Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Clothing for between 10-16 year olds

(22 Posts)
imogenpilcher Fri 17-Mar-17 11:12:31

Hello,

I am a student at the University of Exeter studying a degree in Business. I work at Little Joules in the holidays and have discovered a gap in the market for children's clothing for those between the ages of 10 and 16. Parents are frustrated constantly by the lack of clothing as a whole and age appropriate clothing available and I believe I can change this. I would love to hear your views on what you feel on the current market situation and I will use these responses to develop an appropriate and creative range of clothing for your children.

Much appreciated,

Imogen Pilcher

AuntieStella Fri 17-Mar-17 16:49:38

The big gap I see is for young teenage boys.

Once 12/13ish, there is very little for them. They're too big for most children's ranges, but too small for men's (an XS might fit, but they are rarely actually in the shops).

Girls easier, as New Look covers that age/size

busymummy0411 Fri 17-Mar-17 16:52:48

Yes agree re 12-13 boys, its a nightmare trying to find comfy but 'cool enough' clothes for my 13 year old.

RubyWinterstorm Fri 17-Mar-17 16:57:05

My boys went from kids straight to mens (XS) around age 12

My 14 year old is 6ft and fits men's L now, the 12 yr old wear men's XS or S

I would say I have not spent £££ on their clothes in these years, as they can grow up to an inch a month shock

The clothes I did buy were mainly from Topshop, H&M.

Boden does a good inbetweeners line for this age (pricey but good quality) called "Johnnie B"

I have acquired this info through trial and error grin and if it's of use to you, or anyone else..great!

As to girls: I know form my nieces that once age 12 they prefer "adult" clothes, especially primary or New Look. New Look now do clothes for girls 12+

You are right though, there is still a gap in the market for more!

PickAChew Fri 17-Mar-17 17:02:47

My 5'8 and shooting up by the day 13yo boy is wearing a mixture of Landsend 13/14 tops (generous, but he's beginning to outgrow them and the bottoms stopped fitting him ages ago) Next 15-16 (his 15 joggers are beginning to get too short) and men's S. He's too broad shouldered for XS and pretty much skipped that size, save a few items, last summer, which he quickly outgrew.

mogloveseggs Fri 17-Mar-17 17:08:20

Dd shops at places like primark/asda and h and m. We do get some stuff from next but have to order online as they don't do anything over age 12 in the shops but go up to age 16 online! I definitely think there is a big gap in the market, I used to shop at tammy girl and clock house at c and a, no equivalents now really.

meditrina Fri 17-Mar-17 17:15:22

They need the length of men's sizing, but not necessarily the width (as they often don't fill out to men's muscle mass until later in puberty compared to the upwards growth).

The JohnnieB catalogue has fewer and pages of boys clothes. And if they don't sing you you, there's very little else.

Maybe this is the real why they all end up in oddly-fitting jeans?

Iamastonished Fri 17-Mar-17 17:26:40

DD's go to shops were New Look, Primark, Gap, Hollister and H and M. Bear in mind that unless they have rich parents the go to shops for clothes at that age are likely to be at the lower priced end of the market.

We found that clothes were too wide and too short, especially when DD was younger. By the time she was 13 she could get into adult size 6 and the leg length was long enough.

So, IMO I couldn't see much of a gap in the market for DD except for not having trousers and jeans that were long enough. Not all prepubescent girls are short and plump.

imogenpilcher Sat 18-Mar-17 11:38:17

Thanks for all of your responses.
Would you agree in general that there is more of a gap in the market for teenage boys rather than girls?
I believe that although some of you stated that your boys move into adult ranges because it fits them better, do you find that the clothing is suitable for their age? I feel that kids should be encouraged to act and look like their own age for as long as possible especially with the increase of social media pressures.
Also, as some of you mentioned, buying clothes from New Look and Primark is a possibility when they get to that age and size, but do you find the quality is up to scratch? Having looked at what they provide for that age range I question how appropriate it is for their age?
Your replies are much appreciated, thank you.

