the support for all the days I was working and to be fair, I had always wished that childcare was easier to obtain through the work place. ( this is a different topic which I am very passionate about; work life balance through onsite crèches in the workplace. These companies are like gold dust for a working mum and there needs to be far more of them!) Dropping my son to my childminders and hopping on trains and buses, having to explain my son was ill and not being able to work from home as much as I would have liked to challenging. The whole process was expensive, tiring. I was exhausted, my son was missing me greatly, I was missing spending quality time with him and my husband. I actually realised I didn't enjoy what was happening anymore.
Since 2015 I have been a SAHM again, helping my husband with the admin side of his business and spending time with my son and I have recently had another baby earlier this year. I have been yearning for the independence to be successful as 'me'. Not just for my family but because I owe it to myself. This is why #WorkThatWorks is so important to me on an individual basis but also fundamentally for my family too. I believe a happy and successful 'me' as well as helping my family would be a massive achievement. It will help support me to overcome the challenges that come with relentlessly looking for that ideal space which I can own as my own. I have recently started up a domain in anticipation for a blog which I am finding very daunting to begin as I don't have the social media skills or experience but am full of ideas and bursting to share my thoughts and experiences on motherhood and new interests which have transpired. I would love to be able to complete the course successfully so that I can be fully equipped to start my journey as an avid writer which will form my blog so that I can reach out to others and inspire. I want to be part of a happy story where I have finally found work that has worked for me. My aim is to be able to look back one day and say to my kids and close ones that I did it for 'me' and 'us'. Thanks

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 02-Feb-17 14:16:25

I do have a question, I have looked on your website and the FAQ's But couldn't find the answer, can Digitalmums give a break down of the hours, such as are their set times during the day which are better, how many are face to face and how many are work done by yourself.

Thank you

Bernie16 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:04:38

#WorkThatWorks would be life changing for our family. Having been made redundant from a media relations role a year ago (a role I was in for 19 years), I thought that finding another role that would fit with my current life-stage would be far easier - what a shock I got! Having been in my previous role for so long, I have to confess I was very naive about finding work again. I have good experience and qualifications, but it means very little at my age (44) and finding a decent job that fits in between school hours is extremely difficult.
Having had a year to reflect, I have just set myself up as a self employed freelance writer and marketing professional, so having the added bonus of a social media qualification to add to my skill set would be invaluable. I have only just started out so I have not yet found work and have the time to dedicate to a fab course such as this. Despite seeing other mums friends, I am finding being a SAHM very isolating and miss the camaraderie you get working as part of a team. My old team mostly worked and met remotely but we were still very close, and I miss the shared work experience terribly.
Another issue I have to consider as part of my work search and a reason why I am so keen to embark on a course such as Digital Mums, is that I am a parent carer to my youngest son who was recently diagnosed with autism. Neither my husband or I have any experience of autism in our families and our oldest son isn't autistic, so this was a hugely unexpected bombshell when we first found out. The implications of having a disabled child are pretty huge. There aren't after school clubs locally that can care for him as they don't have that kind of provision, so this affects my availability for work - I simply have to work within school hours at this stage. I am hoping that as he gets older, his skills and communication will improve and enable him to attend more out of school groups independently but at this stage no one really knows what the future holds as he is largely non-verbal. We have never had family support like so many of our friends, which means my husband and I have been the sole care givers to both our kids since they were born. I have always been so incredibly envious of my friends who have grandparent or sibling support.
Winning the opportunity to start the Digital Mums course would be such an amazing and positive experience for our family, at a time when life seems incredibly hard and there are a lot of negatives. The chance to be part of a not only a course, but a movement that helps people like me continue to in a role that I've invested so much blood, sweat and tears in training and working for is incredibly special. Thanks for the opportunity. :-)

Annamaria0 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:20:37

My son has special needs, which makes finding childcare even more difficult and costly than usual. My husband has a demanding full time job and we don't have family living near us. It means I can only really work school hours and term-time, and there are so few businesses that are flexible enough to accommodate it. I am able to volunteer, though, and I have found it very rewarding. I would love to be able to develop social media management skills and find a paid, flexible position within the charity/NGO sector. In an increasingly crowded online space, these organisations have to be really savvy about their online presence and fund-raising. Many smaller charities don't have big marketing budgets, but clever use of social media doesn't cost much and can really help them get their messages across.

Confuzzlediddled Thu 02-Feb-17 15:39:42

I left my job though a settlement agreement in December, it's been an eye opener how much my children have enjoyed having me around even though they are 14 now.

