Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Dress for interview?

(17 Posts)
AvacadoSalad Wed 08-Mar-17 20:21:43

I have job interview next Wednesday (Conveyancng Assistant) and thinking of wearing a light blue pencil knee-length dress (pictured) with silver heels or light blue pumps. Not sure on a jacket yet.

I'm confident the dress is OK, but looking for a little reassurance. What think ye?

bluejelly Wed 08-Mar-17 20:29:05

I love the dress! Gorgeous. Not sure about silver heels with it though - bit too disco for an interview?

Semaphorically Wed 08-Mar-17 20:30:44

I love that dress, very suitable for a formal interview. You can't wear a jacket over those sleeves though?

I agree with blue, keep the shoes boring.

AvacadoSalad Wed 08-Mar-17 22:12:32

Thank you!

The sleeves are kimono/wide sleeves and bunch up/fold when I put a jacket over and it is distractingly uncomfortable. My hair (blonde, mid-bicep length) should cover the dress's V back.

Tights or no tights?

TheCakes Wed 08-Mar-17 22:16:13

Tights for an interview, but nude, not opaque.
It was drilled into us at school that it is neither ladylike or professional to have bare legs at work. Even though I know that's rubbish and times have moved on, I always feel a bit slatternly without tights 😂

GirlElephant Wed 08-Mar-17 22:38:06

Love the dress! I would wear with black high heels & nude tights. I don't think bare legs look professional and silver shoes will look too informal.

Good luck!

AvacadoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 18:55:08

I've run in to a problem: I also have the same dress in navy.

It's an internal interview / same solicitor firm I currently work for, but I still want to subtly project a little bit of personality in what I wear - the light blue dress easily conveys this more than the navy one: it's bright and cheerful. Next to it the navy looks a little sombre... BUT the navy dress draws your focus towards my face rather than itself. Comparatively the light blue dress's bright colour competes for your attention...

I shouldn't be torn like this but...I am. I support fee earners with legal matters every day, but I can't decide over a dress! I feel really stupid and silly. sad confused

Chewbecca Fri 10-Mar-17 19:00:50

Either dress is fine, but definitely wear nude tights and sensible shoes, not silver

Semaphorically Fri 10-Mar-17 19:24:12

I prefer the pale blue one. The navy one draws attention to the statement zip, which I don't think you want in an interview.

u123 Fri 10-Mar-17 19:32:21

It's a lovely dress. Where is it from?

AvacadoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 20:00:43

Closet

AvacadoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 20:03:05

Navy dress and light blue dress

MollyHuaCha Fri 10-Mar-17 20:10:09

Both dresses are lovely. But firstly you should check how much it rides up when you sit down. Also when you cross one leg over another. Good luck with interview!

AvacadoSalad Fri 10-Mar-17 21:48:40

Thank you!

When I'm standing up, both dresses fall on my knee; they ride up around 2 inches when I sit down and come up mid-quadricep when I cross leg over leg.

TheCakes Sat 11-Mar-17 10:21:30

What's your colouring? I'd always go for the navy, but I'm a dark hair fair skin type. The other would be better on blonde.
I think they are both lovely. For a law job, definitely nude tights and closed toe shoes.
Which do you prefer when you put it on?

Lingotria Fri 31-Mar-17 20:10:17

Navy, sheer tights, nude heels

DaisyLovesHolidays Mon 03-Apr-17 15:56:57

Going back to work and have gone up a size. So need a new wardrobe. Selling all my work clothes. Size 12 jackets, coats, slacks, shirts. Zara, Next Women, H&M. Priced at £5 per item. Pls get in contact if you're interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now