This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Want to buy birthday gift for wifee obsessed with retro styles

(5 Posts)
henryfletcher02 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:14:09

I'm trying to decide a birthday gift for my wife and cant decide which one to buy. She loves retro dressed.
I'm not able to choose which on should I buy. Or should I buy someting entirely different. Need your help folks! smile

www.maggieannvintage.co.uk/style-trend/hell-bunny-pink-50-s-alika-tropical-hawainan-rockabilly-jive-swing-dress.html
www.maggieannvintage.co.uk/style-trend/collectif-violet-watercolour-floral-chifon-dress.html
www.sherryslondon.com/dresses/sherrys-60s-vintage-2-tone-dress-759-179-476.php

Jaimx86 Wed 26-Oct-16 22:59:24

I really like the middle one from Maggie Ann Vintage.

Have you tried Vivien of Holloway? They have a lot of dresses in the sale www.vivienofholloway.com/sale

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Wed 26-Oct-16 23:07:55

You would need to say which "retro" ideally. That last one you've posted is very '60s, the middle one I would say more '40s, the first one kind of '50s and a bit more American style I'd say. So quite a bit of difference and most vintage fans I know have a particular era they prefer. If you have examples of things she already owns, or type of hair she likes for example that would help.

You could also look at Little Wings Factory and/or Lindy Bop which have lovely dresses in a range of styles from '20s to at least '50s.

Or how about getting her a voucher so she can choose herself? I think I'd actually prefer that if it was me!

henryfletcher02 Thu 27-Oct-16 14:17:07

thanks Jaimx. Appreciate you advice. Will look into them as well.
@MyNameIsInigoMontoya Given the circumstances, Gifting her a voucher is really asking for trouble. On the other hand, if she doesn't like the present then confused ! well, I don't wish to comment abt that grin.

Btw! this image is very close to the kind of hairstyle she has
www.maggieannvintage.co.uk/style-trend/banned-50s-palm-springs-blue-orange-tropical-rockabilly-jive-dress.html

have a look

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 27-Oct-16 21:09:57

Looks like she's more into the 40s-50s stuff then, so I'd stay clear of the last one you linked. Still it's hard without really knowing her tastes.

How about getting one that is similar to one she already has (look at the labels, or her online shopping history!) but in a different print? I have one style of dress in at least 3 different prints/fabrics, they all look totally different but I didn't have to worry about whether they'd fit or anything as the basic shape and size is exactly the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now