Talk

Advanced search

Kit Kat rip off

(45 Posts)
talkhouse Fri 29-Jul-11 08:54:55

Whatever you do, don't get sucked in to the current Kit Kat competition inviting you to buy a bar in the hope you will win £10,000. It stinks. My six-year-old son has bought several bars in the hope of winning the cash prize with his pocket money (even though I have tried to persuade him not to!). You are told to key in a code on the kit kat website - and they do, of course, ask for your email - and then what a surprise, after you have inserted the code, you are told you haven't on this occasion won £10,000. It encourages you to then buy another bar. My son has been in sobs of tears over it because he truly believes (like any child would) he can win.

It is a disgusting marketing ploy to not only encourage children to eat more chocolate but to also convince them they really will win a lot of money.

TOTAL TOTAL rip off.

Littlefish Fri 29-Jul-11 08:59:32

It doesn't sound any different from any other competition. How old is your child?

TheGrumpalo Fri 29-Jul-11 09:00:26

Sounds like any other competition to me, it's only a rip off imo if there is no prize. Would you still find it a rip off if he won?
Do you play the lottery and expect to win every time?

talkhouse Fri 29-Jul-11 09:02:28

Of course it is like any other competition and of course I know we won't win - but try telling an excited six-year-old child this. I just thought I'd post a note to warn other parents beware of tears if you do decide to enter!!!

QueenOfFeckingEverything Fri 29-Jul-11 09:02:33

That's normal for competitions on junk food! They run them for precisely this reason - you didn't think it was out of actual kindness did you?

Never mind 'persuading him not to' keep buying them, just bloody tell him. Talk to him about advertising and how its all a big con.

5inthebed Fri 29-Jul-11 09:04:25

More fool you for letting him I say.

My Ds1 would cal all the competition son the TV if I et him, but I ont as I know the chances to win are next to nothing.

Lady1nTheRadiator Fri 29-Jul-11 09:05:19

Sorry, what exactly are you warning us about?

grumpypants Fri 29-Jul-11 09:06:11

I am really confused by your surprise. There must have been some participation on your part - taking him to the shop, logging on to the PC - are you sure it's not you who is totally distraught at not winning ten grand?

lawnimp Fri 29-Jul-11 09:07:48

did he find a kitkat with a red inside?

lawnimp Fri 29-Jul-11 09:10:00

some right miseries on this thread!

5inthebed Fri 29-Jul-11 09:17:18

hmm Miseries? Op is letting her son buy loads of Kit Kats and not winning. How is that being miserable? The chances of winning out of millions of kit kats are very slim.

PamSco Fri 29-Jul-11 09:17:38

teach him the basics of probability

Chandon Fri 29-Jul-11 09:21:04

My 6 year old was very excited about the prospect too.

He soon figured it all out though, same way he figured out lots of commercials are full of lies.

It's a sad life lesson to learn, but there you go.

ChaosTrulyReigns Fri 29-Jul-11 09:23:01

Seriously?

Thanks for the warning smile, but I think most of us consider the odds before getting emotionally invested (or allowing DC to become excited).

You need to distract him from this, and work on strategies that will teach him to spend his pocket money in a more productive manner.

Winning a competition is a pleasant byproduct of buying a product, not the raison d'etre of purchasing the item.

nenevomito Fri 29-Jul-11 09:24:10

Why not try try telling him he can't buy the chocolate, not letting him log in and not helping him to get to the website and putting in the details.

As an adult you know perfectly well that he's not going to win the 10k, so why is it the company's fault that you didn't explain it to your child?

lawnimp Fri 29-Jul-11 09:36:58

well the ad shows that if you find the red kitkat you win - so if the op;s son found it and then didn't it sounds quite cruel

CaptainNancy Fri 29-Jul-11 09:40:54

Competitions are all aimed at getting you to spend more money- that's why they run them confused

chocolatchaud Fri 29-Jul-11 09:41:16

My 9yo wants to enter the GMTV competition every morning as he is convinced he is going to win it, because he knows the answer to the question. I have explained many times that he has got a tiny chance of winning.

Isn't it your job to warn him that he is NOT going to win £10,000?

PatriciaHolm Fri 29-Jul-11 09:43:00

I'd be a bit worried about a child who reacted that badly to something like this, tbh. Is he normally this highly strung? It's no different to any other of thousands of competitions out there, I can't see how anyone needs warning against it.

BalloonSlayer Fri 29-Jul-11 09:46:35

My DCs - like chocolatchaud's - are convinced they will win the ITV competitions and want to enter every one.

OP, what I do is this:

I don't let them. And I explain why. (eg it costs £1 to call and the £10,000 prize is obtained by 10,000 people phoning in)

purplepidjin Fri 29-Jul-11 09:47:11

Read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" with him and explain about all the millions of other children who weren't Charlie...

When i was six I truly believed that if I wore a skirt and drank cherry coke I'd fly. Funnily enough, my mum debunked the theory pdq - but there a purchase of cherry coke involved in the debunking...

violetwellies Fri 29-Jul-11 09:49:38

Kit Kat - Nestle - you shouldn't let a child any where near it.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 29-Jul-11 09:49:47

Op you really need to get mnhq to change your thread title before they delete it for you.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 29-Jul-11 09:51:37

Btw the t&cs clearly state you have to be over 18 to enter so he wouldn't be able to claim it anyway.

LawrieMarlow Fri 29-Jul-11 09:52:04

A 6 year old isn't going to go out and buy a kitkat on his own. You need to have given him the money and gone with him to the shop. And you can tell him that no, he isn't buying one.

It isn't a rip off. It's just a way for KitKat to make money. Which is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now