This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

what do dress winter newborn in!?

(23 Posts)
bradleybecky Sat 08-Oct-16 20:38:22

FTM mum over here - winter baby. smile
just wondering what to do dress them in? how many layers? am guessing a bodysuit (short sleeved) with sleepsuit on top for night times?

bodysuit with clothes..and snowsuit going out?!
any tips would be appreciated! x

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Oct-16 20:43:56

Short sleeved/no leg vest-bodysuit
Long sleeved/long leg sleepsuit/babygrow
Cardy and hat as required
Snowsuit for going out

Whatever outfits people give you, as you fancy.

The vest/sleepsuit combo did us day and night for quite some months. Changed at bed time, we had "daytime" and "pyjama" sleepsuits, decided mostly on their pattern.

Heirhelp Sat 08-Oct-16 20:46:06

You can't use a snow suit in the car seat.

You will want gro bags for bed when they are over 8lb. I would use long sleeve vest under sleep suit for bed.

You will may need cardigans depending on how warm your home is and hats for going out.

cookielove Sat 08-Oct-16 20:46:46

Don't put them on a snow suit or coat in their car seat it's really dangerous!

We put ds (preemie) in a vest, baby grow, and jumper if it was cold (socks under the baby grow if really cold), then put a blanket or two over his straps in his carseat.

AnneGables Sat 08-Oct-16 20:49:50

Yep sounds about right to me. A little tip, a good place to feel how hot they are is their back, rather than hands/head.

Don't forget to take the baby out of the snowsuit in the car seat, as it compromises their safety, use a blanket instead.

AnneGables Sat 08-Oct-16 20:50:57

Oops cross posted, you probably have the message now about snowsuits and car seats. smile

BingBongBingBong Sat 08-Oct-16 20:52:20

Just want to reiterate - no snow suits in the car! Some shocking videos on YouTube about how they compress in a crash and the child can fly out of the straps.

I did usually a vest, babygrow, a cardigan then in the car a blanket tucked over them. Sometimes socks under the babygrow. Then in a snowsuit in the pram (but indoors I'd unzip it and uncover them like in shops and etc as they can overheat).

My basic rule is whatever I'm wearing they need one extra layer and that seemed to do fine.

Bedtime I did vest, babygrow and grobag

BingBongBingBong Sat 08-Oct-16 20:53:02

Sorry cross posted with a few, you definitely have the message about the car seats and snow suits sorry blush

Artandco Sat 08-Oct-16 20:54:19

Baby vest and baby grow.

Then outside add cardigan, hat and booties. Add blankets

I never use snowsuits even in snowy climates. Baby gets hot in shops and cafes and house so if your In and our shops it's awkward to unwrap. Blankets easy to take on and off without waking

MrEBear Sat 08-Oct-16 20:55:28

Depends on mode of transport, Vest, sleep suit, & cardi, blanket.

Snowsuits are too bulky to use in a car seat.

BikeRunSki Sat 08-Oct-16 20:55:35

Sorry about the confusion I started by saying "snowsuit for going out". I
meant "out in the pram".

Notso Sat 08-Oct-16 21:03:39

I found snow suits a major PITA. I used a wrap in the pram as it was easy to open/close as needed.

welshweasel Sat 08-Oct-16 21:09:45

Another one who has never used a snowsuit. Prem baby born end of jan. Short sleeved vest and babygrow for bed, with a newborn sleeping bag on top. Heating set to 18 degrees, was slightly obsessed about baby overheating! During day did the same, added a cardigan for going out, with a blanket over the top in the pram and booties when in the sling. He hated wearing a hat so didn't bother with that either but did get lots of people telling me off for that one. Genuinely no idea why people need snow suits in the UK.

bradleybecky Sun 09-Oct-16 09:21:56

Thanks everyone! Super helpful smile

bradleybecky Sun 09-Oct-16 09:25:03

Which tog grobag out of interest if wearing a short sleevedrive bodysuit and babygrow in bed? Rooms about 19 usually...

Notso Sun 09-Oct-16 09:34:47

I used 2.5 tog grow bags and just adjusted clothing to suit.

Artandco Sun 09-Oct-16 09:45:33

Look at the merino wool sleeping bags, they are suitable all year around and last 0-2 years not just 6 months. So no need to buy more than once

bradleybecky Mon 10-Oct-16 08:48:30

Where do you get those artandco?

Artandco Mon 10-Oct-16 09:39:09

Lots of places. Merino kids and bambino merino are what we used. Around £50 but like said that lasts until they use a duvet, no buying 0-6, 6-12, 12-18, 18-24 month in winter and summer weights potentially.

The natural baby shower is a good place to look

bradleybecky Sat 15-Oct-16 00:19:48

Thank you!

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 15-Oct-16 00:26:14

Grobags cone with a room thermometer and a guide to layers for each temp

OhTheRoses Sat 15-Oct-16 00:38:46

You can just let the heating tick over.

MamaPippin Tue 15-Nov-16 15:56:15

For daytime, it all depends on whether you're inside or outside and exactly where you are!

If you're worried about using the snowsuit in the car, then it's better to just layer them up. I usually put on a sleepsuit with some leggings/trousers over the top, and then a cardi and a snowsuit type jacket as you need to keep their core warm. A nice hat, gloves and some good booties!

As for night time, it can be a little trickier. You need to keep the room cool as it's safer (16-20c) and then I would suggest a long sleeved/legged sleepsuit or (if they get really hot) a long sleeved bodysuit with a swaddle bag/sleeping bag. The sleeping bags are from 3months, so swaddle bag until they're that old. You can get sleeping bags from babymori.com (they're made from natural materials & are soooo soft!). The swaddle bags are sometimes a fairly light tog, so you would probably want to add another layer to baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now