Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing clothes and shoes. If you want to buy or sell them, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards for Adults or Children.

Tights for baby boys?

(58 Posts)
QueenOfFlamingEverything Wed 29-Sep-10 21:34:32

I would like some tights for DS (7 weeks).

All I can find is girly ones or white/cream ones - obviously he isn't going to care, but it'd be nice to get some in red, or green, or non-gendered stripes or something.

Anyone have any ideas?

BooBooGlass Wed 29-Sep-10 21:36:48

Boots or Mothercare are a good bet, but expensive. My ds is 2 now but we cracked open the tights for the first time this year today. It's getting cold and hid trousers always ride up in the buggy. You'll get people who are horrified at putting a boy in tights btw. Ignore them, they are clearly bonkers

omnomnomtom Wed 29-Sep-10 21:37:19

Not sure if they have any at the moment but I've bought DS blue striped ones from H+M in the past

thatsnotmymonkey Wed 29-Sep-10 21:37:48

Primark- got some lovely black/white striped ones, red/white striped one and some plain navy, red and white ones. Cheap and cheerful.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 29-Sep-10 21:37:53

John Lewis sell them. As do M&S larger stores. Yes they are expensive but buy a bigger size, they last ages.

DirtyMartini Wed 29-Sep-10 21:38:56

I saw some in the White Company catalogue, a two-pack in china blue and charcoal grey.

FlutterbyPurpleToffee Wed 29-Sep-10 21:39:15

Really tights for a boy?

Have you seen these as an alternative?

SweetnessAndShite Wed 29-Sep-10 21:39:33

I had DS1 in tights 5 years ago! Never met anyone IRL who has done it before but everyone I've mentioned it to has said, "what a great idea!" I went with the plain cream ones but hope you find the ones you're looking for.

pebblejones Wed 29-Sep-10 21:40:33

I wanted to buy my DS tights (he's almost 6 months)... My DH said that I can't put him in tights!
I'm thinking purely of warmth for him!
I've never seen them for sale in the UK though, only Germany, so I shall watch this with interest.

DirtyMartini Wed 29-Sep-10 21:44:41

I don't get it, what exactly are people bothered by? Flutter, why do you think it's odd (I'm assuming from your post that you do)? Tiny babies just want to be comfy and warm, and tights are both.

I never put tights on DS when he was tiny but only because it never actually occurred to me. It seems eminently sensible.

I always wonder if the people who don't like it are the same people who think babies ought to be in "outfits", eg tiny stiff horrid jeans etc, whenever they go out, instead of soft comfy babygros.

orienteerer Wed 29-Sep-10 21:46:36

Absolutely normal on colder parts of the continent (H&M was usually a good source).

PotPourri Wed 29-Sep-10 21:47:01

Sorry, I'm from the 'boys don't wear tights' school of thought. A german friend gave me some navy tights for my ds - I was really shocked (and promptly gave them to my neighbour who had a baby girl!)

orienteerer Wed 29-Sep-10 21:47:02

.....in colder......

DirtyMartini Wed 29-Sep-10 21:49:42

But why not, Potpourri?

QueenOfFlamingEverything Wed 29-Sep-10 21:49:53

Baby legs do not fulfil the warm-feet-with-no-gaps function that tights do!

Primark - good idea, I'd never have thought of there! Now where's the nearest one [in the sticks emoticon]

Someone suggested german ebay but my german is not up to that grin

BooBooGlass Wed 29-Sep-10 21:50:03

But why??
It's not like I'm going to give him a frilly dress to wear over the top (though he does havea tutu he is rather fond of wink. It's a question of keeping warm, noting more. But if you'd rather let your ds get cold legs than wear a 'girls' garment, your call.

overmydeadbody Wed 29-Sep-10 21:51:07

Why Potpouri?!

In Scandanavia it is normal for boys to wear tights, they'd freeze otherwise.

I see nothing wrong with boys in tights, or indeed leggings (just like long johns really) under trousers.

OP you can get them in H&M, John Lewis, Zara, Pumpkin Patch, Marks and Spencer etc etc, you just might need to look in the girl's section.

DS wears leggings (bought in the girls' section of shops) when we go camping in autumn and winter. He would literally freeze without them.

DirtyMartini Wed 29-Sep-10 21:51:13

And why "really shocked"? It's a well-intentioned gift, not something horrible hmm

Don't worry, I can kind of guess, you just think it's somehow wrong ... <sigh>

QueenOfFlamingEverything Wed 29-Sep-10 21:51:52

Hmmm - nearest Primark is 20 miles away. Thatsnotmymonkey - how long ago did you get them? Was it recently?

katiepotatie Wed 29-Sep-10 21:52:09

John Lewis do boyish ones, although ds (16 mnths) is wearing dd's plain ones under his trousers now the weather has got colder

cakeretention Wed 29-Sep-10 21:52:52

here

thatsnotmymonkey Wed 29-Sep-10 21:53:03

potpurri- nice to see you gender stereo-typing from as young an age as possible! hmm

overmydeadbody Wed 29-Sep-10 21:53:55

I would question anyone who would rather their child was cold than wear the 'wrong' gender clothing.

overmydeadbody Wed 29-Sep-10 21:56:08

queen have you trid ebay?

DirtyMartini Wed 29-Sep-10 21:56:16

Especially as a newborn hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now