Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Shoes for a just walker - does good quality always cost £££;£?

(3 Posts)
cleanandclothed Sat 24-Oct-09 17:19:43

DS is just starting to walk. He doesn't wear shoes at the moment and I will put it off as long as I can but especially with winter coming I think this is only a matter of weeks. However even when he does need shoes I estimate he will only wear them for about 45 minutes per day.

I have no idea where to start. I have bought all his clothes so far from ebay so I haven't even been to a childrens clothes/shoe shop.

I presume however 2nd hand shoes are not good for his feet. So what should I look out for/where should I go (I live in London). I don't want to spend ages over it because I don't think he will find shoe shopping fun, but I don't want to go to a mega expensive shop and end up spending much more than I should, because I imagine they wont last long. So -

How much is reasonable to pay?
How long should they last?
Any recommendations?
Are the soft leather type shoes any good when children are walking properly?

brockleybelle Sat 24-Oct-09 17:26:13

Hi there,

I personally go to Clarks and get their advice. So far (my ds is 18 months) I've found them very good.

The major drawback for someone on a budget is they're pricey.

I would suggest getting him fitted there but don't actually buy - just find out his size.

Go on ebay and enter the size and sometimes pairs in good condition come up (not always - many pairs look very used!). What I do is get him fitted and buy a pair in Clarks then look for Clarks shoes, same size, in different styles on ebay. I can't afford to buy more than 1 pair at a time from Clarks.

just to quickly answer your qs
1. It really does depend.
2. Little feet grow quickly. I think average is 8-12 weeks, then you need a refitting (clarks leave room for growth which is v handy).
4. soft leather shoes are too soft for walking in.

All the best! I know what it's like to be on a budget and I too get lots on ebay. Have found it a Godsend. Also try NCT second-hand sales if you can.

cleanandclothed Sun 25-Oct-09 16:24:38

Thank you - good idea about getting one pair new and fitted, and then I might take a chance on a second pair from ebay as he won't wear them muc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now