I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis in 2013 and fibromyalgia in 2016 and as a result I've gone from leading a normal life to being disabled and in constant pain. #workthatworks would allow me to work round my illness and not have to go out in the cold on a bad day, at the moment even my weekly trips to the jobcentre are a challenge if I can't get parked close by, takes me a couple of days to recover! The hardest part of becoming physically disabled is the prejudice ive faced. I had to achieve more than my peers in my last job just to be treated as an equal because of course if my legs and hands don't work very well obviously I must be just a little bit thick of course, even the assessment for disability benefits included questions on such difficult subjects as if I had a pound and spent 97p how much money would I have left!!

I would love the chance to prove to the world I can be normal and achieve things so in a nutshell please please pick me you would genuinely change my life, in fact you would be giving me a life...

WellIGuessThisIsGrowingUp Thu 02-Feb-17 16:09:49

Why is #WorkThatWorks important? I'm a mum of 2, when my youngest started school I thought it would be the perfect time to go and retrain. I went back to Uni, completed my PGCE and worked as a teacher. My first (and final!) year of teaching was completely exhausting; early starts, late finishes, evening and weekend working... And a significant amount of time spent in school during the holidays. It was an awful year, I missed my children and partner so much and I was so unhappy.

I left my job in August and since then am looking for the right position which will work around my family. #WorkThatWorks will make sure you have a great work/life balance, ensures you have enough time with the people in your life who matter and gives you the satisfaction of building your own career while still enjoying time with your family. Its vital to good mental health, happiness and wellbeing, and increases staff retention.

I would love to have the opportunity to train as a Digital Mum and truely find #WorkThstWorks

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:32:25

FiveGoMadInDorset

I do have a question, I have looked on your website and the FAQ's But couldn't find the answer, can Digitalmums give a break down of the hours, such as are their set times during the day which are better, how many are face to face and how many are work done by yourself.

Thank you

You need to be able to commit 15 hours a week to the Course but the majority of the training materials you work through whenever best suits you. It is 100% online and there are weekly video calls with your peers which you arrange at mutually convenient times. We designed the course to be as flexible as possible to fit around a mums busy schedule!

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:28:43

WannaBe

I've been looking at the courses online after my submission on Monday and am really keen to do this one. The one question I would like to ask though is one re accessibility as I use a screen reader. As 85% of the working-aged VI population are unemployed I believe that, assuming accessibility is not an issue which can't be overcome, this course could actually present real opportunities to help many people with VI into or back into the workplace, even though I know your course is directed at mums atm (of which I am also one).

I have done a lot of social media in the past but all for my own purposes iyswim plus I am a keen blogger.

I am also extremely keen to get back to work #workthatworks

Thanks so much for your interest in our training and for your feedback on the visually impaired - that's really useful to know. At the moment our training isn't optimised for the visually impaired but it's definitely on our list for this year and we are about to start scoping out what this would involve. If you want to pass on your email to us via Mumsnet, we will be in touch when we know more.

WannaBe Thu 02-Feb-17 17:47:30

I find your response incredibly disappointing as yet again accessibility is considered an afterthought.

It's little wonder that so many people with visual impairments (and I am a mum to FWIW) are out of work when companies just aren't interested in even considering accessibility to be an issue until "some point this year,"?

I'm guessing therefore, considering you've admitted publically that your course isn't accessible that my entry will have been eliminated based on the fact that I have declared my VI as part of the entry...

Had I not won I was seriously considering signing up to the course anyway. Looks like you've lost a potential customer then.

TopBitchoftheWitches Thu 02-Feb-17 18:00:41

#workthatworks = time as a single parent family whilst earning as well.

Tigerlily13 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:17:09

Having had 3 children in 3.5 years, my youngest now being almost 2, I feel I've been out of work so long I'd struggle to get back in! However I would love to do something to take some of the burden off my husband who works crazy hours to support us. This course would be ideal and I'd hope it would give me more opportunities afterwards so he can step back a little and I can contribute while still spending time with my small people!

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 19:19:36

Hello @WannaBe. It's Kathryn Tyler, co-founder of Digital Mums here. We have just hired an experienced Head of Learning to investigate and implement accessibility measures across our training but, as she only started last week, we aren't in a position to commit to a date just yet as she needs to scope out exactly what we need to do. As a small start-up we just weren't in a position to hire someone of her level before. Would you be interested in talking to her about your experience of online courses and what has worked in the past and what hasn't? At Digital Mums all new products and updates are co-designed with our students and if you would be interested in speaking with us, we'll get in touch. Many thanks in advance.

