Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Advice on what to wear to a "dressy" New Year's Eve party for a non-European?

(3 Posts)
bzz7 Sat 19-Dec-15 15:06:38

I come from an area where dress standards are very casual. Could some kind person with good taste please help me avoid standing out for the wrong reasons (again) at New Year's Eve?

The instructions are to "dress up." At this point, I'm counting on Boden because delivery is fast and I know which size fits me. But almost everything is sold out. Here are my options (things that look dressy):

1. Sequin top with my trusty black trousers (not sure if I could wear this for anything but NYE though):
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Tops-T-shirts/WA653-NAV/Womens-Navy-Black-Sequin-Statement-Sequin-Top.html

2. Lace dress (I would probably have to buy a strapless bra for this and don't love the idea of finding one; also, I'm pale/blonde and the gold might not look good. Too stingy to buy the black, which is more expensive):
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Special-Occasion-Dresses/WH924-BLK/Womens-Black-Lace-Luxe-Lace-Dress.html

3. Lace skirt (this is cool, but I'm plump and it might not look great on me; could I wear black tights with it?):
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Skirts/Below-Knee-Skirts/WG638-GLD/Womens-Gold-Lace-Luxe-Lace-Skirt.html

4. Sequin dress (not a fan of sleeveless and I'm suspicious it may look better on screen than in person):
www.boden.co.uk/en-GB/Womens-Dresses/Special-Occasion-Dresses/WH931-BLK/Womens-Black-Sequin-Velvet-Dress.html

Thanks for any advice!

OddSocksHighHeels Sun 20-Dec-15 13:59:11

I'd go for one of the two dresses. The sequin top looks like it might be shapeless and unflattering, the skirt is just a bit meh to me. Of the two dresses I think the second would look better but it obviously depends on your body with what is more flattering on you.

babybarrister Sun 20-Dec-15 14:00:15

I would advise you repost in style and beauty - the ladies are excellent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now