Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Cath Kidston awful service advice please

(9 Posts)
nickstmoritz Mon 08-Dec-14 13:28:49

I bought a pair of PJs for my (17 YO) daughter in Cath Kidston Selfridges. Now these were a major splash out at £50 but they were very sweet xmas ones - I normally get them from Primark. Anyway one wear and one wash and the piping on the ankle has come all undone. I called the customer service as I don't live near Selfridges it was a day trip but have a CK store about 40 mins away. The customer service person was awful and basically said I could send them back to the head office at my own expense and they MIGHT exchange them and MIGHT refund the postage. I could try returning them to Selfridges (miles away) but that they probably would not do anything if I took them back to a closer CK store. No apology no returns label - we will only exchange them if we think it is a fault otherwise we will send them back to you. It IS a fault and I don't expect that to cause me loads of hassle. I felt so cross I went to review them on the website and lo and behold "there is a problem in submitting this review try again later" (very factual review with 2 stars...hmm no low stars allowed???) Thought I would take back to the store near me and ask them if they think it is a fault (what else is it??) and see if they will help. Anyone else had a problem? I can see that if I try to send them to head office I will probably not get it sorted before xmas. I am really peeved with this. At £50 I would expect better.

WhatchaMaCalllit Mon 08-Dec-14 14:33:25

If you have the receipt, I'd make my way to the nearest CK store to you and say that these are not fit for the purpose intended (which would be wearing and washing afterwards as they are already fraying at the seams and edges) and under the Sale of Goods & Supply of Services Act, you are entitled to a refund. I'd then take my �50 and go to Primark as normal!

Alternatively, you could phone back your nearest CK store and ask to speak with the manager and see if there is anything they could suggest (in relation to getting the faulty ones back to them and getting a refund).

nickstmoritz Mon 08-Dec-14 14:47:23

Thanks I will take them to the nearest store and see what happens. It is so annoying and after a quick look online it seems their returns policy isn't that great. Back to Primark then!!

Tiredemma Mon 08-Dec-14 14:49:02

Not much use to you but in a 'serendipity' kind of way you have convinced me not to purchase expensive items for my own DD from CK.

So they have lost a sale there by being a bit crap at customer service.

nickstmoritz Mon 08-Dec-14 15:18:01

To be honest I have bought loads of the Primark flanelette type PJs over the years as I usually get them at xmas for the 3 DCs - they have lasted ages and never had a problem. The CK ones are soft and very sweet with a little dog pattern and as we have a foxy terrier I couldn't resist but crikey at £50 I would expect amazing quality and at least to take one careful wash!! Yes Tiredemma don't bother! I just can't imagine any other so called reputable company acting like that and this was the website contact help not just a shop assistant that might not be up to speed!

LIZS Mon 08-Dec-14 15:21:51

Unfortunately your contract is with Selfridges not CK themselves , so anything they offer is out of goodwill.

nickstmoritz Mon 08-Dec-14 15:34:43

Well that should be made clear by the concessions when you purchase an item as it appears to be a CK store inside Selfridges not just a few CK bits on sale - it is set up like a fairly large store area with a separate till.

WhatchaMaCalllit Wed 10-Dec-14 15:15:40

Just wondering if you've had any success OP?

KarenHillavoidJimmyswarehouse Wed 10-Dec-14 15:23:53

Oh it makes me so mad when companies do this! Their product or service is the problem but it causes you hassle to sort out and then not letting you leave a factual review. I'm looking at you John Lewis with your ridiculous suggestions of how I could resolve your error

Keep us posted OP - I like to know in advance where has shoddy service.

Also, I think that while the PP might technically be right that your contract is with Selfridges, surely the fact that they are willing to receive the product returned at CK Head Office means they're not actually rigid on that - just being awkward?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now