FiveGoMadInDorset Thu 02-Feb-17 19:31:56

Out of curiosity, how many do you have on a course, I think it's 7? And have any found the workload to much and dropped out?

DigitalMums1 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:26:34

@FiveGoMadInDorset peer groups are in groups of 7 and we currently take 84 students a month - 95% of our students have completed our training successfully and 4 out of 5 have found work, which they attribute to Digital Mums

Stickytoffeepuds Thu 02-Feb-17 20:34:33

What a great competition; something practical and relevant, that can really make a difference to mums that want to work and their families.

I returned to work after my second mat leave in the first week of January this year, I was made redundant in the second week (welcome back!). It's a good time to re-evaluate options as flexible working is a priority and I'd like to set up my own marketing consultancy. The one area that I need training in is social media management, both to develop my own business and offer it as a service to clients.

This could be my silver lining!

emloudubbs1982 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:14:16

Why is #WorkthatWorks important to me ?
Well... I am a 34 year old mother of four .
My first born is a 13 year old who has asperges and needs my consistancy at home .
I have two primary aged children who have enjoyed having me around more recently as I have been on maternity leave from a job that was demanding with long hours.

I am unable to return to my previous position as it would be costly for my husband and I to engage childcare as he is a swlf emplyed construction worker, money is tight.

I also feel I have something different to offer the working world now but no doubt I need some tweaking !

I was recently offered a job doing social media work for a friends buisness but I declined as didn't feel confident enough.

To complete a course like this I feel would be life changing for me and enable me to actualy take up an opportunity like the one I have recently turned down.

I have researched lots of courses but the cost is very difficult to meet when surviving on a low income.

Snowmouse24 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:46:00

My husband works away 6 days at a time and really feels the burden of being the sole earner in our family. I'd love to be able to contribute but since having children, I haven't been able to return to work. Previously I had a senior management job in a large company. I earned a good salary but it still barely covered the cost of commuting and childcare for one child, let alone 2. Returning to working long hours in an inflexible environment just made now sence. I've been a SAHM for over 5 years now. We live in a semi-rural area and job opportunities are limited, particularly when any childcare costs are factored in. I'm also finding that as time goes on, my confidence outside my home is dwindling - that person who chaired meetings in the board room seems to have disappeared. I love being with my children and don't want to miss them growing up but I'd love to find a way back into employment, a way to rebuild that confidence and a way to contribute to our income to make our family more secure and to take pressure off my husband. That's why #WorkThatWorks is important to me and why I'd love to win this course.

petra81 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:03:22

#WorkThatWorks the best prize ever. I would love to win.

eeroberts1 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:16:42

I’m really nervous about posting this publicly because I’ve not admitted my challenges to many people blush But I feel inspired by mummy-bloggers on social media to spread the word and demystify mental health challenges after having a baby. So here it goes. Postnatal anxiety (PNA) isn’t as well documented postnatal depression – but I can assure you, it exists! It came as a massive shock to me, after the birth of my second daughter. Returning to work a year later only added fuel to the fire and my PNA spiralled out of control. My workplace thought that letting me work 3 days a week (rather than 5) was “flexible”. However, I was often pressurised into travelling into work on my days “off” (we all know that days out of the office are not “days off” with kids!). I am a brilliant multi-tasker but sadly I am not a superhero and cannot split myself into 2 – I’ve tried and it wasn’t not pretty! This inability to be a superhero meant my anxiety levels were through the roof and I was forced to quit for the sake of my mental health. But guess what, just because I had PNA does not mean I have lost my skills – I am creative, motivated, resourceful and willing to learn. I still want (and need) to contribute financially to our household. I have now dealt (and to some extent, still dealing) with the anxiety and feel more than ready to work. Only this time around, I want some control over what “flexible” looks like. To me, #WorkThatWorks is about working damned hard, but not necessarily the hours of 9am-5pm. Our family have made massive sacrifices since I stopped work and just this week I was with the bank manager discussing overdrafts sad . My family needs #WorkThatWorks – I want to pay for my girls to go football practice and I want to be there to take them football

Also, I LOVE social media and I think I’m pretty good at it – I’ve lots to learn about how to maximise the impact of social media for businesses and this is why the course would be fab. I’ve been looking at doing the Digital Mums course for a while but household finances have made it tricky. I would also love to contribute to peer learning and peer support - this is a real pull for me to join the Digital Mums programmes - #sistahood.

Thank you #DigitalMums for “getting it” and flying the flag for parents who want to work hard to support their wonderful families.

clementineclouds Fri 03-Feb-17 15:03:07

#WorkThatWorks will simply allow me to create a life that works for me and works for my family. This will help my physical and mental health as I juggle everything life throws at me and ensure I work smarter.

Shomama Fri 03-Feb-17 15:05:11

I would love to win this competition. I've looked into Digital mums and think what they are doing is wonderful.

As a media professional with 10 years experience in communications and journalism and currently on a career break, it would be a dream come true. I have 2 small children both with health issues so often I need to go for appointments or care for them from home. So a 9 to 5 job would be almost impossible.

I want to get back to work and this is the perfect first step to relaunch my career. I would like to lead a more balanced life while using my skills and experience. I miss working and collaborating with people to come up with new ideas to solve different challenges that work presents. Getting help and reskilling is a key part of that transition as well as getting coaching and training to make sure my skills meet current market demands. If I am given a place on the programme, I would maximise my potential.

I have solid experience of working in journalism like when I worked at BBC and CNBC. I have many transferable skills which would be applicable to my future work.

I truly believe working from home or from anywhere at anytime would be ideal for me. For me that's #WorkthatWorks. My children need me to be around and I also know I want to work and use my skills. Like many mums who stay at home I need a confidence boost. Fingers crossed.

I'm posting this from the car as my child is sleeping so had to do this really quickly.

clickclickclick Fri 03-Feb-17 16:05:58

What a great competition!

I would love to win and I can commit to the hours needed. I've recently just finished a photography course and dh was great at coming home, minding the kids while I ate my dinner quietly so they couldn't tell I was eating in front of a webinar grin

#workthatworks is important to me because I have experienced two sides of #workthatdoesn'twork scale. I've been so overworked and sleep deprived with so much on my plate that I almost cracked up. I still feel guilty for all the time I missed out with my toddler back then. And I've also found myself unexpectedly made redundant and it took a while before I could find another job. I had too much time on my hands and my brain, motivation and "me" felt like it was slowly turning to stone. I truly appreciate what it means to have a good work-life balance and having this is one of my biggest priorities in life.

I have about 4000 twitter followers, quite by accident. I don't run a business from my account or anything. I have also started a fundraising campaign on social media and raised more than £50k and I also organised (with help) a live event with a few household names from my twitter contacts.

My youngest will be going to school fairly soon and I really want to work for myself in a flexible way that means I can enjoy my family, my free time and my work.

doublebubble16 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:20:19

#workthatworks is important to me because work that works shouldn't just be for perks!

DigitalMums1 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:43:51

Happy Friday everyone! Thanks for all your amazing entries, we're totally blown away by them and we really wish you could all win! Just a few more hours to enter so please comment below to be in with a chance of winning a place on our Social Media Management Course and finding work that really does work around family life! #WorkThatWorks

MrsAFlorrick Fri 03-Feb-17 18:50:25

#WorkThatWorks
What an amazing program just what I have been searching for. #PickMe

MissMrsMsXX Fri 03-Feb-17 19:21:22

I'm crossing everything.

EllaBelle20032016 Fri 03-Feb-17 20:34:56

#WorkThatWorks is important to me because I am on the cusp of handing in my notice for my job as a Service Manager as it no longer fits my family commitments, as many women are finding on this thread. Working is part of my identity and I know I am more then just a mum and a wife. It's taken a long road to get to having my second daughter after several miscarriages and I'm loving being a mum again, however, I also want my career to still be a part of my life to create that happy balance between work and home life, which makes finding #WorkThatWorks so important to me.

Your founder states what makes a good social media manager - which is someone who’s level headed, someone who’s a good communicator and someone who’s calm in a crisis. I am all of this but I can also bring a sense of humour, creativeness and versatility.

This post came at the right time for me as I was recently considering this as a career path as I can navigate pretty confidently around various social media accounts, and I have also recently started a blog on interior design on Instagram too called #interiorsmuging. Hopefully this is a sign 🙏🏻 I am really keen to further my knowledge on social media and have heard great things about #digitalmums I am also not afraid of the commitment it brings, when my eldest daughter was 8 and I was a single parent I did my degree in Business Management while working full time and going to lectures in the evening.

