Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Squint surgery - how long off school?

(7 Posts)
whoopstheregoesmymerkin Mon 05-Jul-10 21:33:02

My DS (5 in october) is having squint surgery on Sept 2. He starts 'big school' on the 6th Sept, going in the afternoons for two hours for first two weeks.

Has anyone got any experience of this op and can tell me about recovery times? The hospital said it really depends on the individual as long as he has at least 48 hours rest.

I am in a quandary, do I tell the school he will have to miss his first week just to be on the safe side?
It won't matter will it, bless him? He is so looking forward to school. Arrg!

CMOTdibbler Mon 05-Jul-10 21:34:27

I've had it twice (and the second time I was 18), and he should be fine to start on the 6th, especially as it's only 2 hours a day

fairysparkle67 Mon 05-Jul-10 21:41:27

My wee boy has had this op twice ( at 12mnths and 24 mnths) both times he was totally fine the next day, although we kept him at home for 24 hrs.I would think your DS would be fine to go to school the next day.

whoopstheregoesmymerkin Tue 06-Jul-10 13:31:03

Brilliant, thank you so much for your replies, it's put my mind at rest and he won't miss out

RosyBelle Tue 20-Jul-10 12:15:13

I needed to post just to warn you that my DD started reception class on 6th Sept and had squint surgery in the UK on 9th October. Our consultant told us on the day of the operation that it is a minimum of 2 weeks off school - compulsory (prevents infection).

Just wanted to warn you so its not a shock on the day if they say the same thing.

Seona1973 Tue 20-Jul-10 14:49:54

DD went back to nursery after a week off - it was in case she got bumped/banged and hurt her eye.

whoopstheregoesmymerkin Thu 22-Jul-10 08:43:18

just seen thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now