Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Shoes from Clarks - fitting

(18 Posts)
Cloudy1 Sat 26-Sep-09 12:08:36

Hi

I've just come back from buying my 18 month old boy a pair of shoes. I went to Clarks and he was measured as a 5.5G. They didn't have the shoe in this size (only in 5.5F) so they sold me a 6F, and said that would be fine. Is this normal? I always thought Clarks were very careful with their sizing and I'm now not sure if I should have bought them...does anyone know?

He can walk in them and seems happy enough.

Thanks!

LIZS Sat 26-Sep-09 12:10:46

Sounds fine the measurement is often only a guide but styles may vary in terms of shape.

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 26-Sep-09 12:12:05

Basically the size and width is like a bra fitting, So if you go up on the sixe you go down on the width like a bra and cup sizes. It should mean his shoes last you a bit longer!

I had some problems with shoes being fitted and not enough growing room was allowed its meant I have been able to take DDs hoes back three times and get new ones for free.

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 26-Sep-09 12:12:38

ps agree re the style

whomovedmychocolate Sat 26-Sep-09 12:22:10

I think Clarks are rubbish at shoe fitting and have had to take shoes back five times now - so I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them hmm

Cloudy1 Sat 26-Sep-09 13:06:08

Thanks everyone! I will stick with these ones as he seems happy enough (can't get off him!). I must admit that I have had varying experiences in Clarks - some excellent, some not so good!

Montifer Sun 27-Sep-09 21:12:49

Sorry for hijack OP.

I have heard from a few people now that Clarks fitting is rubbish.

Who's good?

KEAWYED Sun 27-Sep-09 21:15:32

I used to work at Russell and Bromley many moons ago and the fittings were always double checked and we had quite a bit of training. plus the clarks and startrite are normal price.

thisisyesterday Sun 27-Sep-09 21:17:45

yes it's fine. the width goes up along with the shoe. so the F in a 6 will be the same as the G in the 5.5
he'll have a bit extra growing space and as long as he can walk ok in them that's fine!

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 28-Sep-09 07:51:45

I didn't know Russell and Bromley did children shoes blush

PuppyMonkey Mon 28-Sep-09 07:55:34

I always PMSL at Clarks and their strict measuring advice... which they then ignore if there isn't a pair in stock!!! You're probably just as well going to a cheapy shop and fitting yourself.

TheApprentice Mon 28-Sep-09 07:58:56

Yes. Russell and Bromley sell clarks, startrite and other makes and they seem well trained and will be honest with you ime. I would either go to them or an independent shoe shop - I have found start-rite shoes to be excellent (similar price to clarks) and I know so many people who have had bad experiences at Clarks.

FlamingoBingo Mon 28-Sep-09 07:59:16

Who's good? The parents IMO.

It's not rocket science, shoe fitting. You want the shoe not to be too tight anywhere - length should be long enough to grow a bit, width not pinching anywhere.

And not too big to be rubbing when they walk - look at the back of their heels when they walk away from you, and pull on the shoe when it's on. And not too big that they fall over in them.

That's all!

WinkyWinkola Mon 28-Sep-09 08:21:43

Never ever shop at Clarks.

The shoes are crap quality.

The staff will only ever check your child's shoes still fit only if they are wearing Clarks shoes.

They NEVER have the right size in stock even if they make a big brouhaha about measuring your child's feet properly.

It's such bllcks. I avoid Clarks as every time I've been in there, I've had a disappointing retail experience.

KEAWYED Mon 28-Sep-09 15:55:57

When I worked at Russell and Bromley I was always honest and if there was a few weeks growth left I would tell them not to bother just yet.

shouldbeironing Mon 28-Sep-09 16:07:59

I have found Clarks to be okay - but I do use my own common sense to check that I am happy with the shoes. They are the only store that seems to have shoes to fit my DS and DD who dont have "standard" width feet (one is an H and one is an E) and off-the-shelf shoes from next/M&S etc simply dont fit them.

I like Russell and Bromley too but recently found them to be extortionate - couldnt find anything in Clarkes (or anywhere else) for DS (H width) and only pair I could find at R&B which fit was £44 for school shoes.

choccyp1g Mon 28-Sep-09 16:12:31

But I don't see how you will get more time out of a 6F when you really need a 5.5G Because by the time his feet are long enough for the 6, they will be too wide for a G

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 28-Sep-09 16:37:56

As long as your DS can walk in them ok and there are no signs of rubbing on his feet they should be fine.

Having said that I hate Clarks though for that very reason. I bought some sandals for DS1 when he was a toddler which were a size up to get the width. They were clearly too big for him and he kepf falling over.

We have had similar recently but we didn't buy that time, we went elsewhere when they said they hadn't got the right size.

Now we go to an independent shoe shop. They are pricey but the quality of the shoes has been fabulous and I feel much more confident about the fitting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now