Talk

Advanced search

Big new report - will we take the right path?

(6 Posts)
PintOfMineralWater Wed 10-Oct-18 01:17:31

The IPCC has released a report - the news does not sound good. But on the other hand, it has offered a clear road map.

The question is, will we take it?

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/09/trump-climate-change-report-ipcc-response

PintOfMineralWater Wed 10-Oct-18 10:25:07

Bump for day crowd

Enb76 Wed 10-Oct-18 10:30:23

As far as I'm concerned we are fucked - there is no way that we will make the changes that are required to slow down climate change, it goes against too many business interests. And who suffers? The poor mostly and better than that, the poor in countries that have no ability to carry out that changes that are required.

I think it's now down to: this is going to happen, how do we make it the least painful for the most people.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 10-Oct-18 18:19:13

I don't think the big enough changes will be initiated in the next few years. They said we have around 12 years though and I wonder if in five to eight years people might be inclined to action? There has been a lot of media coverage of the extreme weather disasters, if they continue I wonder if that will gather political momentum? Especially if the disasters start to affect the biggest polluters.

The problem is that the lifestyle shift needed in countries like the UK is so substantial.

People I know are buying bamboo toothbrushes but still flying, driving unnecessarily, eating red meat most days, buying imported tat that gets chucked out. The interest is there but not the desire to make any significant sacrifices. I hope this will change soon.

I wonder how these multimillionaires who fund anti-planet campaigns can live with themselves, especially if they have children.

The report did mention a scenario where we overshoot the target to I think 3.7 Fahrenheit (I don't know how many centigrade) but then drastically reduce emissions and carbon capture (does that even exist yet??) and manage to lower temperatures a bit. I wonder if this is possible, or will the world be in such crisis that the global coordination and foresight needed to do this won't be possible?

PintOfMineralWater Wed 10-Oct-18 21:10:28

It's all such a big unknown. I really hope continued coverage and increasing weather events means that this is on people's minds and we galvanise our governments into action - agreed that small changes like bamboo toothbrushes aren't going to be the ones that help us.

I have a lot of hope for the younger people with a greater understanding of climate change and a drive for a better future, but I wonder if we can galvanise ourselves in time.

I must say I am not feeling very optimistic.

"The report did mention a scenario where we overshoot the target to I think 3.7 Fahrenheit (I don't know how many centigrade) but then drastically reduce emissions and carbon capture (does that even exist yet??) and manage to lower temperatures a bit."

I saw that too. But the reality of a 3 degrees+ climate doesn't bear thinking about. And relying on technology that hasn't been perfected or even invented is very dangerous.

rwilk Fri 12-Oct-18 16:24:38

If you would like to get involved there is a group called Extinction Rebellion (find us on fb) who are planning mass actions this Autumn to try and get the government to start engaging in this issue seriously (in the last few months they've given the new terminal at Heathrow the green light and the fracking in Lincolnshire - not only given permission but they've also downgraded the earthquake thresholds, meaning it's much less safe). They are making lots of the right noises but none of the right actions. It would be great to get more mums involved - we need that lioness rage! xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: