Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

My mum is feeling the cold

(25 Posts)
Rebecca1971 Tue 26-Dec-17 22:15:57

My mum (79) is feeling the cold really badly and cannot find a winter coat that will keep her warm and snug. She's especially feeling the cold on her legs and sometimes even resorts to wearing snow/ski trousers (not a flattering look). I've suggested several knee length down coats but none have fit the bill. From looking online the Canada Goose Mystique coat would be warm as well as long (longest coat I've seen so far) but the price tag is crazy.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

shockedballoon Tue 26-Dec-17 22:40:10

I don't have any specific coat recommendations, but thermal underwear inc thermal leggings is a good place to start. Then build up layers - double up on socks and make sure everything is tucked in.

cathyclown Tue 26-Dec-17 22:45:44

I don't think a knee length coat is worth the bother.

As others have said, thermal long johns (sorry but they do work) under ordinary trousers are brilliant.

Then a few layers on top, thermal vest, top, fleece jacket and a bodywarmer (no sleeve jacket) will do the trick.

Oh and a thermal hat and gloves are good too.

A below the hip bubble jacket on top and mum is good to go. Fashion is for wimps and warm weather, no one gives a hoot what you wear when it is very cold.

You can peel off the layers. They are recommended everywhere for cold weather.

Best of luck!

NoStraightEdges Tue 26-Dec-17 22:47:31

Agree with the right base layers and tucking in. But this coat looks seriously warm and quite long?

Rebecca1971 Wed 27-Dec-17 09:43:04

Thank you everyone. She's already wearing long johns, two wollen vests and two wollen jumpers. We will hit the shops today and have a good look around including the Tog24 one, thanks!)

NoStraightEdges Wed 27-Dec-17 12:13:34

It might be worth getting a GP appointment-just to check everything is as it should be.

MikeUniformMike Wed 27-Dec-17 12:20:35

Thermal baselayers or midlayers are good. Merino in particular. Silk isn't. Try Aldi/Lidl/TKMaxx/Mountain warehouse/uniqlo/M&S outlet if on a budget.
Long padded puffa-style coats (Land's end/north face/uniqlo etc) might be an idea, or try Outdoors shops for an expensive fleece. You can get microfleeces that might be thin enough to wear under a coat.

In my experience, people with low body fat tend to really feel the cold (I don't) but it might be a sign of anaemia or thyroid or something. I'm not a medical person.

MikeUniformMike Wed 27-Dec-17 12:21:43

The coat does look seriously warm.

eloisesparkle Sun 07-Jan-18 21:57:36

Lands End have a seriously warm and waterproof coat called the Commuter coat and there is a great sale on.

Unicorn81 Sun 07-Jan-18 22:02:18

Not the cheapest either but under armour coldgear would help. Ive got some storm gear and end up overheating a bit if i wear for too long. There is an outlet and also online too. If not u der armour id look at other sports brand designed for wearing in cold, Oakley perhaps?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 07-Jan-18 22:05:26

Tesco do really good padded coats for about £50.
What does she wear on her feet?

MrsMoastyToasty Sun 07-Jan-18 22:06:30

Have a look at coats from places like Trespass, Regatta and Go Outdoors. I've just bought a parka from Trespass which was reduced from £150 to £70 and is seriously warm and waterproof.

letsdolunch321 Sun 07-Jan-18 22:08:43

A scarf around the neck keeps me toasty.

Apileofballyhoo Sun 07-Jan-18 22:15:45

My DM has a down knee-length coat she got in TKMaxx for £60 or something a few years ago. She wears it all winter and says it's the best thing ever. It's sightly nipped in at the waist and the padding is square not diagonal, so it doesn't look too 'old lady'.

I wore it one day walking on the beach with DS (too cold and windy for DM and her partner), and I was so snug. Going down to the knees makes an unbelievable difference, you just feel so much warmer and more protected from the cold.

Apileofballyhoo Sun 07-Jan-18 22:16:13

I think it's Trespass.

SnowFairyDust Sun 07-Jan-18 22:16:32

I have this scarf, it's literally like wearing a blanket around your neck, it keeps me so so warm.

https://www.joules.com/Women/Accessories/Berkley/Soft-Handle-Oblong-Scarf/Blue-Check?id=X_BERKLEY|BLUECHK

Hebenon Sun 07-Jan-18 22:22:31

I have a knee length Superdry parka. It's not stylish but it is SO WARM and completely waterproof. Not sure what size your mum is as the sizes do come up small but if she is on the smaller side, they are brilliant coats. Also, Uniqlo down coats are very warm and light. The Superdry ones are quite heavy.

Also, I got my mum a cashmere jumper for Christmas - she is 73 and also feels the cold. It was about £80 from M&S and she really loves it. Much warmer and softer than wool or acrylic, and they come in a good range of sizes. A previous year I got her a cashmere scarf and leather gloves with cashmere lining - both worn very often and very helpful to her.

Also, from my mum's experience, warm feet really seems to help with being warm elsewhere - so I have got her some fluffy socks that she wears all the time. Seasalt have some lovely ones that aren't expensive, and they really seem to help.

Hebenon Sun 07-Jan-18 22:23:54

Oh yes, and Uniqlo has a great range of thermal base layers at a good price. Look for HeatTech on the website.

PlateOfBiscuits Sun 07-Jan-18 22:27:16

Agree with Hebenon. Warm feet help so much if you feel the cold. You can get lambs wool liners for shoes/slippers that are so toasty from supermarkets/amazon. Also, the heatgen socks from m&s are very warming too.

Jozxyqk Sun 07-Jan-18 22:33:27

I wear woollen tights & a full sleeved top (very sexy) as an under layer, as standard in winter. I have Raynauds & other stuff going on, & feel the cold dreadfully. Sheepskin liners in my shoes, two layers of socks, at least one of which is real wool, on top of the woollen tights.
Real wool fleece lined slippers at home.
A real wool blanket over my knees when sitting, & take it up to bed - wash and seal in a ziploc bag each sping to protect from moths etc.

Hebenon Sun 07-Jan-18 22:34:19

Yes, those lambs wool inner soles are great. I have them in my winter boots and they really help.

Jozxyqk Sun 07-Jan-18 22:34:59

If she can't get woollen tights, cotton is better than synthetic.

Charlottesomet1mes Sun 07-Jan-18 22:35:39

You need cashmere trousers. Look on M & S, they were recently in the sale

Hebenon Sun 07-Jan-18 22:35:56

Gap have nice warm socks too - billed as boot socks I think. They are acrylic but very warm and soft. H&M have nice acrylic tights which I also wear.

Donchodad Wed 07-Feb-18 18:35:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now