Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Would you buy reconditioned secondhand shoes for your DD or DG?

(14 Posts)
Babyshoeswapshopper Tue 12-Apr-11 23:09:12

It's a funny one I know.
I have a 4yo and 18 month old and the frequency/cost of buying shoes for them is mad. So it's started me thinking about starting a business/service that buys, reconditions and sells pre-loved baby, toddler, junior shoes (only the high quality, well-made brands). But would it catch on? How much would you pay for a pair of nearly new, reconditioned (polished, cleaned, with new insole) toddler shoes? if indeed you would..... and would you sell your old shoes on or rather donate them?

I guess I'm also trying to find an alternative to only being able to buy blooming pink shoes at £30 a pop for my not yet 2 yr old! thanks for your help

MillsAndDoom Wed 13-Apr-11 09:22:35

I always thought that children shouldn't wear second hand shoes as the imprint of the previous wearer can cause their foot some difficulties.

But I could have imagined it.

SchrodingersCatFliesToOz Wed 13-Apr-11 09:28:30

No second hand clothes all the way, always new shoes even if it is a PITA. You are lucky at 30 pounds I have to pay more than that, never choose the color as usually only one pair fits.
Stop buying english shoes and go for italian, spanish and french brands, much more color choices, better fit.

51wksApart Wed 13-Apr-11 09:29:23

I was in John Lewis this weekend with DD (18 months) and DS (2 years) who both needed new shoes. They didn't have any sandals in her size (!) but said that she was fine to wear his from last year which were that size she needed. They are a bit battered and I queried exactly your point Mills, and they said it was fine. I will get her some of her own soon though!

ZZZenAgain Wed 13-Apr-11 09:30:13

no, not shoes

noddyholder Wed 13-Apr-11 09:31:29

How do you recondition worn shoes?

LIZS Wed 13-Apr-11 09:31:32

Sandals may be a bit different but the uppers on enclosed shoes stretch with wear as well as the insole and sole, so no.

edam Wed 13-Apr-11 09:34:22

No, I would never buy second-hand shoes. Very bad for growing feet. Afraid I'd think any business that sold them was unethical as it would be making money out of damaging children and risking life-long problems. There are other areas to save money - second-hand clothes, fine, second-hand shoes, very bad idea indeed.

ilythia Wed 13-Apr-11 09:35:00

Mine have worn second hand shoes, but only things like boots, beach shoes or flip flops. For 'proper' shoes liek trainers or school shoes I either go to a supermarket and get their generic trainers or to brantano and get decent brands for a tenner.

A friend used to be a shoe fitter and she showed me what to look for when trying on shoes. there is a video on the web somewhere that shows you how to check fit yourself.

Never set foot in clarks.

edam Wed 13-Apr-11 09:35:24

(And I wouldn't trust what a shop assistant says without checking with a chiropodist or podiatrist.)

bookygirl123 Sat 16-Apr-11 16:23:36

I always scour ebay for shoes for my dcs before buying new from shops if desperate. I only buy Start Rite and Clarks because of the width fittings. If they are second hand, I make sure there isn't excessive wear to the soles (eg worn to one side, which could affect another child's walking posture), then give them a good wipe with milton, let them dry out, and there we go!!

I think it's an absolute waste of money and shoes (that have hardly been worn a lot of the time) not to do this.

I do this for me too, not just dcs!

Himalaya Sat 16-Apr-11 16:47:09

To be honest I always thought the ' health risks of second hand shoes' was a marketing ploy by Clarkes. I have bought kids second hand shoes from charity shops and handmedowns before (not really battered on though). I am not sure there is a viable business in it though, maybe an eBay trade?

edam Mon 18-Apr-11 00:25:58

Himalaya - ask a chiropodist and they will tell you second hand shoes really are a bad idea. You don't have to buy from Clarks but you do have to buy new shoes and have them properly fitted. (We get ds's from a local independent shoe shop.)

Babyshoeswapshopper Thu 07-Jul-11 14:48:13

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions... very interesting. The podiatrists and child physios I have spoken to have not been totally damning of the premise of using pre-worn shoes, they simply make the point that actually young children should be barefoot as much of the time as possible, or in soft shoes (while indoors for instance) and as long as the shoes are changed often and you can measure/fit them well yourself there isn't a problem. but I suspect it is more of a personal matter.... anyway, thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now