Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

baby sleepwear without the poppers

(21 Posts)
ashlyns Wed 12-Jan-11 21:22:08

I am currently doing market research in the hope to progress an idea. Since a friend of mine has had a major problem since having her twins. We are hoping to develop a baby grow that does not have to be fastened with poppers but velcro....
We are developing a baby grow that fastens from the back by simply pulling down the material, from the back which is fastened with velcro, changing the nappy if neccessary then slip the legs back in and it recloses with velcro..
please leave any relevant comments we will take on board..
many thanks

CheckeredFlag Wed 12-Jan-11 21:26:10

I might need a diagram! But good idea in principle, my ds's get their feet stuck between the poppers.

ashlyns Wed 12-Jan-11 21:29:18

The idea is simple but sadly i may not be explaining it so well. if you imagine at the back of the baby grow it is almost like an envelope, which is attached with velcro. you pull that down which enables you to realease the legs and change the grow or change the nappy..

JeanLouiseFinch Wed 12-Jan-11 21:29:18

I was given something similar to this. The brand was Sucre del Oro or Orco. I found that it was very easy to get her into when it was slightly too large, but not easy to just slip her legs back into once the legs actually fitted her.
I like the idea of velcro, but my experience of back fastening babygros hasn't been great. Hope this helps.

JeanLouiseFinch Wed 12-Jan-11 21:31:11

Sorry it was Sucre D'orge.

ashlyns Wed 12-Jan-11 21:33:17

Thank you, can i ask what the problems with the back fastening were?

JeanLouiseFinch Wed 12-Jan-11 21:40:05

The back fastening was horizontal, sort of like an envelope as you mentioned. To bring it up over the legs I had to put her half in then bend her over to push her legs in. It meant moving her more than necessary, and once there wasn't any extra space in the fabric it became quite awkward and I gave up using it. Shame really, I don't think it was cheap.

crumpetsolo Wed 12-Jan-11 21:42:50

Hasn't the problem of doing up poppers already been solved with baby bags? - John Lewis sell them, they have a drawstring bottom.

Sirzy Wed 12-Jan-11 21:44:08

I can imagine the back fastening being quite awkward to manoeuvre, espeically at night changes when you want as little disruption as possible.

Jojay Wed 12-Jan-11 21:45:59

IMHE, any baby clothes that do up at the back are a PITA. I consciously avoid them - sorry.

JeanLouiseFinch Wed 12-Jan-11 21:46:27

I would agree with crumpet. Those baby sacks are great. I have also used sleepsuits that have a zip from top to bottom and they are very easy to use. They were called Hatley and I think they were also from John Lewis.

ashlyns Thu 13-Jan-11 09:52:46

Thank you for the feed back. The prototype we have has velcro that runs horizontal from hip to hip. We have allowed excess material for the likes of the nappy and movement of the baby grow when putting on and off... So far we have tried it on many babies and it has been a success. We have also allowed material at the joints for movement in knees, elbows etc.
I have seen the baby bags and they are a suitable alternative i agree, personally i do not like them. To me its the restriction and almost like an adult sleeping in a sleeping bag all the time..

Sirzy Thu 13-Jan-11 11:03:33

I'm confused now. So do you have to put the baby is through a gap in the back of the baby grow?

Sounds like a pita to me, can't say I would pick it up in the shops!

LoopyLoopsIsNoLongerFestive Thu 13-Jan-11 11:05:44

Boots do a range, for prem babies with velcro.

DirtyMartini Thu 13-Jan-11 11:09:53

I wouldn't buy something with a velcro fastening, because it makes noise when opened, disturbing a sleepy baby (eg during night changes when you sometimes want to avoid waking them fully); and also because it gets all stuck to other laundry in the machine, sometimes damaging what it sticks to, and the velcro ends up all clogged with laundry fluff. I know you can minimise this by fastening the velcro shut before laundering but frankly I haven't the patience to add another task to my laundry process.

I do already avoid buying bibs that fasten with velcro because of this, so it's enough of a PITA that I think you might want to consider it.

Bramshott Thu 13-Jan-11 11:11:47

I have some babygros from the 1970s with zips. Very practical and easy - although better if the zip goes from the neck downwards like sleeping bags do, rather than the opposite with the risk of pinching their skin.

bellabelly Thu 13-Jan-11 11:14:27

Yes, the velcro on all my bibs is practically useless now because of all the fluff etc from the tumble dryer and I am too lazy busy to spend ages unpicking it. Also, I would never buy anything back-fastening, was given a sleep suit with back fastening and it was a total pain for all the reasons previous posters have said. As a mum of 2 sets of twins myelf, I'd still rather deal with poppers. Sorry to be negative.

DirtyMartini Thu 13-Jan-11 12:38:48

What is the problem with poppers, anyway?confused I mean, they can be a minor hassle but really, I've never thought they were anything more than that.

Not like buttons. Buttons on baby clothes are a nightmare.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 13-Jan-11 12:39:51

I hate velcro. It ruins lovely hand-knitted cardigans in the wash. So I would never buy anything that fastens with it I'm afraid! I replaced all the velcro bibs I had with popper ones.

I had a babygrow that fastened at the back like you describe, the legs tucked in and then it fastened horizontally. Lovely but I did wonder if it was uncomfortable for the baby.

dixiechick1975 Thu 13-Jan-11 12:45:53

Good idea if it worked. Could be popular with disabled mums/grandmas eg arthritis making it difficult to do poppers.

My DD has one hand and whilst helping me change my niece I realised there was no way she could do all the poppers.

ashlyns Thu 13-Jan-11 18:38:23

Thank's again for any feed back. I believe some will like the idea of velcro and some will hate it. Parents disabled or with dexterity problems may benefit alot however as the previous dixiechick 1975 comments..
These comments have been very useful, and will certainly help us in any final decisions. We are at this minute looking into a product where the material stick's to itself so there will be no popper, velcro zips.. You literally touch fabric with fabric and it seals. This is in the very early stages, but could be the answer to everyones problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now