Hopefully you've heard enough from me to feel I would be a good choice to represent the #digitalmumsmassive

#fingersandtoescrossed

Anj123 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:17:20

When my daughter was a baby, both my husband and I started working part-time as we don't have any family nearby to help with childcare. Flexibility with our jobs has been and still is vital. We couldn't manage if our employers weren't so cooperative. #WorkThatWorks is therefore very important to us and social media is a big part of life these days. I love using social media and would love to learn more about it! Thanks for the chance.

truetops Fri 03-Feb-17 22:52:43

#Workthatworks

I have been searching for sometime,
For that dream job of mine,
Looking for my one passion to spark a new career,
I am not afraid of working hard,
In fact grafter is what I'm striving for,
And job satisfaction
but not at the sacrifice of family interaction.

Trapped in a dead end role so as not to miss the school run,
Needless to say my Self esteem is at rock bottom.
How did it I get here when I had so much ambition?
Why should i suffer for being a great mother?

But what is this #workthatworks with innovative inspiration?
Providing mums with the training to build their own creation,
Hundreds of happy homes growing out of the social media revolution,
This could be just the answer to my struggling vocation.

IWishMyArseWouldBrexit Fri 03-Feb-17 22:53:00

#workthatworks is important to me as I need to be around for my SEN child as childcare for SEN children is so expensive, plus he needs consistency and a parent who knows his routines and triggers. We juggle my dh working full time and me at home doing virtual admin, but also working nights out of the house. We really need me to drop the nights and weekends and I would love training from digitalmums to take my small admin business to the next level.

I believe that people of my age are "digital immigrants" working and competing against the "digital natives" of the younger generation. We need to upskill as much as possible to keep up and keep ahead in a world of ever evolving technology. I need the help of #workthatworks to help me do this by building my business and earn the income that can support the needs of my family.

BrieAndChilli Fri 03-Feb-17 22:58:33

Childcare for 3 just doesn't make a normal job worth it, a job that fits around the kids yet starts me off in a career that I can expand on is worth it's wait in gold, id never be able to afford £180 for the course let alone £1800 as there is always something else more important that our money needs to be spent on!!

MrsKwazii Fri 03-Feb-17 23:08:29

#WorkThatWorks is important because I want to develop my career to fit around my family and my life - not the other way round.

I've been jobsharing since having my first child. It's been wonderful in many ways but it's proving hard to move onwards and upwards to the next challenge, the next role, when I want to continue working flexibly.

The majority of advertised jobs are for full time posts. I’ve contacted companies who have flat out told me that they will not consider part time or jobshare applicants. It’s disheartening how many employers are stuck in the five days a week rut. There is so much talent, experience and drive going to waste because of it.

Working in a linked industry, my skills would be a good fit for the Digital Mums course. From the outline, it sounds incredibly hard work, but there's nothing like practical on the job training to really get the hang of something. I want to develop those skills and move on to the next stage of my working life.

I've been following some Digital Mums on Twitter and love their honesty about what you need to put in, but can also feel their optimism and excitement about what they're getting back from it. I want to join them.

confuugled1 Fri 03-Feb-17 23:52:24

There are so many reasons that I'd love to do this course and experience for myself #WorkThatWorks that it's difficult to know where to begin.

Like so many others I ended up not being able to carry on in my career after ds1 was born as it just proved impossible to juggle work, childcare and life. Moving out of London and the arrival of ds2 made things so much better for an enjoyable life - apart from the gaping hole left by not being able to work again. I missed the cameraderie, the challenges, the satisfaction of doing a good job well - but there just wasn't a viable way to combine work and motherhood that worked for our family.

Seeing this competition, reading about Digital Mums and discovering the opportunities provided by the Social Media Management Course and #WorkThatWorks all sounds like an amazing dream come true. As a former User Experience consultant I have skills that I believe would dovetail very well with Social Media Management and thus would enable me to provide an exceptional service to clients.

Having the chance to learn new skills and develop them alongside a team of specialists as well as a cohort of beginners doing the course together sounds an inspirational way to learn as well as to build a support network. I would relish the challenges brought forward by the course and love the chance to spend 15 hours a week getting to really know and understand the subject in depth.

To come out of the course with skills that are in demand is the icing on the cake - a incredible opportunity to really discover #WorkThatWorks and experience the benefits for myself and my family. Being able to contribute to the family as a working mum would help me as an individual to become more than just a mum, to rediscover my self and my passions, as well providing an excellent example to my dc, balancing life and work and loving it all.

