Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

What size clothing did you buy for your newborn?

(12 Posts)
mummabubs Mon 27-Feb-17 10:27:41

Hi all,

First-time mum-to-be here and after a week of being sick and all the glory that comes with the first trimester I've decided to let myself buy one item of clothing for bubbabean (to remind myself that feeling rubbish now is for a very positive outcome in 6 months time!) I know people will probably buy us clothes in the lead up to birth but J do think it's nice for the first thing they wear to be something their mummy and daddy chose for them, soppy I know!

I was wondering for those who have been there before... is there any point in buying a "newborn" size baby grow (which covers up to 9lbs) or did you leap straight into 0-3 months that covers up to 62cm/12 lbs? I just figure is there any point getting anything newborn size when they might only fit it for a few days vs. something that might look a bit big to begin with but will last longer? Any advice much appreciated! 😊 xxx

WhirlwindHugs Mon 27-Feb-17 10:31:21

Unless you have reason to believe the baby will be unusually big you'll definitely need newborn size clothes. I had 3 very average babies and they all wore newborn sized clothes for around a month.

CatAstronaut Mon 27-Feb-17 10:32:36

I had newborn, up to one month, first size and 0-3 months. I still had to go out and buy some tiny size and at almost five months, my baby is still in some 0-3.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Mon 27-Feb-17 10:41:17

My lo was 2 weeks overdue and I was huge so I returned most of the newborn stuff I had bought for 0-3 months. Dd arrived weighing 7lbs15 and the clothes were massive on her.
She wore newborn stuff until 2 months.
I remember spending hours deliberating over it before she arrived.

All the best with little one.

Carmalia Mon 27-Feb-17 10:44:40

My baby is 75th percentile (and was always going to be big - I'm rather tall) and was too small for 0-3 months until about week 3. He was also very curled up in those early days which sort of shortens them up if you see what I mean. So for coming home outfit I'd definitely go for newborn if you want it to look nice. Some brands are bigger than others though - I've found that supermarket ones tend to run small while posher ones like JoJo or Mamas and Papas run larger. We brought DS home in a JoJo 0-3 sleepsuit and it was very baggy! Which wasn't really a big deal in the end, we were far too overwhelmed with getting used to having a baby to look after, but it wasn't quite how I imagined!

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Mon 27-Feb-17 10:46:27

I had a feeling that DD was going to be a big girl (tall genes on both sides and MIL and DM both had big babies) so I stocked up mainly on 0-3 size. Bought two newborn outfits and figured I'd send DH to the big Next store down the road if we needed more.

I took a set of newborn clothes and a set of 0-3 to the hospital. My wonderful midwife helped me to dress DD in the middle of the night when we arrived on the ward and I told her there were two different sizes in our bag. She got out the newborn size first, held it up and laughed grin didn't even attempt it. 10lb 5oz DD went straight into 0-3.

StarUtopia Mon 27-Feb-17 10:46:48

0-3 is bloody huge! Neither of my babies had 0-3 on til they were 4 months plus!

Both in First Baby size which was still big on them. Both 6lb 4 babies.

purpleporpoise Mon 27-Feb-17 10:53:47

I had growth scans and knew DS would be big so I stocked up on 0-3m clothes, but had a few newborn things. I took a selection of both to hospital, just in case he was smaller than expected. The newborn clothes got worn once! He was 9lbs.

mummabubs Mon 27-Feb-17 10:56:27

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'll go with newborn and then might buy the same set in a larger size closer to due date as they are so darn cute it'd be nice to see bubbabean in them for a while. (I'm a sucker for the current John Lewis elephant prints as pictured below!) We're not finding out the gender either so it's lovely to find clothing that's not too either way. (My other ulterior motive for going large originally is I love the idea of making a teddy out of their first baby grow... assuming it's not too sick/poop stained to be used come the end of it, big assumption I know!) Thanks again all xx

daisygirlmac Mon 27-Feb-17 10:57:02

DS went straight into 0-3 but he was 9lb15. I had mostly newborn size with me and one emergency 0-3 sleepsuit but I just sent DH to primark

insertimaginativeusername Mon 27-Feb-17 11:01:50

Very much depends on how big baby is likely to be? Both mine were on the bigger side (8lb and 9lb7) and both were initially in 'up to 1 month/first size' and quickly went into 0-3. Newborn would have been a waste!

mummabubs Tue 28-Feb-17 17:38:07

I've been swayed... 0-3 months it is! At least that way I don't risk buying 3 newborn ones that don't fit (and in my mind this allows me to buy one newborn sized one much closer to the time when I'm more likely to have an idea of expected weight). Thanks all! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now