TanteJeanne Sat 18-Mar-17 11:57:21

Agree about the young teenage boys. DS1 is a 6 foot beanpole. Tall but super skinny. He's in men's ranges but the smallest sizes which fit hips/ waist are too short in the leg.
Other difficulty I have is buying clothes for DS2 who is basically obese ( no comments please, working on it). He's 9 but I have to buy age 11 school trousers and take up the hems. Otherwise he lives in joggers. I know this isn't an attractive option but there is definitely a gap in the market for plus size clothing, esp casual.

lljkk Sat 18-Mar-17 12:13:08

Primark. Top Shop. Few other places, I suppose.

My problem is I'm in small town, no one within 15 miles sells socks in size 4-7 for boys or socks in size 1-3 for girls. I don't like to buy any clothes online. But luckily I can go by Primark on way home from work, so all's good.

I have more trouble finding not-pear shaped clothes for me than finding things for my preteens & teens.

RubyWinterstorm Mon 20-Mar-17 09:31:40

The Japanese tend to be slim, therefore Japanese brand Superdry is great for teans (from age 12 they can wear size xs or s), it is all slimcut.

Sadly it's ££££ but fab quality.

I buy it in the sale/e-bay

lljkk Mon 20-Mar-17 19:13:36

Superdry is a very British brand. Based in UK. Made primarily for westerners. western teens with more money than sense?

RubyWinterstorm Mon 20-Mar-17 19:47:53

Haha, love it!

Why on earth did I think it was Japanese!!! grin

Do they pretend to be Japanese or did I just make that up myself completely?!

Anyway, it cuts its clothes skinny, so good for lanky teens (if ££££)

yikesanotherbooboo Mon 20-Mar-17 22:16:36

Agree boys trickier than girls. I had no physical input into DD's clothes from year 5. She would buy clothes in New Look . top shop or primark ... often way too big until she matured aged about 14/15.
My sons hate shopping and labels. I bought DS2's clothes until he was about20... he was usually grateful so left me to it. DS2 is very difficult... he likes comfort and doesn't want to stand out from crowd. He is past the Jack Wills stage ... I can get very plain things in sports direct .topshop and M&S but have to exchange loads.

lljkk Tue 21-Mar-17 05:56:51

Yes Superdry pretend to be Japanese.
" Marketing Schmarketing " (in Mel Brooks voice)
I never got it. Sounds like a nappy brand to me.
I gather the quality is good, main reason for their success?

RubyWinterstorm Tue 21-Mar-17 11:26:39

yes, the quality is very good. T-shirts of nice thick cotton that don't shrink or lose their shape after 100 washes, that sort of thing.

I like the idea of Japanese clothes for teens though, does Uniqlo do mens wear? (or is that also fake Japanese grin)

I know that officially we are obesity Britain, but most teen boys I know are super super skinny.

imogenpilcher Tue 21-Mar-17 13:42:02

Thanks for all of your responses.
I was wondering with the quality if you feel it is worth spending ££££ on teenage clothing as they grow at such a fast rate?
Also, Uniqlo do men's clothing yes and it is real Japanese!

FaFoutis Tue 21-Mar-17 13:45:40

I have two boys so yes, it's worth spending £££. It gets passed down.
Mine are 12 and 10, I'm running out of shops that make their size.

imogenpilcher Tue 21-Mar-17 14:12:42

That's very interesting thank you very much. What kind of shops do you by from now?

FaFoutis Tue 21-Mar-17 16:34:00

Boden, John Lewis, Fatface up to now, but they are out of most of that. They don't like anything that looks "like a farmer would wear it", or looks "like a footballer would wear it". I think I need a goth shop actually, or anime costumes - they would wear those.

lljkk Tue 21-Mar-17 17:31:54

"worth spending ££££ on teenage clothing"

absolutely not.
NB: I don't spend much on me either.
Stuff goes out of fashion fast so passing to younger siblings can be a challenge.

DD nicks all MY stuff, nowadays, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now