Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Coming home outfit

(42 Posts)
Mummymooretobe Mon 20-Feb-17 12:33:44

My little baby is due May 31st.
I was after some advice on a coming home from hospital outfit. (I'm very new at this--as this is my first!)

We have decided to wait to find out the sex of the baby, so our plan is to have a little pink girl outfit & a little blue boy outfit both ready. (See attached pics)

But my worry is that as it'll be summer, baby will be too hot(?) as I think the sleepsuits are fleecy..
What does everyone think?

Thanksgrin

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Feb-17 12:39:34

I didn’t know ‘coming home’ outfits were a thing. Mine came home in neutral coloured terry sleep suits and cardigans. I don’t think the fleece suits would be too warm for May but i wouldn’t waste money on two different ones. Why not buy just one in a neutral cream?

welshweasel Mon 20-Feb-17 12:42:03

Stuck with cotton, fleece isn't really recommended as they can overheat really quickly. I'd get a load of plain white vests and a pack of unisex babygrows (next and mothercare have lovely ones). You won't need a hat. Can cover with a blanket if needed.

welshweasel Mon 20-Feb-17 12:42:53

Oh and bibs aren't usually needed til be dribble phase starts at a few months old!!

BillyButtfuck Mon 20-Feb-17 12:42:57

My best friend bought us 'coming home outfits' from Next and they are the only teeny outfits I've bothered keeping. I love them so much. We went neutral even though we Knew we were having boys, I liked dressing them in light colours and white as they're so new and clean blush but that's a personal preference.
Anyway, they were born mid April and we took them home in a body suit and a sleep suit and weren't too hot, they needed at least an extra layer to what we had on because they were diddy little things!

Good luck with it all grin

Crumbs1 Mon 20-Feb-17 12:43:44

Coming home outfit? When did this happen? Ours did white cotton babygrows until about 10 weeks.

Bellabelloo Mon 20-Feb-17 12:44:11

The other problem is what size!! I took newborn and tiny baby. My baby was 8lbs 8oz and tiny baby hung off him! But I know others that wore newborn straightaway.

I had a selection of babygrows etc in the 2 different sizes as got through a few in hospital.

welshweasel Mon 20-Feb-17 12:44:52

Oh and if you do want a pink/blue outfit, if you keep all the tags on most places will refund (next, John Lewis and mothercare definitely do). We had DS at 35 weeks and weren't sure how tiny he would be so bought a range of sizes and returned the ones that didn't fit.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 20-Feb-17 12:45:43

When did a 'coming home outfit' become a thing hmm

BillyButtfuck Mon 20-Feb-17 12:46:00

I don't know if it is a 'thing', my best friend bought them for us and it was actually a really nice gesture and after being stuck in hospital for a month it was really nice to get (myself) the babies dressed in a special outfit to come home in.

Mol1628 Mon 20-Feb-17 12:50:41

Don't bother with the fancy vest. You won't be able to see it anyway underneath the sleepsuit so it's a waste.

Also the bibs aren't necessary till they're a few months old, and you will probably be too tired to bother faffing with those anyway.

Remember newborns can go through a lot of clothes very quickly so if you want to have a 'coming home' outfit you'd have to put them in it last minute.. and if they're sleeping or you're in pain or exhausted the last thing you want to do is mess around changing outfits.

Bit wasteful buying two as well, plenty of places sell neutral clothes in all sorts of lovely colours. Saves you having to pack an extra unnecessary outfit in your hospital bag too, since you will need several anyway.

Celticlassie Mon 20-Feb-17 12:59:38

I've just bought a few wee outfits in neutral colours for 'going home', will see what's to hand for the actual journey! but am also struggling with sizes. I have newborn and up to one month but wonder if I should go smaller.
Also, in terms of returning them, I thought you were supposed to wash all baby clothes? Which would surely make them non returnable?

BillyButtfuck Mon 20-Feb-17 13:01:51

We went for upto 5lbs size-wise and our boys were 5lb1 and 5lb9 and both outfits were too big. We also had a load of premature clothes which were too small. It doesn't matter if they're a bit baggy, it's better to have too big than too small.

Mummymooretobe Mon 20-Feb-17 13:06:09

Wowshock
I don't understand why people seem to be really rude on here whenever I post anything about anything. I haven't posted anything for a while because of the rudeness and negativity but thought I'd give it another try today.

If you don't like my idea about having a girl and boy outfit ready, then don't comment. I wasn't asking for advice on that as it's something I want to do and should be allowed to. Why can't I? What's wrong with it? Oh yeah, nothing. It's a cute little idea I've decided to do and I think it's lovelygrin

Also, with regards to the "fancy vest" and bib, they come with the set and I'm sure a bib will be of use at some point anyway....right?

Also, do you not think I'm aware it'll cost more money? It's not a "waste of money" in my eyes as the unused outfit can either be sold or saved for next time.

I want to thank "Billybuttfuck" for your lovely comments. Your baby's look so cute in their coming home outfitssmile

myoriginal3 Mon 20-Feb-17 13:07:23

I have kept the first Babygro dd ever wore, in with all the other little bits she has from hospital. I opened that suitcase about 2 years ago (she is 12 now) and the smell that came out was of a new baby! She doesn't know I have all that stuff as I plan to show her all when she is older. I hope the smell of new baby remains in the suitcase until then.
I couldn't tell you what she wore home but she was a small baby so a lot of the stuff I had bought didn't fit her.
Btw - her first Babygro was white.
Like a pp, they are so pure, it was just lovely to see her in white.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Mon 20-Feb-17 13:17:19

If you want to do this then you might need to pack more than one nice outfit as babies have got a tendency to poo/wee/vomit on clothes and you may well end up bringing them home in a plain babygrow even if it isn't what you planned.
That going home from hospital moment is often uncomfortable/painful/stressful/emotional and you might not want to add disappointment (if the baby isn't dressed right) into that mix.
They are nice outfits though. flowers

Celticlassie Mon 20-Feb-17 13:17:46

I don't know that it's necessarily rudeness - I just think that perhaps if you've had a few DC you forget just how bloody exciting it is taking your PFB home for the first time. I suppose people think they're offering practical advice wrt neutral colours and the baby being sick all over their special outfit.

I think the outfits are lovely - and if you want pink or blue, go for it!

FoxesSitOnBoxes Mon 20-Feb-17 13:19:18

Ooh, just re-read that they are fleecy. I wouldn't get them for the summer. Baby will get really hot in fleece in a car seat in the summer.

dingit Mon 20-Feb-17 13:19:21

Awe, don't let grumpy posters piss on your chips. It's so lovely and exciting! I didn't know my baby's gender, but I had a little wardrobe of bits ready. But just remember as its your first you are likely to get loads of lovely baby clothes as gifts. Dh went straight to mothercare and came back with a pink teddy and snowsuit. Inlaws turned up with a dress.

Enjoy your new baby flowers

Mummymooretobe Mon 20-Feb-17 13:20:55

I am aware I will need to bring more clothes, this is to change little one into before we leave the hospital.

I will have plenty of unisex & neutral coloured babygrows and vests ready

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 20-Feb-17 13:22:55

Nothing to do with rudeness for people to point out that they didn't know it was 'a thing' hmm

FoxesSitOnBoxes Mon 20-Feb-17 13:24:06

I was just suggesting that you might still need more than one special outfit if this is important to you as babies will often wee/poo/vomit within seconds of them getting changed into something so I wouldn't rely on just one outfit being the special one for the drive home.

Jenniferb21 Mon 20-Feb-17 13:24:16

Hi

Definitely stick to cotton my DS gets so hot in his car seat and they can overheat so quickly can't they. Have you looked at next? Keep the tags on and even months later you can exchange the outfit you don't use then.

I'm going to do this next time. We didn't know the sex and I had a lovely neutral outfit from Mumas and Papas but I'd love to do a pink and blue option. Lovely idea x

blueskyinmarch Mon 20-Feb-17 13:28:34

I don’t think me or any other posters were being rude. Just trying to be helpful. I had no idea that people bought special going home outfits as my ‘baby’ is a tall 19 year old now. I guess things change. I wouldn’t buy two outfits personally but that is your choice.

Backt0Black Mon 20-Feb-17 13:30:43

I cant see anything really rude here other than your snippy and really quite sharp replies to posters... many of whom have just offered advice? A lot of 'I am aware......' 'do you not think I am aware.........' perhaps you're being over sensitive here?

I'll be giving birth to first DC in the next 3-4 weeks and am also excited, and have sorted a neutral cotton outfit to dress DC in for car ride home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now