Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Boys velcro skate shoe type trainers size 3 for wide foot/high instep

(10 Posts)
lynniep Fri 21-Nov-14 16:56:24

DS1 who is 7 has grown out of his most perfect trainers - Fitflop funsneakers - guttingly these were discontinued and cannot be located anywhere. Oh except for the shop in Thailand which I nicked this photo from to show you what they are like (although his are blue suede). They are Comfy. Wide. velcro fastening. Perfect. Unavailable... ( I did show him the womens as they start at 3, but they are all laceup, and apparently not cool. He has a point.)

He struggles big time with footwear and detests wearing anything new. I said I'd try to find something similar for the christmas holidays, but I am failing. He measures an H in Clarks, and has a high instep, but there's nothing in there that is like this. I showed him pics online and what he wants is more of a skate shoe style as opposed to a trainer style as this is closer to the style of the fitflops.

Can anyone recommend something like this / a brand that does wider footwear as standard?
This is casual wear, so its not like is urgent, but I am making it my mission to find him something he likes. He really wants velcro (quick off) and I think he might even settle for high tops of some kind. They will be used for normal kid stuff like running around/kicking stuff/climbing.

5madthings Fri 21-Nov-14 16:57:56

My boys have wide feet with a high instep and they wear geox or ricosta Shoes, they do Velcro ones and lots of diff designs.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 21-Nov-14 16:59:21

Skechers tend to be a roomier fit, although I haven't bought any children's shoes from there. Might be worth a look though.

5madthings Fri 21-Nov-14 17:03:17

Or sketchers?

lynniep Fri 21-Nov-14 17:20:43

thank you - I will have a look at those brands!

lynniep Mon 01-Dec-14 11:19:15

Just an update.
I bought him 3 pairs to try - a pair of Etnies skater-style velcro ones which are similarish to the style of the fitflops. Too tight on the sides although they look ok from the outside. BHS high tops. Too tight all over.
Sketchers Kelp He loves these and they seem to fit really well with wide feet and high instep. He was a bit unsure of high tops to begin with but these look cool and he didn't complain once on the first day of wearing about any kind of discomfort (and this is rare indeed) Bonus - only 20 quid for his size!

dayshiftdoris Mon 01-Dec-14 11:28:37

I have been here plus with added sensory issues caused by his ASD...

These are wide and comfy - I know they are lace ups but I just double knot tightly and he slips them on and off.

direct.asda.com/george/boys/shoes-boots/neon-panel-hi-tops/G004860492,default,pd.html

He also has a pair of Airwalk but as brand they generally are not wide fit even though they look it as the padding takes up room. You have to try before you buy with Airwalk

For school shoes I get them fitted at a place that has trained fitters and normally he ends up with Ricosta or Geox

Good luck - I dread new shoes time

dayshiftdoris Mon 01-Dec-14 11:30:09

Sorry crossed post

I am off to look at Sketchers - thanks Kelp grin

dayshiftdoris Mon 01-Dec-14 11:31:44

Clearly Kelp is name of the shoe blush

lynniep Mon 01-Dec-14 12:12:54

LOL. Its always worth a try. Free postage and returns on Amazon for the Kelp and only 20 quid smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now