ChopperHopper Fri 03-Feb-17 23:58:35

It is approaching midnight and the cutoff point for this fantastic, once in a lifetime chance. I have been dreaming about this chance for myself in ages but haven't had the guts to enter so far, but it has been nagging and nagging away at me constantly. So here I am!

I was made redundant 7 years and 10 months ago whilst pregnant with my first child. At that time we lived in Ireland and were going through a terrible recession. I tried endlessly but could find no work - I considered and applied for everything and anything. My little boy arrived and was soon followed 15 months later by my second little boy as a wonderful surprise. By that time the recession in Ireland was so bad that my husband had to close down his business and we lost everything so decided the only way was up and to get ourselves out of that situation. When my second son was six weeks old my husband found a new job in the UK and went to work there. With a tiny baby and toddler I managed our move over to the UK on my own and we upped and left with only the clothes and furniture that we owned and started our lives from scratch leaving our entire family behind in Ireland. I spent my savings on that move so have nothing left to invest in myself and so now we have got ourselves going but we are still going round in circles trying to save money for the most important things in life.

For the past 7 years and 3 months I have stayed at home and dedicated myself to my children, mostly because I feel that is what was right for them, but also because we couldn't afford childcare! Now I want to buy a home for my boys instead of being answerable to landlords and estate agents and show them what hard work brings, setting them the example that women can do anything they can set their minds to. I also want to use my brain and get working again, I don't enjoy feeling that I don't have that working input in our family life.

I'm not going to lie, at times my confidence is low, but I'm steely and determined, I think I have shown a certain bravery and, by God, I work hard and give everything my very best. I'm very proficient at social media and can turn my hand to most things. I speak foreign languages (German, French and Japanese) and my previous background is working in the financial markets. My husband is a Graphic Designer (a fantastic one at that!) and so I'm not short of skills in one way or another - I just need to put them together and use them and rediscover who I am outside of being "Mummy"! Of course the most important thing about this is that I can fit my work in around the boys too - the whole essence of what Digital Mums is all about.

I have requested the course information from you previously and found what you offer the most wonderful and exciting opportunity. Unfortunately I just don't have the £1800 to invest in it even though I have secretly been coming up with plans of how I could find it. It's such a long shot to enter this competition so I've already decided to find night time work by cleaning to save up to be able to afford it if this doesn't work!

So that's why #WorkThatWorks matters to me. Thank you for the opportunity to enter this wonderful competition.

Mummykempy Fri 03-Feb-17 23:59:50

Yes please! I have been inspired by all the #workthatworks stories on the website and have been considering this for some time. It has just been the cost holding me back...I am saving up. But this competition may give me that opportunity. I am committed, inspired and excited to find work that fits around my three children and a husband who works away. Please make this dream a reality. Thank you!

JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 04-Feb-17 00:05:29

This #Workthatworks Digital Mums competition thread is now closed! Thanks for all of your fantastic entries. It's going to be a really tough decision.

Bernie16 Wed 08-Feb-17 13:32:04

Hi. Will you be announcing the winners in this page? Thx.

JennelynMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Feb-17 13:45:44

Hi Bernie,

DigitalMums1 will indeed be making an announcement today.

It has been a very tough decision and the DM's Admissions team have also been looped in to ensure eligibility for the course.

Over to you DigitalMums1... Drumrolls...

Bernie16 Wed 08-Feb-17 13:58:51

Thanks so much for letting me know. smilegrin

DigitalMums1 Wed 08-Feb-17 16:11:44

Hi everyone!

A heartfelt HUGE thank you to all of you for your fantastic and really thought out entries to our #WorkThatWorks competition. We massively appreciate you taking the time to share your stories with us.

It really was an incredibly hard decision to pick our two winners, but we are SO pleased to announce that the lovely ladies joining our army of Digital Mums are @Kapoww and @AhCheeses. We can't wait to have you join us!

We were so blown away by the fantastic entries to our competition and the number of you who really want the gift of #WorkThatWorks though, that we wanted every entry to win!

Our BIG vision at Digital Mums is to support every mum to achieve their perfect work-life balance. So we're giving everyone who entered our competition £100 off our Social Media Management Course fees to help more of you find #WorkThatWorks in 2017.

To get your discount, simply send a copy of your competition entry to me at nina@digitalmums.org with "#WorkThatWorks discount" in the subject line by next Wednesday (15th February) and I'll follow up with next steps.

MrsKwazii Wed 08-Feb-17 23:30:31

Congrats to the winners - hope the course goes brilliantly for you 👍

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »