Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Canada Goose

(12 Posts)
18GingerBiscuits Wed 11-Jan-17 10:46:14

I am horrified every time I see one. Is this just me? I am against fur but not militantly so. Mink coats etc seem now to be socially unacceptable, yet Coyote fur (which is what Canada Goose use) is seen as being okay? From what I believe minks are gassed to kill them, so the suffering has a limit, but I think Coyotes are trapped?! I.E. those medieval metal vices that capture the animals foot, so they can be left for days. Yet every term more and more mums are appearing in these coats. I find it upsetting. If I've got any of this wrong please tell me, so I don't have to think about these animals suffering (I have a lovely dog, and coyotes are so close to dogs).

whifflesqueak Wed 11-Jan-17 10:50:32

I think at certain times of year there is a bounty on coyotes. I know a lot are shot. they're considered a pest, I suppose a bit like foxes here.

doesn't make it right or wrong. I don't know if I've fully thought out my opinion on it.

18GingerBiscuits Wed 11-Jan-17 11:07:58

Thanks for the reply. Shooting would appear less cruel, so that makes it a bit better. It's the thought of prolonged suffering that I find abhorrent, so I appreciate your message.

FrankiesKnuckle Wed 11-Jan-17 11:11:18

I'm horrified at the price of them.

whifflesqueak Wed 11-Jan-17 11:17:15

I do see where you're coming from, but I feel more ambivalent because there is so much cruelty at every level of clothing production that it seems strange to empathise so much with a trapped animal.

people are often the ones who suffer the most, enduring horrendous and unsafe conditions to produce cheap clothing. when people say, "well you don't need to wear fur" I think sure, but no one needs to eat meat, but most of us do. yet that doesn't seem to provoke the same intense emotional response.

so yeah. I'm confused on the issue. but I generally agree that traps which cause injury are pretty abhorrent.

18GingerBiscuits Wed 11-Jan-17 11:18:07

Yes I know! You'd expect a few diamonds sewn into the seam for that sort of money.

FemelleReynard Wed 11-Jan-17 11:29:26

There is a big difference between a trap and a snare, and I think you're confused.

A trap is like a cage that when the animal enters the door closes, thus locking the animal in. 'Proper' hunters/trappers leave food & water in traps, and they are checked regularly (e.g. daily or more) so the animal is not left in there for prolonged periods.

A snare is what catches the animals foot and holds it. Again, if it is a 'proper' hunter, they are required to check snares regularly and they do (I know people who use them). Generally, no 'prolonged suffering' takes place, unless they're used by unscrupulous people/poachers.

However, with regards to the fur trade, I don't imagine the coyotes are trapped or snared 1. because it's labour intensive and costly and 2. because it's unpredictable e.g. you may not catch anything.

I think most animals used for fur these days are farmed (e.g. bred for this purpose and not wild) and then mostly likely killed by shooting or gassing which is easier/quicker/more humane.

RockyBird Wed 11-Jan-17 11:36:18

A mum at school has one. I didn't know what they were until I saw one online yesterday.

I thought it was a freebie work's jacket with that hideous logo.

<misses point of thread>

18GingerBiscuits Wed 11-Jan-17 12:22:09

Whifflesqueak. Yes you are right, but you can care about both (there are certain shops I don't go to because of their poor record on treatment of labour). Your point on meat is a subtle one, and not quite comparable but still a dilemma: I generally end up buying the option where the animal (as far as I can tell) has had the least awful life - which is a bit rubbish of me, but a move in the right direction. On a less rational level I struggle most where an animal is more sentient/higher IQ - which is why coyotes being left to suffer in traps disturbs me, but then I hypocritically love a bacon sarnie - I am trying to overcome it (I am a lapsed vegetarian) yet at least pigs aren't left in traps? Or at least I hope not - and I'm not googling it!

18GingerBiscuits Wed 11-Jan-17 12:31:51

FemelleReynard - these are the sort of traps I'm talking about (not cages):
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544075/Revealed-Chilling-cruelty-unspeakable-suffering-corporate-denial-Is-TRUE-cost-seasons-Canada-Goose-coat.html

FemelleReynard Wed 11-Jan-17 14:38:49

They look like truly vile, horrible things 18GingerBiscuits. What a horrible practice.

AveEldon Wed 08-Feb-17 21:41:27

They seem to be everywhere at the moment

Are they the latest hot counterfeit item?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now