Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

what would you say is the basic necessary wardrobe for a baby?

(12 Posts)
TheKidsAreAllWrong Sat 02-Jul-11 17:41:29

I'm not really getting to grips with when i'll need bodysuits or vests or rompers or playsuits or sleepsuits (Ok, the last couple, I guess the clue is in the name wink) or whatever and how many of each is a reasonable supply?? would value some suggestions. Also, does it matter on the age (e.g. 0-3 months tend to be in bodsuits more than 6-9 month olds)? I'm so clueless. Maybe I'll just move somewhere warm and let the baby be naked all the time....

kalo12 Sat 02-Jul-11 17:47:01

3 vests 3 sleepsuits for first lot, then see how it goes, by six months i was so fed up with fastening poppers and just had vest, trousers/tights and cardigan

TheKidsAreAllWrong Sat 02-Jul-11 18:47:31

Thanks, kalo

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 18:59:16

I think sleepsuits/rompers/playsuits are pretty much the same thing.

I just got lots (reflux babies so needed loads) of babygrows that came in packs and short sleeved or sleeveless vests. I would put socks on top of the babygrows if chilly which looked quite cute and a little cardi. That's the basics really.

GreenTeapot Sat 02-Jul-11 19:04:47

Yeah, you can't have too many vests. Mine wore vest and babygro (ie sleepsuit/playsuit/romper thing) until they hit around 6 or 7 months. Before they can move themselves around I didn't like them in waistbands. A couple of cardis and you're sorted. You'll also be given so many outfits you'll be swamped with clothes before you know it. smile

supadupapupascupa Sat 02-Jul-11 19:07:49

vests have a bit that goes between the legs by the way. noone explained this to me!!
always wear a vest underneath whatever else is being worn.
i just had lots of babygrows (sleepsuits etc)

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 19:17:31

supadupapupascupa I didn't understand that either! I didn't understand that you wore a vest under babygrows and things. I didn't know ANYTHING!

BornToFolk Sat 02-Jul-11 19:24:27

Don't buy too much. People love to buy baby clothes and you'll probably find that you get giving a ton.
Buy a few packs of vests and sleepsuits in newborn and 0-3 months, and that's pretty much all you need. Remember that Tesco etc sell baby clothes so you can get hold of more really easily.

PrettyMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-11 19:37:37

Also chose clothes for comfort rather then style (if you have to chose one). Babygrows on babies are so comfy with no waistbands digging it and look really cute, compared to say a little set of shirt and jeans where the material may be rough..

notcitrus Sat 02-Jul-11 19:46:51

About a dozen babygros (the things with arms and legs and go over the feet) and dozen vests (like vests with poppers between the legs, may have short sleeves). Couple cardis or jackets if it's cold, 'snowsuit' (like a babygro made of duvet) if really cold. And a couple washable blankets.

It's not compulsory to do up all the poppers, nor to dress your baby in cute outfits.

See what friends+neighbours etc end up giving you before buying any. Freecycle and Ebay have tons of baby stuff as it gets worn so little.

TheKidsAreAllWrong Sun 03-Jul-11 19:29:44

thanks everyone, this is really helpful. especially the vests thing - I had no idea they needed to wear those under their other stuff. fussy, aren't they? wink

notcitrus Sun 03-Jul-11 19:50:57

Depends on the weather - in hot summer, vest by itself. Cooler summer - babygro alone. Autumn - vest and babygro. Winter - add a layer. Bit like for fussy grownups. smile

They say babies should wear one more layer than you do - though as I'm a wuss and ds isn't, he tends to wear one layer less than me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now