Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Where to find polyester or other synthetic socks (to wick sweat away)?

(8 Posts)
SouthLondonDaddy Wed 13-Sep-17 17:15:18

As per the subject. I have looked online and in a number of stores (M&S, Mothercare, John Lewis, JojoMaman, etc.) but couldn’t find any – they all tend to be between 80 and 100% cotton.

The reason I ask is because our child, now almost 3, sweats a lot from her feet, even when it’s not warm and she’s not running around all the time, and her socks are often wet from the sweat. Cotton may have lots of nice properties but is a terrible fabric for sweating: it does not wick sweat away like merino, silk or most synthetic fabrics, but gets drenched and stays wet. Her shoes are ordinary Clarks, made of leather, without any kind of fleece or thermal lining.

Merino and silk are expensive fabrics, so it makes sense they might not even make kids’ socks in these fabrics, but polyester isn’t.

stargirl1701 Wed 13-Sep-17 17:18:46

We buy woollen ones from Polarn O Pyret. If you catch the sale, even better!

SouthLondonDaddy Wed 13-Sep-17 17:47:39

Thanks! Wool winter socks are probably too warm for now. They even have merino socks - I didn't think these existed for kids - but they're unsurprisingly pricey. No polyester, though.

stargirl1701 Wed 13-Sep-17 20:13:42

We find wool cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Keep an eye for the sale to bring the cost down.

AnnettePrice Wed 13-Sep-17 21:32:14

How about bamboo?
www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11863340/Could-these-bamboo-socks-provide-the-cure-for-smelly-feet.html

I bought some from tkmaxx, I can't remember the price but I wouldn't pay that much for socks. They were plain black.

SouthLondonDaddy Thu 14-Sep-17 09:32:16

I tried bamboo socks myself, and found them worse than cheaper polyester / microfibre ones. DD is too little for us to ask her.

stargirl1701 Thu 14-Sep-17 12:44:26

We also buy woollen socks from Cambridge Baby but they are more expensive than PoP. Again, look for the sales?

JamieFraserskneewarmer Mon 30-Oct-17 12:36:50

Have you tried any of the outdoor or sports stores? Not sure that they would do sizes small enough for a three-year-old but Nike do kids wicking socks and you will find loads in the hiking section of places like Cotswold Outdoor and Ice and Rock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now