Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Help! Large shoes for a 1yr old needed urgently!

(15 Posts)
salt101 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:51:44

Hello all, hope you can help me with this one
My son is quite tall for his age (off the scale, actually!) and has enormous feet! He has just turned 1yr and last month, his foot measurement was a 5.5G.

The problem is, he isn't walking yet. He's taken a few steps, and is cruising so I really need a prewalker for him. I don't want rubber bottoms yet. He's tried them on and trips over.

Do any of you know a shoe company that sells prewalkers for big feet? I've tried clarkes, trotters and Russell and Bromley- no luck.

At the moment we use Bobux XL although these are soft sole and now too small! I could get a bigger size, but I really want something more supportive then a leather soft sole shoe.

Thank you for any advice!!!
x

CarGirl Thu 05-Nov-09 19:53:32

They don't need support at this stage, bare feet really is best! I'd go for slipper socks if warmth becomes an issue.

thisisyesterday Thu 05-Nov-09 19:54:10

5.5 isn't that big for a one year old, but you're right it's virtually impossible to get pre-walkers if you don't want a rubber bottom on them
anyway, he doesn't really need them tbh unless he's going to be walking outside?
he also doesn't need anything supportive, you want the foot to develop as naturally as possible and that means not trying to support it artificially.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 05-Nov-09 19:56:16

I agree that 5.5 isn't that big for a one year old - DS's shoes were size 5 at about 14 months and he isn't enormous.

If he is inside then he doesn't need shoes yet. And if he is outside then I presume he isn't cruising much.

salt101 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:56:52

Thanks for that. I suppose I can't really take him outside to walk, which is a shame.

I would love to see him in a pre walker, though. I think it might help him to come on with his walking. He gets cold feet so I constantly have to have him in socks.

Where does one get slipper socks from? I've not seen them.

whomovedmychocolatecookie Thu 05-Nov-09 19:58:35

Have you tried Next - they sell fabric shoes which are quite big. DS is (umm a six now - he's 15 months) and his still fit him from there.

Amapoleon Thu 05-Nov-09 20:00:12

I second Next.

chuckeyegg Thu 05-Nov-09 20:01:36

I had a similar problem, to be honest I didn't bother with cruising shoes as clarkes didn't have any. I just bought a pair of rubber soled slipper socks to keep his feet warm and give him some grip. I got them fom Jojo maman bebe only £8 and seemed to work.

here

chuckeyegg Thu 05-Nov-09 20:01:37

I had a similar problem, to be honest I didn't bother with cruising shoes as clarkes didn't have any. I just bought a pair of rubber soled slipper socks to keep his feet warm and give him some grip. I got them fom Jojo maman bebe only £8 and seemed to work.

here

PCPlumIsMyHomeboy Thu 05-Nov-09 20:02:47

Personally, I would wait until he's been walking for at least 4 weeks before buying shoes, but if you can't help yourself, these are pretty good:

www.pediped.com/home/home.aspx

I got them for DD once she was walking, and they are great-soft soled, just like baby shoes.

Have a look at the US website for info about sizing, the soles etc, but plenty of places in the UK sell them, including John Lewis.

herbietea Thu 05-Nov-09 20:05:01

Message withdrawn

Adair Thu 05-Nov-09 20:20:28

I put ds and dd in Star Child/Robeez type soft leather ones before walking (they do them in 12-18mths which should fit). They do get trashed of course but hey (second-hand on ebay?). Have only bought shoes after they were walking for about 3 or 4 weeks.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 05-Nov-09 20:41:14

Lovely moccasin socks here.

CaptainNancy Thu 05-Nov-09 21:06:45

Boots have loads of different slipper socks atm.

salt101 Fri 06-Nov-09 08:19:44

Thank you all for your advice. I'll check out Next, and definitely gets some slipper socks. I love those moccasins!
Shoes will wait until he's walking, I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now