Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

What clothes to get for DS 10

(24 Posts)
CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 13:56:02

Hello, I can't get clothes that fit my 10 year old boy, he's overweight and all the clothes he's got don't fit him (tops not going over his tummy, pants that won't fasten up etc..) Where can I go to get some that will fit ? P.s he's 4"5 so not very tall

AChocoLipsNow Tue 23-Dec-14 15:03:58

BHS do a good range of generous fit clothing.
Sometimes we just buy bigger age sizes and turn up trousers or jeans.

uggmum Tue 23-Dec-14 15:06:45

Gap are generous and always have good sales. Also don't focus on the size you buy as all shops have different sizing.

Just go up a size and you can always get trousers taken up if required.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 23-Dec-14 15:19:10

I buy bigger sizes and/or get plus size clothing.

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 15:47:05

where's the best place for plus size clothes ?

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 16:17:06

He's 6 stone 5 so I think he'll need plus size

ilovepowerhoop Tue 23-Dec-14 17:13:36

He doesn't sound that plus size for 10 (my ds is around that weight and is younger than yours). He wears tops in a bigger size and recently got older aged plus size jeans from next.

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 18:16:25

how old is your ds ?

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 18:32:52

There isn't a big selection here but might find something.

www.sturdykids.co.uk/

Mine went through a stocky phase at about that age and I found Next plus fit fine mostly - try to get the trousers with the elastic or knitted waistband and cuffed ankles as they generally don't need taken up even if you go up a size or two.

these unfortunately don't have the cuffed bottoms any more but would roll up:

www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-olderboys-gender-youngerboys-category-jeans/fit-cuffpullon#1_0

this is their plus fit jeans:

www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-olderboys-category-jeans/sizetype-plusfit

www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-olderboys-gender-youngerboys-category-trousers/sizetype-plusfit#1_0

BHS Generous fit is mainly school stuff but they do have some joggers:

www.bhs.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogNavigationSearchResultCmd?langId=-1&storeId=13077&catalogId=34096&beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=false&pageSize=40&sort_field=Relevance&searchTerm=generous+fit&x=8&y=5#langId=-1&storeId=13077&catalogId=34096&beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=false&pageSize=40&sort_field=Relevance&searchTerm=generous+fit&x=8&y=5&refinements=category~[1877994|-13077]&noOfRefinements=1

Tops and underwear are easier - just buy in a bigger size and go for zip up sweatshirts rather than over the head as they can be awkward for getting off and on and tend to pull up the t-shirt with them which they can find embarrassing.

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 18:49:18

myotherusernameisbetter- Thanks for these links, do you know how big the waist is on next's plus size jeans ? Also I think I need to get him wearing sweatshirts/hoodies more often because when he wears t-shirts he doesn't realise that quite often a fair bit of his belly is on show blush

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 18:58:27

this is the chart but it can be a hit or a miss - i've ordered trousers in same style and size and found them to be different when they arrive.

www.next.co.uk/help/WinHelpSGC.asp#4

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 19:05:51

Is it mainly in the tummy or does he have chunky thighs as well? Reason I ask is that sometimes if the thighs/legs are generous too and they only need the extra waist it doesn't look very flattering and in that case you are better with a stretchy waist in an non plus fit style.

DS1 is currently an almost 6 foot beanpole at 14 and DS2 is not far behind but still inclined to gain a bit of a tummy before stretching out of it again which he gets quite sensitive about - he is currently a 32 waist 32 leg - Ds1 is 30 waist and 34 leg.

Has he always been overweight or is this something that's crept up as he nears puberty?

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 19:30:40

He carries a lot of weight around his tummy but his thighs are quite big too. Up until now he's been wearing non-plus size 11-12 clothes but it's been a nightmare trying to keep his pants fastened up and his top covering his belly. He's been gaining weight since he was about 8.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 19:35:55

I'd definitely try the plus size in maybe about the same age range it can't be comfy for him either.

Not that it's any of my business, but are you/him trying anything to stabilise his weight? - he is clearly still growing and will have a growth spurt to come, but if he could avoid putting on any more clearly it would help him to avoid being a fat teen and be better for his long term health. don't want to be judging, as it's not easy and it's in our nature as parents to want to see them fed and not hungry.

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 19:41:24

He often complains that he's uncomfortable in his current clothes and it can be very embarrasing for him if he's with friends. I'm trying to do something with his weight but it's hard because he eats an incredible amount.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 23-Dec-14 20:05:14

try age 12-13 clothes then or plus size 11-12. My dd is tall but not fat and wears 13-14 tops even though she is only 11.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 20:22:06

if the volume of food is hard to control, then maybe you need to think more about reducing the calorie content whilst gradually making the portions ever so slightly smaller? Just ignore me if I'm saying stuff you already know or are doing.

like for example with spag bol, add in a pile of grated carrot together with the mince and cut down the spaghetti by just 5-10 gramms at a time and he'll never notice - he'll still feel full. If he'll eat vegetables then increase the amount of those and cut down the potatoes/rice/pasta etc.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 20:29:08

ilovepowerhoop - my 13 year old is now too tall for Next age 16 - strangely I am actually finding it easier (though expensive) now that they are proper adult size. Guy in the computer shop today thought my two were 17/18 and 16 today. they aren't even 14 and a half and 13 and a half yet.

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 20:30:12

I've been trying to reduce his portion sizes but he always asks for more food after he's finished a meal, and he often tries to attempt getting food from the kitchen cupboards without asking.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 20:34:21

that's tough, I make mine eat a piece of fruit before any snack - i know that fruit is sugary too and has calories but sometimes they end up not bothering as they don't want the fruit or it fills them up!

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 20:38:55

He rarely manages to actually get food from the cupboards, but this is a bad thing and a good thing: good because the food in the top cupboards is mostly cakes and biscuits which will make him bigger; but bad because it is his weight that stops him from being able to climb up and reach the top cupboards.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 23-Dec-14 20:41:31

well that's an incentive for him to get his weight down a bit then smile

CarolDW Tue 23-Dec-14 21:20:27

I suppose it is smile

Marian123 Mon 09-Feb-15 11:20:24

more for kids have excellent plus size clothes for boys and tey are immensly helpful over the phone re sizing. Their website is www.moreforkidsuk.com

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: