Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5 week old baby with high levels of calcium in blood - Does anyone know what can cause this? And dd is generally unwell

(22 Posts)
mummytopebs Fri 26-Feb-10 16:03:12

DD 5 Weeks had a virus last week and is still not well in herself, she had bloods took to rule out infection and they came up with high calcium levels. The blood test was repeated a week later and this to has come back high. Hospital are going to repeat in a month. Does anyone know what can cause a high calcium level in blood, or if i should be looking out for anything cos dd still not to well, has just cried all day today and unsure wether to take her to gp.

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 26-Feb-10 16:08:03

Message withdrawn

mummytopebs Sat 27-Feb-10 20:24:48

Thanks for response. I hope it is just one of those things but am worried it might not be because that is why they repeated it.

Has anyone else got any knowledge on high calcium levels in blood x

CharlieBoo Sat 27-Feb-10 20:32:00

Have you asked hospital what it would/could indicate? I have no idea but wanted to bump for you x

alypaly Sun 28-Feb-10 18:30:43

wait for the results.......dont google.

mummytopebs Sun 28-Feb-10 19:50:48

Ihavent googled and i didnt ask the hospital cos thought i would just wait to see next results x Was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this x

alypaly Sun 28-Feb-10 22:55:34

i would go back to g. you know your baby better than anyone....a month is a long time to wait if she is poorly

alypaly Sun 28-Feb-10 22:55:47

gp

DaisymooSteiner Sun 28-Feb-10 23:11:06

Hi, high calcium does not indicate hyperthyroidism, but can be an indicator of a problem with the parathyroid, although this is extremely rare in babies.

Did they take blood from you to check your calcium level? Did they check your baby's parathyroid hormone levels?

I'm an adult with hypercalcemia which is caused by something called Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcaemia, which is a totally harmless condition. I will have had a high calcium since I was a baby (although it was only discovered a few years ago) and some of my children had hypercalcaemia since birth too. It is pretty rare, but just to reassure you that a high calcium level can be totally harmless.

mummytopebs Mon 01-Mar-10 20:15:13

Thanks for that daisy moo it is reassuring to know that it can be harmless.

Do you or your children have the gland thing? I have looked at that on the net and it mentions it can happen if mam has diabetes, i had gestational diabetes. Also dd has lost her voice twice since she was born, do you think this could happen with problem of neck gland?

mummytopebs Mon 01-Mar-10 20:15:47

Thanks for that daisy moo it is reassuring to know that it can be harmless.

Do you or your children have the gland thing? I have looked at that on the net and it mentions it can happen if mam has diabetes, i had gestational diabetes. Also dd has lost her voice twice since she was born, do you think this could happen with problem of neck gland?

DaisymooSteiner Mon 01-Mar-10 20:46:14

Do you mean a problem with the parathyroid gland? Yes, I have parathyroid hyperplasia and a possible parathyroid adenoma. I've never heard of it being associated with gestational diabetes, although hypocalcaemia (low calcium) can I think. I would be surprised if a problem with the parathyroid could cause voice loss - it's certainly not a symptom I've ever heard of.

Personally, if it was me I would be trying to get to the bottom of this now rather than waiting for another month, as although there can be causes of a high calcium level which are nothing to worry about, it is never normal to have a raised calcium, there is always a reason for it.

Do you know if they did check her parathyroid hormone levels?

mummytopebs Mon 01-Mar-10 20:57:27

Not sure if they checked the parathyroid levels. I know they had done full blood count to check for infection when it wsa first discovered, then the next blood test they ddid to see if still raised they checked for calcium, potassium and liver function.

What were your symptoms that indicated a problem?

DaisymooSteiner Mon 01-Mar-10 21:03:02

I didn't have any symptoms, it was found on a routine blood test when I was admitted for another reason. Symptoms of high calcium can be really vague - excessive thirst, indigestions, tiredness, depression.

CharlieBoo Mon 01-Mar-10 22:57:14

Tbh I really think you should ask your gp more about what this can indicate. I hope your dd is better soon and it's just one of those things. X

mummytopebs Tue 02-Mar-10 22:42:10

Well the hospital rang today and asked me to take dd in cos they had decided to repeat the tests earlier than 4 weeks. They didnt manage to get any blood from her after 5 attempts she was black and blue and in agony!! They are going to try again next week.

I asked what they were testing for and they just said they had to re test cos of the calaium level in the blood. When they went out of the room i had a sneaky look at the envelope they were going to send to lab and it said they were testing for hyperthyroid, does anyone know anything about this?

DaisymooSteiner Tue 02-Mar-10 22:43:55

Are you sure it didn't say hyperparathyroidism? The parathyroid is the gland which regulates the amount of calcium in the blood.

mummytopebs Tue 02-Mar-10 23:22:58

Yes that was it, it was in the consultants scrawl so hard to read. He had also wrote something else on beginning with hyper but couldnt make that out at all after hyper. Is that what you and your family have daisymoo?

DaisymooSteiner Wed 03-Mar-10 10:22:41

The condition I have is normally abbreviated as FHH, wouldn't expect to see it written out in full on a lab request as it's so long! It's good that they're getting onto it now, but it's difficult to speculate what might be causing it. Do come back and let us know what happens. Sorry to hear that it was so distressing for your dd.

MamatoWill Sun 19-May-13 11:37:57

Hi there, my gorgeous bubba boy has hypercalcemia caused by a rare genetic condition. I'm totally freaking out as it seems to be so rare...I'm looking for support and hopefully reassurance from your experiences with hypercalcemia. I hope to hear from you soon x

Ada82 Thu 24-Oct-13 20:30:42

MamatoWill, sorry to hear that. My son (almost 8 months old) has kidney stones due to high calcium & recurrent UTIs because of it. They're looking into it, but on meds until Dec (which he HATES!)
I'd really like to hear your story, how it all came to light etc. x

verytiredmummy1 Thu 02-Mar-17 22:40:23

Sorry to bump this but has anyone else's baby had hypercalcemia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now